Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sasha Cohen Moves Back to California, Will Train with Former Coach John Nicks

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar

News Sasha Cohen Moves Back to California, Will Train with Former Coach John Nicks

Okay, Here is the USFSA report:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=28314&type=news

Well, I guess it really was not a hoax after all! Guess Sasha couldn't handle another winter in New York!

Hugs to everyone from sunny, warm San Diego.
    Last edited by RealtorGal; 12-22-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Custom Title
    I don't see how this change is going to help Sasha.

She was inconsistent under Nicks, inconsistent under Tarasova, and inconsistent under Robin. She's done exactly two clean FSs since the 2002 Olympics: one in the QR at Worlds 2004, and one at Marshall's last spring. But each time there was a title on the line, she made those inevitable, costly mistakes.

Interesting. I suspected her partnership with Robin wasn't going to last, but I didn't think she'll be moving back to West coast. I wonder how her family feels, having moved all the way to East Coast just two years ago. Overall, I feel she'd have been best served by sticking with Tarasova. I really hope she'll do well...

I don't understand. How will the New York Knicks help her to become a better figure skater?

Isn't that why she moved to New York in the first place?

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    Isn't that why she moved to New York in the first place?
    Someone remind me why she left Nicks in the first place, I can't remember. I wonder why she now feels he can help her. I wish Sasha the best, but I just don't know about her mental condition. Her whole family keeps getting uprooted for her. There must be somethings going on that we don't know about. Once again I am convinced her journal entries really tell her fans nothing.

Custom Title
    Either way I think she will be happier now that she's back in her old environment.
    Last edited by lavender; 12-22-2004 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    Someone remind me why she left Nicks in the first place
    I believe she just felt that she needed someone who could push her harder and giver her better skills. Also, she left specifically to work with Tarasova, and I always thought it was a near perfect fit. When that didn't work, she left for Robin, who I always thought was just a place holder.

Custom Title
    If I had a chance I would go to TT even if it was for a short time so I don't blame Sasha for making that choice. I would go to TT for the programs and Frank/ RA for consistency/jumps/skating skills. Those are the 3 best single coaches in skating imo.

Custom Title
    Sasha left Nicks just after the 2002 Olympic season. If you recall, Tarasova had just coached Yagudin to the OGM and had a reputation as a coach of champions. Sasha was very disappointed that she hadn't won the OGM and TT seemed like the coach to get her there in 2006. They started out together with 2 gold medals and a silver medal at the 2002-2003 GP, and won the GPF Championship over Slutskaya. Sasha again finished 4th at Worlds, but then in the fall of 2003, Sasha beat Kwan for the first time at Campbell's, and went on to win 3 GP gold medals. Shortly after that, Sasha had a bad skate at the Winter Cheesefest and lost her GPF title to Suguri, and the relationship with TT unraveled.

Ice Angel
    When Sasha worked with John Nicks, she was more comfident and the jumps were more right although she always missed toe. But with TT and Robin W. this year, she most time fell on two or three jumps. John Nicks does not have elite skaters now and it's a good decision to go back to him. Plus California is she was born and grew for 17 years. I was a little surprised when Sasha announced leaving John Nicks three years ago. She did well at 2002 Nationals and Olympics, and Nicks treated her very well, saying"I came to rink every day just for Sasha and NNN..." or something like that. Frankly speaking I like the programs Sasha and Nicks created together. They are very original, not like TT's or Nicolai's programs which are always have been made following a format.

Custom Title
    The Zamboni Turns

If Sasha can retain what she has gotten from each coach she will be better for it.

Custom Title

Statement from John Nicks?

Anyone heard any statements from John Nicks?
    Linny

Custom Title
    If Sasha truly believes that the number of times she falls in a competition is directly proportional to the quality of the coach, she's sadly misguided. I hope that's not the subconcious motivator. And yet some fans on several boards have written posts that essentially say "Well, under (insert coach) Sasha fell in this competition, and that competition, and so on". Or "under this coach, she medaled at Worlds for the first time, so this coach is the one!" That's twisted thinking IMHO since Sasha's never been consistent. People have cited ONE qualifiying round performance and ONE cheesefest where she actually executed a clean LP.

A coach can only do so much. A coach can teach technique and influence your conditioning and endurance. But a coach can't teach consistency or get inside your head and mentally do the program for a you. If she believes that somewhere out there a magic formula with a magic coach exists, she's doomed to be looking for a really long time.

Custom Title
    I agree Skate Sandee.

I don't know what Sasha's fate will be but I feel that she truly would benefit from going back to California. She may only benefit emotionally but that seems to be her point anyway. This time around she's not mentioning how coach A will take her to this or that level like she did when she went to TT and then Robin.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast