What's your vote on Sasha's move? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What's your vote on Sasha's move?

Eeyora

Final Flight
I wonder if the Sasha redesigning her costumes also has something to do with the breakup Wasn't the original designer Robin's friend?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I didn't read anywhere where she blamed anyone else for her performance or the state of her training. She said that Nicks' approach would be better for her. She's the one who's skated with all three coaches, so it's possible that she might actually know.

Cohen has earned a lot of money through her placements at cheezefests and Worlds, and until this year at GP events, and I assume she's getting paid when she models. It seems to me that if she feels like she needs a change, and can afford one, she should do what she thinks she needs to, for whatever reason or reasons make sense to her. If 80-year old John Nicks wants to come out of semi-retirement to coach her, good for him. I don't see why this is such a big deal and has inspired so much invective.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
What 80 year old. Someone here said he was born April 22, 1929 and that is my bd too.

lavender

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
EXACTLY. It never ceases to amaze me how some, knowing that she isn't mentally tough, STILL expect her to win everything because she's talented... :sheesh: JMO, of course. I know a lot of you think differently.

I want to see the day that Cohen skates clean, and the championship goes to someone else, just to prove them wrong... :yes:

Now that would be interesting to see someone else win even if Cohen is clean. I can see it happening but I just wonder what the judges would do. In my book I can see that special thing that Michelle can bring to the ice and skating clean beat a clean Cohen.

Anyway I think people thought Sasha was tough because of she carries herself that way. She's a fiesty girl and she use say some things that people just felt that this girl is tough.. Then she would go out on the ice and totally crumble.

Fossi

Final Flight
I don't think, for sure, that Cohen would win if she skated clean. Even without the falls her edges aren't always secure, and her jumps are down right scary. If another skater is out there skating clean with secure edges and jumps, I think they'd get the nod. I think Cohen has been told over and over again that she's the greatest out there, to skate clean and the win is hers. Maybe she believes her own hype, which is never ever a good things.

Linny

Final Flight
That ugly spin

Robin had successfully convinced Sasha not to use that ugly pull your foot to your face spin at the end of every program... gee, I hope that Nicks doesn't have her bring it back.

I could do without it when Shez does it also... and when the guys try it (Yugadin, for example), it should probably be accompanied by a groan on the sound track.

More than the Biellman, it's a move that says contortionism to me. If the backflip is considered too acrobatic, why isn't this?

Linny

jesslily

Final Flight
If Sasha feels she can benefit more from Mr. Nicks coaching, then her switching should be great. I recently watched her competition programs when Nicks put her on ice. They were all alot better than the programs with TT and R.W. The choreography were original, the jumps were more powerful and technical right, and mostly Sasha was more confident about herself.
John Nicks is in his mid 70. He appeared very heathy. The other day I saw some pictures of Jackie Chan throwing a big birthday party for his 90 years old father. His father looked very healthy and fashonable. So for some people, 80 means walking with cane and needing hearing assistance while others can accomplish a lot more.
Any good competitiors should be believing themselves, and good coaches should let their students believe themselves.
New York City is not a good place for a serious skater to live. Too much distraction. If Sasha plans about every day where she is going to see after skating, I don't she really focus on her training. A rink at small town and life in suburb are the best situation for a skater.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
What 80 year old. Someone here said he was born April 22, 1929 and that is my bd too.

jesslily said:
John Nicks is in his mid 70. He appeared very heathy. The other day I saw some pictures of Jackie Chan throwing a big birthday party for his 90 years old father. His father looked very healthy and fashonable. So for some people, 80 means walking with cane and needing hearing assistance while others can accomplish a lot more.
I thought he was born in 1925, not 1929. (My eyes must be going.) Sorry for the mistake.

I wasn't trying to say that everyone in his/her 80's is immobile; clearly if he's been doing deep sea fishing, Nicks is in good shape. My point was that Nicks is not a young coach begging for students with whom to establish a business or reputation. He's been there, done that. He obviously thinks that coaching Cohen is worth coming out of retirement for, worth less time for fishing, and worth the pressure of coaching an international-level skater with podium potential. And good for him.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
jesslily said:
A rink at small town and life in suburb are the best situation for a skater.

Quick, someone please get this message to the skaters in Moscow and St. Petersburg! :biggrin:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
I beg to differ with you, but figure skaters do NOT change coaches all the time.
Some skaters, such as Johnny Weir, Linda Fratianne, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Brian Boitano (to name just a few) trained under the same primary coach for their entire eligible competitive life. Priscilla Hill, Frank Carroll, Kristy Ness, and Linda Leaver did an outstanding job in coaching their students to National, World, and Olympic titles. Certainly, these skaters have also worked with other choreographers, such as Sandra Bezic, and they have sometimes spent the summer training with other coaches. They then returned to their primary coach in the fall and remained with him, her, or them throughout the competitive season.

It seems to me that too many times a skater who doesn't skate as well as he, she, or they expected to puts all of the blame and/or responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the coach. And sometimes, indeed, the coach is at fault, and/or perhaps the chemistry isn't working any longer, so perhaps a change is necessary. Sometimes, however, the skater needs to look inside to see that the issue also lies with them. Can they honestly blame their coach if they continue to fall multiple times during competitive performances? Perhaps a new coach might bring a new perspective, but perhaps not.

What I'm trying to say is that if the skater probably brings his/her/their baggage with them with they go to a new coach. Look what happened to Nicole Bobek - nine coaches in less than 10 years. Obviously, none of the coaches were the right ones, but whose responsibility is that? Can all of the coaches be wrong?
I don't think so.

I understand that many of you don't agree with my view of Sasha's coaching change, and that's perfectly OK with me. Just understand that I'm entitled to an opinion, too. Believe it or not, I do hope she settles in quickly to her home environment and trains well under John Nicks. I would like to see her skate two clean, strong programs at US Nationals next month.

However, if Sasha continues her pattern of falling in the long program, and she doesn't win the title, who is she going to blame?

OK...'nuff said!

I did not say some skaters don't stay with the same coach!!!!!!! Kurt Browning stuck with the same coach during his eleven years of competitive skating. However, my point is, some skaters do often change coaches - it's their right to do so.

I just don't get what all the fuss is about Sasha changing coaches or moving where she wants to train. Skaters often find it refreshing to train elsewhere at times. In the past they were pretty much stuck to where their coach resides; now they have the option to travel and train with different coaches and other skaters. Our Canadian Ice dance team Dubreuil and Lauzon are presently in France training.

Best of everything to Sasha and I hope she finds the results she is looking for with her new coach.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
East, South, North, West it seems that if the altitude is about the same, there is adequate ice space and time, and the ice surface is maintained why does it matter where the training takes place? Freezing one's a** off in a rink in California and freezing it off in NY would seem to be about the same, IMO, LOL. As long as you have a skater, skates, coach, ice, and music you should be able to train. These athletes have to be able to skate their best all over the world so it seems that those who have fewer problems adjusting to training in different places would have the advantage when competing. Does anyone know if Sasha has the same problems with her COI programs and adjusting to different venues every night as she does with her competition LP's? Does she do a complete LP in practice, if so is it usually error free?

ceg15

On the Ice
My opinion is that it's whatever rocks her boat, if she keeps wanting to change coahces..fine. It's whatever workds for her. I thought Tarsova would be a keeper, they seemed like a good match, but obviously not. I didn't really know about Wagner, guess that didn't work out either. I think she is a truly amazing talented skater with so much passion and fire. I wish her all the best and I think she is a huge threat for the 2006 Olympics in Turin.

euterpe

Medalist
It's amazing that Sasha can skate cleanly at a cheesefest, but not at a major competition.

I, too, believe that it is Sasha's focus on winning that defeats her every time in a major competition. Every element in her FS is a potential end to her chances at a title, so the stress builds as the program moves along.

I also think that if she DID happen to pull off a clean FS at a major competition, she wouldn't necessarily win. Her FSs at Nationals and Worlds 2004 were tense and flat. Subtracting out the mistakes, Sasha's performances paled beside Kwan's and Arakawa's performances. Compared to Kwan, she was tight and unemotional. Compared to Arakawa, she did not command the ice.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
What's interesting to me is the assumption that Sasha is the one making these decisions. I'm not so sure. It's abundantly clear to me that TT is the one the precipitated the dissolution of their association - with Sasha and her mom's agreement. I think TT couldn't escape fast enough. Evidence? TT supposedly was too ill and wanted to spend time at home. The truth? She was angry that Sasha didn't pull out of the December cheesefest due to her illness (flu), TT went to Russian Nationals, stayed at home all of a week before taking on Arakawa, went to Worlds, openly stated that American skaters should have American coaches, and made the suggestion that Sasha go to Robin Wagner.

With Robin, it's not so clear. What is clear is that they were seeking out Audrey W. Why do that if both could see it wasn't going to work? And it seems clear from Robin's statements that she and Sasha never hit their stride and never really sat down to strategize. While it may have been Sasha's idea to leave Robin for Nicks, I don't think Robin shed any tears.

Having said all that, I actually think the move to Nicks is a good thing. Sasha strikes me as the type of person that works better with a male than a female. JMHO. She needs someone with good humor that will put up with her headstrong attitude. Nicks has been very good-natured about that in the past. TT doesn't strike me as someone who would put up with that. And Robin probably wasn't used to a skater that didn't want to work in a partnership from her perspective.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also think that if she DID happen to pull off a clean FS at a major competition, she wouldn't necessarily win. Her FSs at Nationals and Worlds 2004 were tense and flat. Subtracting out the mistakes, Sasha's performances paled beside Kwan's and Arakawa's performances. Compared to Kwan, she was tight and unemotional. Compared to Arakawa, she did not command the ice.

I COMPLETELY agree with this. I just don't think she has that extra fire to give her that edge over one of the other top ladies if both are clean. Even her Marshall's spring performance, to me, was very bland even though she didn't make any (noticeable) mistakes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's amazing that Sasha can skate cleanly at a cheesefest, but not at a major competition.

I, too, believe that it is Sasha's focus on winning that defeats her every time in a major competition. Every element in her FS is a potential end to her chances at a title, so the stress builds as the program moves along.

I think this is the case as well...but I think it'll take more than her skating clean to win titles now. She'll have to find that extra edge (whether it's a fire, an extra jump, whatever) IMO.

P.S. Also...am I not the only one who thought her 2004 worlds sp was not all that? It was simply one of those "great!" performances, rather than a "WOW" performance...IMO.

ceg15

On the Ice
I really think Sasha has the whole package/all the goods especially her determination, spins, field movements. Her jumps are most of the time strong. As said, she just simply nees to bring it to the ice when she needs it. John Nicks might bring back or bring that specail "fire" too.

What's interesting to me is the assumption that Sasha is the one making these decisions. I'm not so sure. It's abundantly clear to me that TT is the one the precipitated the dissolution of their association - with Sasha and her mom's agreement. I think TT couldn't escape fast enough. Evidence? TT supposedly was too ill and wanted to spend time at home. The truth? She was angry that Sasha didn't pull out of the December cheesefest due to her illness (flu), TT went to Russian Nationals, stayed at home all of a week before taking on Arakawa, went to Worlds, openly stated that American skaters should have American coaches, and made the suggestion that Sasha go to Robin Wagner.

This is interesting...I never thought of the fact that she might not be making the decision...she should be making it unless the coach wanted to discontinue working with her..which it looks like in TT's case...

S

SkateFan4Life

Well, with all the hype that's circulating these days, the bottom line question is -"Will Sasha's move to California and resumption of training with John Nicks propel her to her first US title?"

I just hope Sasha can put on her blinders to the media and to everyone's expectations for her (including ours!) and just go out there and skate. She has the talent to be one of the greatest skaters of all time - if she just pulls it together. IMHO, Sasha thinks too much during her long programs. It should be a matter of muscle memory - just go out there and do it.

Good luck, Sasha! đź‘Ť

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I've been thinking about Robin Wagner. She was fortunate that in Sarah, she had a top tier skater that no one really expected to see at the top of the podium. That was of great advantage to Sarah and Robin. In Sasha, it's the opposite: a skater that everyone expected to see at the top of the podium but has never gotten there.