What does "Qualifying Round" mean? (forgive me for | Golden Skate

What does "Qualifying Round" mean? (forgive me for

R

RED DOG45

What does "Qualifying Round" mean? (forgive me for

Why is there a qualifying round for the world championships? And why are there two groups (are they separate?)

Is this some sort of elimination round or what?

(I hate asking these kinds of questions that are automatic to most people here, but hey, it's only been a year since I've been here)

S

SHINE2002

Re: What does "Qualifying Round" mean? (forgive me

Its whole purpose is to reduce the number of competitors down to 24. Up until 1999 the QR didn't count for anything, but since the ISU thought skaters were not performing up to their ability thus didn't attract more audience, they decided to make the QR count.

C

CartDi

And how come there is not qualifying round for the pairs and dance? Or is there and I just didn't notice it? :x

R

RED DOG45

hmmm...thanks...but why are there two groups?

G

Grgranny

I went to Worlds in 92 in Oakland, CA and you wouldn't believe how many skaters there were before they started the qual's. I didn't know there weren't (or were) for pairs, etc. For dance, they have different kinds. They have always had (I think) 4 rounds for dancers. They have one where they all have to dance the same thing to the same music. When I went it was the polka. Not really caring for the polka any way, sure got old by the time they got done. Also, I doubt there are as many dancers or pairs to begin with, especially dancers. Someone else that has knowledge can explain it more. I know with the Ladies, they had several hours more just because of the number of ladies. And they did cut the free skate down to around 24 or so. I still have my book they handed out that tells who they all were, etc.

N

Nadya Lyubova

The pairs don't have a qualification round, because there are so few pairs anyway.
The dancers eliminate some couples in the compulsory dances (where everyone skates to the same music).

S

Skate Sandee

Don't forget

Don't forget, it wasn't always the case the EVERY skater had to do the QR. IIRC, those skaters who had finished in the top 10 at the previous years Worlds could skip the QR and automatically advance to the SP. (That was at a point where the QR didn't factor into the final score).

I assume their are two groups to make it easier to judge? It would be an awful lot for judges to track over 40 competitors into a context for ranking. But I'm not sure that's the reason.

But because of the two groupings, and because it's counted towards the overall score, it presents some unfairness. It's ridiculous how unbalanced the QR rounds are for the women this year. If they're going to count the QR (which I disagree with anyway), then they should split the groups based on the ISU standings, not the previous Worlds placements. The ISU standings at least factor in the GP results as the season unfolds and would lead to more balanced groups IMHO.

P

Ptichka

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>For dance, they have different kinds. They have always had (I think) 4 rounds for dancers. They have one where they all have to dance the same thing to the same music. When I went it was the polka.[/quote]
Until this season, they used to have 2 rounds of compulsory dances. This season, though, they cut it down to only 1. I wish QR for singles was more like that -- a very short program that EVERYONE has to do. But since the figures have been eliminated, they haven't thought of anything more creative than having skaters do their free twice!

G

Grgranny

Sorry, I couldn't think of the word compulsory. The ambulance took my daughter to the hospital today and my think is worse than usual.

L

Lynn1951

Grgranny,

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter being taken to the hospital. :( I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Lynn