Its Official -- Sasha/Robin Split | Golden Skate

Its Official -- Sasha/Robin Split

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
According to www.sashacohen.com, Sasha is returning to John Nicks and California, and will no longer be coached by Robin Wagner. Hopefully, the sunshine will help her back to heal.

kyla2

Final Flight
She never should have left him to begin with. I think this will only help her for the long term. If for some reason this doesn't work, it could mean the end of her competitive career. She needs to buckle down and listen to him.

MidnightNess

Rinkside
I'm still reeling from this. I expected a split from Robin-the lack of communication between the two as of late was obvious but all the way back to California? I hope this is the last split, Cohen needs to stop switching coaches. I think along with the stamina issue goes with the problem of trying to conform to a coach's training methods every 18 months or so.

skatepixie

On the Ice
I think its a good move. Based on what she said in her journal, she wasnt happy back east. Being unhappy hurts your performence. I dont think this is a move away from Robin as much as its a move back to her roots and back to where she feels happy. Who are we to judge her for trying to be happy?

IDLERACER

Medalist
"I've had it to here with these blasted New England liberals! I'm going back to the one red area of California and doing what I should've been doing for the last two years! Arguing with Mr. Nicks and going on massive shopping sprees with Tiffany Stiegler!"
She didn't really say that. I'm just being a stinker. :p

There's a fabulous condo in Manhattan for sale now!! Since the owners must move, the price is negotiable in the buyer's favor.

As for Sasha. It's her life, and so close to Nats. She'll be fine.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I too am glad she is back with Mr. Nicks. I always thought that was a good match-up for her in the first place........42

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Ogre Mage said:
Well color me surprised. She's like Bobek all over again.
I disagree. Sasha trains very hard, whereas Nicole was known for her lack of discipline and being somewhat of a bad girl, partier, etc.

I think she had more spark/ fire when she was with Mr. Nicks. May she regain some of that now. There's no place like home.... :)

Lotta

On the Ice
So I'm betting her family will remain in the east coast? It's time for her to move on her own!

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Oh I think her family will move with her. Her father's business is in California not on the east coast. That could be one of the reasons for the coaching switch. I also think being homesick affected her more than she could have ever imagined. And I don't think she got the results she thought she would get with either TT or Robin. I think she had some fire with Nicks, but she did with TT as well. But I never did like Nicks as her coach. I think that was more because Sasha kept changing her programs when she skated. Now that she's two years older and more mature, he may be good for her.

I just wish her the best and hope to see her on the podium at Nationals.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well, I guess there's no use voting in the "How should Sasha decorate her New York apartment?" poll :biggrin:

Fossi

Final Flight
What a shocker...NOT! Very Bobek like indeed.
I have a feeling Sasha was too much of a diva for Robin. They didn't connect in the Kiss n Cry and Marshall's.
Message to Robin: SARAH! :love:

Crizzy

Rinkside
I am just shocked. WOW. Even though they've known each other for years there will be a readjustment period like with all other moving around. Now, the question is will she be with Mr. Nicks even after Nationals? She didn't exactly say permanent more like up to Nats on mid January or something like that.

Good luck to her. I'm sure she'll be more happier in California

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
attyfan said:
According to www.sashacohen.com, Sasha is returning to John Nicks and California, and will no longer be coached by Robin Wagner. Hopefully, the sunshine will help her back to heal.

I looked under news, coach and the diary section but I didn't not see the news!

If it's the case, no surprise for me at all. Rumors have been circulating for a while now. I personally never bought that fake instant love with Robin crap. Nicks will kick her butt and hopefully we will see a more focused, determined Sasha (dare I say the old?). I know she was injured most of the time while with Robin but I didn't see any pluses for Sasha after she left TT and remained healthy (I would argue that her 2nd finish at 2004 Worlds was more of a TT accomplishment than Robin's).

Yana

Fossi

Final Flight
STL_Blues_fan said:
I looked under news, coach and the diary section but I didn't not see the news!

If it's the case, no surprise for me at all. Rumors have been circulating for a while now. I personally never bought that fake instant love with Robin crap. Nicks will kick her butt and hopefully we will see a more focused, determined Sasha (dare I say the old?). I know she was injured most of the time while with Robin but I didn't see any pluses for Sasha after she left TT and remained healthy (I would argue that her 2nd finish at 2004 Worlds was more of a TT accomplishment than Robin's).

Yana

With all due respect to Mr. Nicks, I remember he was often at wits end with her. Back then Sasha was known for being stubborn and very aggressive while on the ice, not backing down, and not taking any crapola from Mr. Nicks. I hope he knows what he's getting himself into again. Then again, Sasha didn't vibe with TT, or Robin, so if Mr. Nicks is willing and available then I wish them well.
Plus I want to see Robin and Sarah together again. :love:

shanilia

Rinkside
As someone already mentioned, this is just like Nicole Bobek. I don't think they're too different. Nicole had a hard time in competitions, just like Sasha. I get the vibe that Sasha keeps changing coaches because she's trying to find the magic coach who can to solve her problems in competitions. She tries Tatiana. Still can't complete clean programs. So she tries Robin. Still can't complete clean programs. So now it's back to John Nicks.

Perhaps a sports phychologist is in order to help her with her mentality during the competition.

Lynn51

Rinkside
Sasha said:
" I will be training with Mr. Nicks through the U.S. Nationals at Portland, Oregon in mid-January"

Does anyone know if she'll still be with Nicks after Nationals?

Lynn

R.D.

Record Breaker
I KNEW IT

actually, am I the only one who thought Wagner was just a temporary switch to cover for the TT split and thought she'd change coaches again? She's gonna be TOASTED on these forums :rofl: