First Day of Winter - Brrrr......... | Golden Skate

First Day of Winter - Brrrr.........

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Today, is the first day of winter. It's actually quite mild here - although rather "nippy." I expect some frost on my car windows in the morning. I wondered why it was so dark this morning when I headed to work. Now I know why - darkest and longest day of the year!!!

4dogknight

Final Flight
Actually, according to the Farmer's Almanac, Winter arrived December 21, 2004, 7:42 a.m.

Here in North Central Texas, it's a cold 27 degrees with 100% humidity and overcast. They are predicting continuing snow showers with a 2 inch accumulation.

The view from my window is stunning but while it's pretty and pristine, I am not driving in it or even planning to.

I've been through two blizzards when I lived in Chicago, one in 1967 and one in 1979, and neither were fun. Of course you do meet a lot of the neighbors while trying to shovel out your side street but once shoveled, the jockeying for parking spots begins and all good feeling is diminished.

But for now I'll look out my window and marvel at the view, taking a snapshot in my mind so I'll remember when the temperature is 110 next summer in North Central Texas.

4dk

Petlover

On the Ice
I remember the Chicago 1967 blizzard. I was just a kid and thought it was great fun! However, as an adult I am very happy to live in Florida. I won't complain, since even when I am cold, you guys have me beat!

katherine2001

On the Ice
It is quite cold here in Montana the last couple of days. It is supposed to get down to -5 tonight and won't be much above 0 tomorrow night (if the weather forecast hasn't totally changed by tomorrow--it's been doing that all the time for the last couple of months--the 5 day forecasts are a great joke). Winter is definitely here. Christmas day may not be too bad (if the forecast for it doesn't change again).

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Got up to 27 here today and now is 11. I guess we can't complain as we had a really good summer and fall. But, to me it's downright cold.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm in NW Montana & the temp. on my patio at 9am this morning is 20 degrees. No wind thank goodness!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
It was 7 here last night and now it's 12. I'm ready for spring. :rofl:
Merry widow can send her heat wave here. :p

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The rain is turning to sleet and temperature dropping into the teens!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I still have alot of my plants in the garage as I haven't had time to clean them up. They probably won't survive now.

4dogknight

Final Flight
Snow is still on the ground but from all the newscasts, the roads are clear. That's good news because even in good weather conditions the driving in and round the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is dicey.

The view from my window is still fairly pristine although some of the snow has melted from under the trees but the view across the road to the hill is very Ansel Adamsey rather than the Currier & Ives of yesterday.

Grgranny: we've had our cactus in the great room for several days now. My better half bought some wagons and all of our cacti fit nicely and can be rolled in and out of the house. These are a different than the little red wagons; these have metal lattice-like sides that can be raised or lowered. Of course our four -foots know enough to stay way but sometimes in course of playtime.....we're grateful for the sides (and so are they).

Looks like all the snow will be gone by Saturday and it will be just another memory to file away for another time.

4dk

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
It was 7 here last night and now it's 12. I'm ready for spring.

This is why I live in San Diego, CA :yes: Temp high 60's and low's in the 40's, rather cold for me. Did I mention the beach was gorgeous today? ;)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This is the coldest weather in "Fogville" that I can remember in quite awhile. Yesterday's high was 38 degrees. My heating bill is going to be astronomical....The fog is here, of course. So much for a safe holiday..... :mad: 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
This is the coldest weather in "Fogville" that I can remember in quite awhile. Yesterday's high was 38 degrees. My heating bill is going to be astronomical....The fog is here, of course. So much for a safe holiday..... :mad: 42

We have fog here too. It gets quite dense out in the Fraser Valley - where I am moving. Will make for a fun commute to work. I hate driving in fog!!!!!! Yikes!