Sno-Seal and the new boot | Golden Skate

Sno-Seal and the new boot

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Hello fellow skaters. This is going to sound like such an elementary question, but I need some input. I just got new Klingbeil's. I love them. They laquered them at the factory and sent Sno-Seal with them. I have never had laquered boots and it does not last that long. So I used the Sno Seal accoding to the directions. I put the Sno Seal on and then used the hair dryer to warm the leather and let it soak in. I have repeated tihs process 3 times. How do you know when you are done? The leather did darken, but is it supposed to darken evenly all over? What about the part that still had the laquer on it?

And, has anyone ever put rhinestones on the heels of their boots? How do you do it?

megsk8z

On the Ice
I have some kind of polymer finish on my boots (think clear shiny bathroom caulk) so my boots don't need sno-sealing.
With that said, when I had a different pair of boots some years ago I did use sno seal and it gave me good results, as long as I remembered to reapply the stuff regularly. I think if you put 3 coats on, your boots should be fine, so long as you remember to sno seal regularly from now on.
Many years ago I had something called "heel varnish" that you put on like shoe polish, but I haven't seen that in years. For my money, sno seal works just fine.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Thanks Meg...I have put it on, so I guess I am committed to it now. Just bought some extra for when it starts to wear. ;)

megsk8z

On the Ice
So tell me abut the rhinestone thing...........I did see a really neat jewel inset on a Jackson blade when their rep came to visit the rink but I've never seen rhinestones on boots.
Where did you get the idea? Do tell!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Rhinestones on the blades!!!!! I would snag those in a heartbeat! I went to an Aurdrey Weseiger seminar in STL this past summer and a little skater there had them. Her initial on the heel of the boot in rhinestones. It looked good. And Shizuka Arakawa haa a rhinestone S on her heels...well, I don't know about the new boots. I just watched the GP final tonight and I think that I saw it there. So I am thinking a little filing to rough up the heel and then attach the stone with some E6000, or gem glue. I will have to experiement. I am hard on equipment and I just got new boots, so I don't want to get too crazy yet. I will keep you posted. Can you give me andymore info about blades with rhinestones in them?

megsk8z

On the Ice
I only saw them when the Jackson rep came. They had a ruby inset by the toe pick. (I would contact Jackson directly and ask them how they can do that). The Jackson rep said something about putting one on Jamie Sale's blade. And that's my 5 seconds to tell you everything I know about this.
Still, I think I'll bug our rep about it next time he calls. If I can figure out how to put stones in my K-Picks, it will give a whole new meaning to "front-loading."

Jenna

Spectator
Ultima blades used to have the option of putting a rhinestone in the toepick. I looked on the Jackson website and I didn't see that option on any of the Ultima blades, so I'm not sure if it's available anymore.

Elena Sokolova used to have a little Russian flag made of rhinestones on her skates. I think a rhinstone accent of some kind of the heel would be cool. Maybe these boot manufacturers or pro shops should look into that. :)

Summerkid

Rinkside
I've seen someone fill those slits on the back of their Graf boots with rhinestones. It was pretty cool.

love2sk8

Rinkside
Glacierskater said:
How do you know when you are done? The leather did darken, but is it supposed to darken evenly all over? What about the part that still had the laquer on it?

The leather is supposed to darken evenly all over, and it is necessary to do it around once every 1-1/2 months, depending on how much you skate..After your done with the blowdryer just wipe the remaining wax off.

Suzy

On the Ice
Now I was told not to put Sno-Seal on the leather part of the boot, only the heal and the sole area.

N

nthuz

You know those tools used to write on wood. It is some kind of thing that burns into the wood. Well if you use one of those to burn a little divet into the leather of the sole (either on the heel or on the bottom) you can then use E6000 to adhere the stone into the divet. This makes it stay much better than just glueing it on the surface.