What's your vote on Sasha's move? | Golden Skate

What's your vote on Sasha's move?

S

SkateFan4Life

Oh, brother! Now Sasha Cohen's fans have the unique opportunity to cast their vote/opinion concerning her move to California - look at the link to her official website:

What do you think of Sasha's move back to California?The vote choices are:
Great move! Go, girl! ( :rofl: )
No more snow and ice! ( :rofl: )
She missed California and her friends. ( :rofl: )

My vote:
The girl is another Nicole Bobek - playing musical coaches and not settling down to train seriously. IMHO, Cohen will never win the US, World, or Olympic titles. She would not buckle down and train seriously under John Nicks, so why would anyone expect her to do so now?

Her website's previous "vote" asked the question, "How do you think Sasha should decorate her NYC apartment"? Gee, that's a really, serious, heavy question. :biggrin:

IMHO, this girl has been so engaged with photo shoots, marketing herself as a media star, etc., that she hasn't had the time to train properly. :sheesh:

http://www.sashacohen.com/

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's a poll on her official website... please tell me what you would suggest as a "good" poll for an official site? One that has options to diss it's subject?

Polls on official sites are either informative (ie would you attend such and such a show if skater A were on the cast? -- SOI had a poll like this a few years back)
or they're just for fun... I see nothing wrong with the poll... so what if it's geeky... it's a fan thing...

S

SkateFan4Life

Tonichelle said:
it's a poll on her official website... please tell me what you would suggest as a "good" poll for an official site? One that has options to diss it's subject?

Polls on official sites are either informative (ie would you attend such and such a show if skater A were on the cast? -- SOI had a poll like this a few years back)
or they're just for fun... I see nothing wrong with the poll... so what if it's geeky... it's a fan thing...

True, one would not expect an official website to include the tongue-in-cheek responses that I offered. But, on the other hand, I can tell you that there are a lot of us who are running out of patience with this girl's skating. Nothing personal against Sasha, but her skating is long on potential and short on performance. Two or three falls/errors per long program has been the norm for the past three seasons. She switches coaches because she's not skating well. Gee, doesn't it occur to you that perhaps she is the problem, not her coach? I sincerely hope she will get her act together, ASAP, and skate well at Nationals next month. Frankly, however, I'm not expecting much from her.
And that, dear folks, is my opinion!

mzheng

Record Breaker
I wouldn't call her another Nick Bobak. At least she is not change 2 coaches in one season.

I think it is a good move for her skating.

lavender

Record Breaker
My vote: I think this is a good move for her at least emotionally.

I also think with all this doom and gloom over the net that she will surprise everyone and get her gold medal.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
My vote is that it's up to her to decide what's going to make her happy. If she's happy in California, under the tutilage of John Nicks, then I think the move will be worthwhile. It's up to her. It's her who is going to have to deal with coaching, as well as where she is living.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I wouldn't call her another Nick Bobak. At least she is not change 2 coaches in one season.

I think it is a good move for her skating.

no, she only did that last season :sheesh:

I am not a fan of Sasha, though I am a member of the forum at SashaFans.com :laugh: I was merely sticking up for a fellow webmaster/designer ;)

Two or three falls/errors per long program has been the norm for the past three seasons. She switches coaches because she's not skating well. Gee, doesn't it occur to you that perhaps she is the problem, not her coach? I sincerely hope she will get her act together, ASAP, and skate well at Nationals next month. Frankly, however, I'm not expecting much from her.
Well if you're entitled to opinion then her fans certainly are, as Sasha is also! Sasha says she does what makes her happy. Yet somehow changing coaches is "not healthy" I changed my school, and several teachers this year in college... is that also unhealthy? I'm confused. I never knew changing coaches was considered unhealthy.

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
But Sasha WILL change coaches twice in one season. She'll be with Nicks only until Nationals. So there's one more change to come.

R.D.

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
But Sasha WILL change coaches twice in one season. She'll be with Nicks only until Nationals. So there's one more change to come.

Anyone wish to speculate? :laugh: :rolleye: :sheesh:

Maybe it's not necessary. Maybe she'll just go to all of them :biggrin:

DISCLAIMER: Just kidding, of course, before you jump on me.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
But, on the other hand, I can tell you that there are a lot of us who are running out of patience with this girl's skating.

You DO have the choice of not watching her. Geez.... this is a sport where nothing is guaranteed and a person that you don't even know. I don't get it, you are not personally paying for her coaching are you? Can you only be a fan if she wins titles?

Nothing personal against Sasha, but her skating is long on potential and short on performance. Two or three falls/errors per long program has been the norm for the past three seasons.

She has still managed to be one of the top skaters in the world. It could be that this is as good as she is going to get. If it is she has still had a wonderful career.

She switches coaches because she's not skating well. Gee, doesn't it occur to you that perhaps she is the problem, not her coach? I sincerely hope she will get her act together, ASAP, and skate well at Nationals next month. Frankly, however, I'm not expecting much from her.

Sasha seems to have her act together. She is a very determined young lady with a good work ethic It must be more frustarating for Sasha than it is for her fans.. I'm sure her priorities include meeting your expectations :sheesh: .

