New figure skating reality TV show | Golden Skate

New figure skating reality TV show

Spirit

On the Ice
FOX will be adding a new reality TV show to its spring schedule, featuring champion figure skater Sasha Cohen.

The new show, Road to the Gold, will feature 12 professional figure skating coaches each trying to coach Cohen to an Olympic gold medal at the 2006 Winter Games in Turin, Italy.

The skating routine Cohen uses at the Olympic Games in February 2006 will need to be devised almost a year in advance. The show will begin immediately after the 2004-05 skating season ends, with taping currently scheduled to begin in early April 2005. Each coach will be vying with the others to create the perfect routine for Cohen to use at the Olympics.

Each week, viewers will call or vote on line to oust one of the 12 coaches. Ms. Cohen has signed a contract with FOX, stipulating that the winner must remain her coach through the end of the 2006 Olympic Games.

"I'm so happy to have this opportunity to have my own reality show," Cohen said in a prepared statement. "The gold medal I win won't just belong to me and my future coach, but to all my fans and everyone who takes part in voting on the show. I also hope this program will inspire many young people to take up skating, and to show everyone how much work it takes to become a skating champion."

FOX did not release any names of possible contestants. The finalized list of coaches will be released in late February, one FOX executive said.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Is this a hoax? I can imagine Fox doing such a series, but I just can't imagine any athlete with a shot (however long it may be) at the OGM agreeing to take part in such a project.
Rave

R.D.

Record Breaker
!!!

Wow. Leave it to Fox, I tell you. They come up with the strangest things, I swear...

Where did you hear about this?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, it might be a bit far-fetched, but with all the strange things that have been happening this season I would not rule ANYTHING out. That said, I'd still like to know where this story came from. Sometimes the news sites (like CNN for example) will post fake stories, but usually this happens around April Fool's Day.

Anyway, Fox is famous (notorious?) for thinking outside the box and coming up with crazy reality shows. I wouldn't put anything past them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
A Hoax

Now I'm raising the red flag on this one, because a Google search for the name of the show gave nothing relevant.

Spirit, did you just make this up and post it to create a din? :laugh:

Last edited:

Spirit

On the Ice
Yes, this is a joke.

Very sorry, but I thought that would be apparent. It's a sad commentary on our world that it was not. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
Yes, this is a joke.

Very sorry, but I thought that would be apparent. It's a sad commentary on our world that it was not. :)

Well, considering that you said Fox, and not NBC or CBS it was almost believable for a moment :laugh:

FOX, the same network that came up with the Man vs. Beast reality show and other crazy stuff :laugh:

It's not like there is enough drama here already. :sheesh:

Last edited:
With only some 200,000 figure skating fans in the US, and not all of them going to give up Desperate Wives to watch this Reality Show, Fox would lose a lot of advertisers. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Uoe

S

SkateFan4Life

:rofl: :rofl: What a hoot! :rofl: :rofl:

You're not serious about this, are you?

IDLERACER

Medalist
Following Sasha Cohen around with a camera all day would be of little curiosity to anyone. If the brief human interest segments that they occasionally do about her during tournaments are any indication, when she's not practicing or working out, she basically shops alot and plays with her cat.

Now if you wanted to follow Nicole Bobek around with a camera, you might just capture something interesting. If it were Oksana Baiul, the show probably wouldn't be all that much different than the Anna Nicole Smith program. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
Following Sasha Cohen around with a camera all day would be of little curiosity to anyone. If the brief human interest segments that they occasionally do about her during tournaments are any indication, when she's not practicing or working out, she basically shops alot and plays with her cat.

Now if you wanted to follow Nicole Bobek around with a camera, you might just capture something interesting. If it were Oksana Baiul, the show probably wouldn't be all that much different than the Anna Nicole Smith program. :biggrin:

:laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I almost believe it, up to the bit about the twelve coaches. I hardly think Sasha would need twelve coaches. Although the way she is changing coaches she could go through twelve.

:laugh:

anya_angie

Final Flight
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! Thank you for the biggest laugh I have had in ages! LOLOLOLOL I was like Please tell me you're joking, and of course you are LOLOLOL I thought immediately that it was a joke but couldn't get over the possibility. OMG what a laugh!!!!!!

Spirit

On the Ice
Hee hee! Thanks, everyone.

IDLERACER said:

:rofl:

Hey, don't knock kitty cats! :p

Jhar55

Medalist
This would have been even better if it was April Fools Day.
I love the reality shows well most of them. No way this is true.
But would be fun to watch :rofl: :rofl:

Jhar55

Medalist
Well, it was a good laugh for someone who is snowed in. Have a 3' snow drift around my car that won't get dug out until tomorrow. At least I am warm and have plenty of food and some good reading. :rofl: :rofl

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Oh, gee, I feel so gullible...I actually took you seriously for a second. :sheesh: