Pet Peeves Revisited....... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pet Peeves Revisited.......

eliza88

On the Ice
I have 2 daughters ages 7 and 10. They tend to behave better in restaurants than at home! We usually come prepared to restaurants with paper/pen to play hangman or connect the dots, or take out our change and work on their counting money skills. Both children have been taken out of restaurants/grocery stores/retail stores NUMEROUS times for unacceptable behavior--perhaps this is why now at their age they tend to be better!

My pet peeves? I don't like whistlers or hummers (not the car!). People who are shopping, walking, whatever, and are just humming or whistling away drive me nuts! I view it as extra noise for no reason!

I don't like perfume either. Or should I say people who wear TOO MUCH perfume! I get a headache instantly over too sweet of a fragrance. I firmly believe that perfume should be discovered and not announced!

eliza88

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Gregor said:
I think most of you are not parents. I'm not either. However, I have siblings and friends who are.
Children go through ages and stages, such as the "terrible twos" I've seen with my friends.
It isn't so easy to be a parent, especially of the infants and toddlers. What do you expect the parents to do? Beat them into submission?
No! And yet, it is not so easy to maintain total control.
Try reading some of the "how to" baby, toddler, pre-school books and see if you can successfully baby-tame. Ha!
Better yet, YOU try to manage the little ones perfectly at these stages.
They ought to have a "rent-a-kid" for you snobby non-parents to see how well you could do.
These little ones are our future. Their parents are trying to do their best to give their kids the best chances. All you have done is b_tch about them, parents and children. Do you have a solution? A word of help?

You (collective meaning all bad-parenting breeders) decided to have them - that doesn't mean that you have to inflict them on the public if they cannot behave there. Your choice, your responsibility. End. Of. Story.

trevtnyc

Spectator
Why

should it be up to us to tell parents how to raise/guide their own children? It was their decision to have them, not mine! :sheesh: Even when we do say something we get the "mind your d*mn business" reply! :laugh: ITA with everyone who talked about not taking children to non-age appropriate places until they know their kids can act correctly in theses places! If they never can, get a babysitter!

As for them being "the future", it doesn't look so good the more I see rotten kids and even more rotten parents not trying to control or supervise them! :mad:

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Princess Leppard,

There is a spoof of UL at Snopes.com, about a boy with only a sack of leaves for his body because he was only born without a head, LOL. Sadly, and you will be shocked, some people actually believe it's true! :rofl: Never mind that you wouldn't have a heart for a circulatory system. If you read it have a box of kleenex nearby because you'll laugh until you cry. :rofl:

I've been in restaurants as a customer and a waitress and have had some very polite kids who were taught manners at young ages. I've know many polite, nice kids who I really love to be around.

On the other end of the scale are the parents who have no control over their kids, can't say "no" to them and think it's crimping Junior's style and creativity by setting guidelines. These kids, when grown, will have a hard time functioning in the job market.

I read in Time magazine about a girl who went wild when a teacher told her "no." The child became so violent the classroom had to be evacuated for safety purposes!

I once worked in an after school latchkey program. One set of parents couldn't handle their kids and dumped them off there every day, even though neither parent worked outside the home. One day the oldest child, a 5th grader, became enraged at me because we were moving into the gym. She screamed, "Don't tell me what to do!" and violently flung a board game at me, which fortunately missed. :cry:

When I was a child, if I misbehaved, which was rare, I was taken out of the public, swatted on the bottom and taught a lesson of humility. I'm glad my parents acted like parents and not a buddy. They knew how to say "no" and set guidelines for me.

Figureskates

On the Ice
How about parents whose kids cannot do wrong?

I was in a toy store about 6 weeks ago to get something for my 12 year old figure skating niece (who is an absolute joy to have around). At the counter was this mother and a 10 year old who had one of those rubber balls at the end of the elastic band (they have sinced been banned). This kid was swinging this thing around. No response from the mother. The store person asked him to not swing it around, because you will hit someone. The mother replied he is just having fun. The kid swings it around hard and catches me in the bridge of the nose...result, a nosebleed from hell. (I have terrible nose bleeds now since I broke my nose in three places in an accident). These nosebleeds are really bad and this one was no exception.

So here I am bleeding profusely, with blood all over my club jacket, and thankfully a nurse who was in line behind me trying to make the bleeding stop. What was the mother's reaction? She started to scream and shreek at me that I was "scaring her child" with all the blood pouring out of my nose. My child could not have done that, that I was "faking" it.