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
What is all the fuss about? Figure skaters change coaches all the time. Not many stick with the same coach their entire competitive life. By the time we see skaters as top contenders they have already changed coaches several times through their jr. years. Most skaters find changing coaches helpful to their skating. I am sure Sasha will do fine.

brenlynn

On the Ice
all that matters is that sasha felt it would be a good choice, so in some way, shape, or form i am sure the move is beneficial to her and honestly that is all that matters. whatever makes her happy.

jesslily

Final Flight
Besides the jumping technique, Sasha really needs inspiration which she did not have with Robin W. after 2004 world. I definitely think it's a great move for her.

This is Sasha's decision, and I support her. I support any skater's decisions and if they don't work out, I'll support the next decisions.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
This is Sasha's decision, and I support her. I support any skater's decisions and if they don't work out, I'll support the next decisions.

Joe

Hey. Joe, you don't have to be sounded so political correct all times even you are a moderator here. :p

Linny

Final Flight
What did John Nicks Say?

The Yahoo article had a brief quote from the inestimable Mr. Nicks... but the specifics of their new arrangement are obviously private. Ever consider that it was not Sasha's decision to only work with John Nicks through USA Nationals? That this was the greatest length of time that Mr. Nicks would commit to her?

With all due consideration to the considerable maturity that Sasha has obtained since last she worked with this coach. one has to remember that there is already quite a bit of water under the bridge with these two. While coaches are often circumspect about any troubles they may experience with a student, back in the day, John Nicks was rather wry in his responses to media questions on this subject. That gives us all an vague inkling of the actual events...

So, could it be that Sasha isn't really in the driver's seat on this? That John Nicks agreed to certain conditions and a trial period from now until Nationals in which to see if the conditions could be met?

Lin

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
jesslily said:
Besides the jumping technique, Sasha really needs inspiration which she did not have with Robin W. after 2004 world. I definitely think it's a great move for her.

Did Robin suddenly lose the ability to inspire or did Sasha lose the will to be inspired is the question we REALLY want the answer to :rofl: ?
If the opportunity to be one of the top skaters in the world doesn't inspire a skater maybe they need a break from the sport.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
What is all the fuss about? Figure skaters change coaches all the time. Not many stick with the same coach their entire competitive life. By the time we see skaters as top contenders they have already changed coaches several times through their jr. years. Most skaters find changing coaches helpful to their skating. I am sure Sasha will do fine.

I beg to differ with you, but figure skaters do NOT change coaches all the time.
Some skaters, such as Johnny Weir, Linda Fratianne, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Brian Boitano (to name just a few) trained under the same primary coach for their entire eligible competitive life. Priscilla Hill, Frank Carroll, Kristy Ness, and Linda Leaver did an outstanding job in coaching their students to National, World, and Olympic titles. Certainly, these skaters have also worked with other choreographers, such as Sandra Bezic, and they have sometimes spent the summer training with other coaches. They then returned to their primary coach in the fall and remained with him, her, or them throughout the competitive season.

It seems to me that too many times a skater who doesn't skate as well as he, she, or they expected to puts all of the blame and/or responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the coach. And sometimes, indeed, the coach is at fault, and/or perhaps the chemistry isn't working any longer, so perhaps a change is necessary. Sometimes, however, the skater needs to look inside to see that the issue also lies with them. Can they honestly blame their coach if they continue to fall multiple times during competitive performances? Perhaps a new coach might bring a new perspective, but perhaps not.

What I'm trying to say is that if the skater probably brings his/her/their baggage with them with they go to a new coach. Look what happened to Nicole Bobek - nine coaches in less than 10 years. Obviously, none of the coaches were the right ones, but whose responsibility is that? Can all of the coaches be wrong?
I don't think so.

I understand that many of you don't agree with my view of Sasha's coaching change, and that's perfectly OK with me. Just understand that I'm entitled to an opinion, too. Believe it or not, I do hope she settles in quickly to her home environment and trains well under John Nicks. I would like to see her skate two clean, strong programs at US Nationals next month.

However, if Sasha continues her pattern of falling in the long program, and she doesn't win the title, who is she going to blame?

OK...'nuff said!

Jhar55

Medalist
What ever works for her. If your the boss and your employees don't get the results you want your let them go. And if you don't like the area you live in, you move to where you do if you can.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no one here has said you are not entitled to your opinion... our opinions just aren't meshing with yours. For that we aren't going to apologise. We realize it's YOUR opinion, but that's really all it is... because I find my opinion more valid for ME personally. I don't think my thoughts will change yours. I'm just stating them outloud just as I'm entitled to do. ;)

But! To say that she is blaming the coach is unfair... I have not heard her blame a coach yet. She said she couldn't mesh as well with TT as she thought she could. So she went for a style that worked for a fellow skater, that didn't work either. She didn't say that it was Robin's fault, or TT's but more--I think--that the personalities weren't clicking.

She is going back to Nicks, which makes me suspect that she realizes that things weren't all that bad with him, and that his style is what she is missing in a coach. Yes, she's only promised to stay with him through nationals... maybe she is--like Piel suggested--losing interest in the sport. I understand where she's coming from! It's tough to work hard at something for a long while I HATED playing my instrument, now I wish I had the chance to play it!!!

To just critisize someone because the media has written one side of one story so to make it 'news worthy' is completely unfair. To critisize a skater for a stupid poll on their official site is more than unfair!