Where is Tara Lapinski, these days | Golden Skate

Where is Tara Lapinski, these days

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The other day I was thinking about a program Kurt and Tara skated together in Stars on Ice. Then, it got me thinking, where is Tara these days? Is she still connected to Stars on Ice? Never hear anything about her. Thought someone here at Golden Skate might know.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
last I heard/read she was working on her acting career... it seems her injury is keeping her from ever skating again... it's a shame... I wish her all the best :)

http://www.taralipinski.com should have some news of what she's up to

R.D.

Record Breaker
Last time I heard, she was doing all sorts of appearances and shows (non-skating related), and pursuing her "acting career". If it's true that she has an injury that prevents her from skating, that's really sad. Another great Tara site is www.tararulz.com

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
The other day I was thinking about a program Kurt and Tara skated together in Stars on Ice. Then, it got me thinking, where is Tara these days? Is she still connected to Stars on Ice? Never hear anything about her. Thought someone here at Golden Skate might know.

As far as I know, Tara's skating days are over - or at least she's never going to able to skate the multiple-triple programs she skated during the eligible years. Her hip injuries have pretty much derailed her skating career. I saw her skate in a television program earlier this year, and she looked gorgeous. However, her program contained only a few double and single jumps. It was a very simple program for a person who won US, World, and Olympic gold medals less than a decade ago.

It's a shame that her injuries were so serious. The amazing thing, IMHO, is that she skated at Nagano with those injuries and still won the gold medal!

Jhar55

Medalist
Tara who?? Sorry I was never a Tara fan. Saw her on 7th Heaven last year and didn't care for the part she played (hooker) trying to pick up a high school kid.

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I think she will be known as "the best known comet in figue skating".

Joe

Tara has also been known as "a blip on the radar". I like your "comet" analogy, as, indeed, Tara was a flashing "star" of the sport for a short period of time.

Now you see her - now you don't.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I enjoyed seeing her in the 2001 and 2002 editions of S.O.I.

They frequently use her on Hollywood Squares whenever they need some eye-candy. She would probably make a good gameshow host. She's got a pleasant speaking voice, and reads cue-cards well.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm surprised she hasn't been asked to do something with sports broadcasting....figure skating commentary, interviews, etc............42

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Can you see Lipinski doing commentary while Kwan is still skating? It's got to be weird for anyone commenting on their former competitor on television.

IDLERACER

Medalist
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Can you see Lipinski doing commentary while Kwan is still skating? It's got to be weird for anyone commenting on their former competitor on television.
I've seen Roz Sumners comment on Katarina Witt, and Scott Hamilton comment on Brian Orser. It's no big deal.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
I've seen Roz Sumners comment on Katarina Witt, and Scott Hamilton comment on Brian Orser. It's no big deal.
but in both of those cases they are actually known to be friends... I've never heard anything to suggest Tara and MK to be anything but friendly rivals...

as for Tara being asked to do commentary, she did for a few pro competitions a few years ago... she 'interviewed' they were really lame segments in the show, and she didn't do well with Brian Boitano he either wasn't paying attention, or just didn't flat understand her... :yes:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks for all the replies. What a shame her skating career had to end so early!!! I guess she figures if she can't skate the way she used to she may as well "hang up her skates." I fully sympathize with Tara. My sciatica problem prevents me from skating much anymore. It's agonizing to try and do something the body just does not want to do. At the same time, it's frustrating to want to head to the rink and expect to skate the same as always. I can imagine how Tara is feeling. Well, all the best to her in her acting career. I think she should pursue something in the figue skating world. She could teach basic skating. Perhaps, one day she will consider that.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Poor Tara. I really feel sorry for her not being able to really skate (if at all). That's how she found fame, that's how she earned her living, that's probably what she loved doing most of all. It's really very sad that it was all taken away from her at such a young age. As for her acting career, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere at this point. I don't see the same spark in her "acting" as I saw in her skating. It lacks the "it" quality that made her such a great skating star.

Linny

Final Flight
Feeling sorry

Please don't consider me heartless during this holiday season. Tara admited at one point to constant pain, not just pain while skating. Perhaps they've gotten that under control since that point.

What gets me riled a bit is how she also admits to doing many, many triple-triples during time leading up to the Olys, sneaking out to train while not under adult supervision... and says she wouldn't change a thing. That she would do it all over again. The OGM was worth it.

I paraphrase, of course. You'all can look up the direct quotes if you want.

But I hate the message she sends to young skaters and other athletes. Ruin your body, go behind the backs of the adults in charge, do whatever it takes to get to your goal. It's worth it.

Wish she'd maybe modify that advice a little bit... especially because thousands of young athletes won't make it to the Olys but can still sustain permanent physical damage.

Linny

euterpe

Medalist
After turning pro, Tara had talked about defending her OGM at SLC even though she knew that would be an impossibility, given the injury to her hip. Tara never even admitted to incurring the hip injury by overdoing the 3/3s before the Olympics until a TV interviewed aired during the 2003 Nationals broadcast. And she was still saying it was worth it.

She stopped skating because the arthritis in her hip is so bad that even walking at a fast pace is difficult. But she is unwilling to relinquish her fading celebrity, and that's why she is pursuing an acting career, even though she doesn't have anywhere near the talent she'd need to be successful.

She's young enough to go to college and expand her horizons, and I think she'd be a lot happier if she tried that route.

76olympics

On the Ice
I am with Linny...

Tara was never my favorite-but I thought her performance was very good at Nagano. My main feeling about her echoes Linny's--I always hoped that she was not the harbinger of skaters yet to come. She peaked too early and did not have the career longevity that she should have had. Her injuries never had time to heal and I think she pushed her body beyond what it could reasonably do.

I want skaters (and the parents and coaches involved) to look more toward their long-term physical and emotional well-being. I would rather see the medals come later than earlier--so the skater has more time to develop as an athlete, artist and person.

But-I must admit-nothing that I have ever heard Tara say has made me feel that she has any doubts or regrets.

gezando

Final Flight
I miss Tara and her skating. Her Nagano performance was stellar. She has some very nice programs as a pro. I love the patriotic program some excellent footwork choreograph by Browning. Her Dance the Night Away program (same tune as Hernado's Hideaway) was fun and sexy. I think if she wanted to keep on skating she could do well as a pro even without the jumps. Shae Lynn is doing well without jumps and spins.

Well I miss her, but all the best to her

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It is mainly because of Tara, and others who have permanently damaged themselves for over-training and "pushing the envelope" that makes me cringe everytime I hear the phrase "uping the anti" in terms of missing triple-triples from skating programs. Listening to your body and common sense may not get you the big "O" in skating, but maybe you'll still be able to walk normally as you age if you don't............42