The manager came and tossed her and the child out of the store, unceremoneously I might add, to a round of applause from everyone around the counter.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Well, I have 3 children, 29, 27 and 19 (ok, so they're older now). But I have grandchildren! :laugh:

When the two oldest kids (boys) were younger, they were taken out of stores if they started their whining because we said "no". If they even opened their mouths too wide like they were gonna scream, out they went. We never took them to restaurants unless they were kid-friendly. And to me, if single adults come into a restaurant that you KNOW is kid-friendly, you get what you get.

Matter of fact, on our 30th wedding anniversary 2 weeks ago, the entire family including grandkids went out to eat. One of the grandkids is 2-years-old. She's hilarious. She doesn't act up (until daddy stood up to go get his food) (it was a buffet), and she quiets down when you give her "the look". She isn't loud. She isn't allowed out of her chair at the restaurant. However, at the table next to us was another child about her age who was running all over the restaurant. As a parent, that does drive me insane. Thank goodness that tyke didn't run near me! :rofl:

As far as gum "popping" goes-don't even get me started. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. What pleasure do you derive from cracking/popping your gum so that the people in the next state can hear it?

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Gregor said:
It isn't so easy to be a parent, especially of the infants and toddlers. What do you expect the parents to do? Beat them into submission?
Try reading some of the "how to" baby, toddler, pre-school books and see if you can successfully baby-tame. Ha!
They ought to have a "rent-a-kid" for you snobby non-parents to see how well you could do.
I think you have the definite makings a BNP.

My .02 - Not all people who dare to criticize jerks are "snobby". We simply expect to be able to dine, shop, watch a movie, etc. in peace. Especially if it's a nice establishment, and a late hour when children should be in bed.

We don't need to rent a kid to know it's not easy being a parent (some of us had the sense to realize that beforehand and opted to not have that problem). Nor do we have to do so to realize there are other options than beating them into submission. Simply removing them from the public place in which they're acting like asshats would be a great start. Parents shouldn't inflict the rest of the world with the misbehavings of their crotch dumplings! :mad:

Johar

Medalist
People with dial-up modems who don't get a seperate phone line for the computer,and CAN afford one. Ever try calling a friend and getting a busy signal for five hours and you'll understand. Worse is when there is a family emergency.

Hotmail. As of late all I get is a white screen. Sheesh.

Being unable to register on a messgae board.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
......Back to the toddler issue. My boys are 21 and 25. They were never permitted to "act up" in public, period. If they did, they were swiftly removed from the situation until they could act properly. We ate out a lot at McDonalds when they were little ones, because those type of eating places are kid friendly. Upscale restaurants are not the place to "break in" your child's "public manners". When I have been looking forward all week to a nice dinner with friends, only to have it ruined by a child being tickled to the point of screams, I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the parent.

I think part of the problem is the lifestyle of today. When I was a child growing up on the fifties, everything pretty much closed down at 5:00, except restaurants, and they were never open past 8:00. With just about everything open 24 hours a day, you see parents dragging their little ones to the mall, movies, sporting events, way past their bedtimes. Of course their going to be cranky and irritable.........shame on those thoughtless parents. If you can afford to go shopping at the mall, go to an evening movie, or go to a fancy restaurant, then you can afford a "BABYSITTER". If you can't, then stay home, rent a movie, and order a pizza...........42

mpal2

Final Flight
My sister and brother-in-law haven't been out in ages because of the 3 and 4 year old. The 4 year old is pretty good at sitting still, but the 3 year old is one solid mess of adrenaline. :laugh: Pizza at home is the usual weekend activity. In fact, they have even left my house early because the kids were acting up. I'm the loving aunt and don't mind as much but it still embarrases my sister and brother-in-law. Someday they will be free to roam again. ;)

One of my biggest pet peeves are drivers who won't drive the speed limit. I know I tend to speed and I'm trying to watch that (especially during the holidays), but no cop is going to stop you for driving the posted limit. PUT YOUR FOOT ON THE GAS!!!! :banging:

4dogknight

Final Flight
I'm resurrecting this thread because of the following post by NJSk8Fan.
I'm a new combo VCR/DVD player/recorder, too! What frustration I went thru trying to make the first DVD to video copy, tho! The instruction book is not very clear and what it said to do didn't work....I somehow by accident got the thing copying.
I hope to transfer a lot of VHS tapes to DVD as well.
It also was a lesson to be learned in what type of blank disks to get for the thing--never knew a "-" and a "+" on a box could make such a difference....and I don't know yet what type of disks to get that can be reformatted/erased/re-taped on....the type I have you can only record on one time.
Put me on the list of "still learning"!
Instruction manuals/guides that do not give the user all the necessary information to install or use a product, direct the user to an incorrect page or even worse yet, direct the users to a non existent page is a peeve that sends me right over the edge.
In another life I was a technical writer so perhaps that's why I do not easily tolerate inadequate/sloppily written manuals/guides. If it's worth doing, by dog it's worth doing well!

I agree with the previous posts re. ill mannered children. My husband and I do the carry away thing a lot but when we dine out, we usually request seating in the smoking section even though neither of us smoke.

And one more thing, actually two more things both having to do with grammar.

First: the phrase "I for one” is the same as fingernails on a chalkboard to me. It’s a redundant phrase; the “I” indicates self, a single unit, one. Even if you had a split personality the phrase would not be “I for one”, it would be “We.
Second: the over use of the transitive verb “utilize”.
From the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary:
synonyms USE, EMPLOY, UTILIZE mean to put into service especially to attain an end. USE implies availing oneself of something as a means or instrument to an end <willing to use any means to achieve her ends>. EMPLOY suggests the use of a person or thing that is available but idle, inactive, or disengaged <looking for better ways to employ their skills>. UTILIZE may suggest the discovery of a new, profitable, or practical use for something <an old wooden bucket utilized as a planter>.

4dk

Glacierskater

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
I hate that also! It is so rude. I especially hate when someone is smacking gum.....it reminds me of a creepy Burt Reynolds for some reason! I'm also not a big fan of parents that can't keep their children under control. I've avoided Wal-Mart all X-mas season thus far because I can't stand being being mobbed by a band of shoeless, rat-tailed/mulleted kids with wrestling t-shirts and dirty mouths! It angers (and saddens me) that so many parents will let their kids out of the house looking so ratty....you know the poor things aren't generally getting the sort of care or attention they need.

Stupid people should not breed.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Piel said:
Regarding "Rant Number 44893"...................

While this child acted badly you can not blame the child when adults put them in inappropriate situations. I can't imagine being as anti-child as the author of this rant. For all of the kids that act up there are just as many who are well behaved. The parent sets the tone.

Peil...where might such angels exist? ;)

As I said earlier, stupid people should not breed. :yes:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Gregor said:
I think most of you are not parents. I'm not either. However, I have siblings and friends who are.
Children go through ages and stages, such as the "terrible twos" I've seen with my friends.
These little ones are our future. Their parents are trying to do their best to give their kids the best chances. All you have done is b_tch about them, parents and children. Do you have a solution? A word of help?

Gregor,

We non parents did not choose for the breeders to breed, and we certainly have no repsonsibility to them or for their offspring. Just because someone has chosen to breed, it is not my repsonsibility to share the rearing of their poorly behaved child in public. The solution is for parents of children not to subject the child to situations that are not appropriate for a child...like taking a 2 year old to an upscale adult gathering. I seriously doubt that child will benefit from the cultural eperience at the age.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I like kids. However, ill behaved children should be dealt with and I should not have to deal with the child as a result of lazy parenting. That is what pet porters are for. (That was a joke for those of your that are uber sensitive about said subject.)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IMO ill behaved children are the result of poor parenting. Be angry at the parent not the child. It is not the child's fault. Being unable to have children has been the greatest disappointment of my life. I agree with Hillary about it taking a village to raise a child, and that we have a responsibility to reach out to these children and try to make a difference in their lives. Why not teach a problem child how to skate :) ? Programs for kids are begging for adults who are good role models to volunteer to work with these children.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Piel said:
IMO ill behaved children are the result of poor parenting. Be angry at the parent not the child. It is not the child's fault. Being unable to have children has been the greatest disappointment of my life. I agree with Hillary about it taking a village to raise a child, and that we have a responsibility to reach out to these children and try to make a difference in their lives. Why not teach a problem child how to skate :) ? Programs for kids are begging for adults who are good role models to volunteer to work with these children.

I do teach kids to skate on a volunteer basis, and take care of skate siblings when their siblings are away at big competitions. I cannot have kids either, and did want them. I will take on a problem child and can usually get through to them. But that is on my own terms and I am mentally prepared for it. When someone shows up at a dinner for adults only, I am not prepared for a child, poorly behaved at that, and I don't care to deal with it. I don't bring my dog into a restaurant or over to a friend's house....and that is as close to kids as I can get.

It is bad enough when you cannot have a conversation with a parent because they are being continually interupted by their child. I was raised that you do not interupt. As fas as a village raising a child, my finacee and I help as much as we can with our new born nephew. We plan to help with his college. I can tell you right now, when he is with me he will act right, or we don't go. I think that it is much easier to be the non breeder looking in from the outside, but that is my plight, and I will embrace it.

Glacier, the backseat parent :biggrin: