Favorite Holiday Tradition | Golden Skate

Favorite Holiday Tradition

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
We don't really have much of tradition other than opening presents, eating, etc. My favorite part is having the family here. And eating! :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
We're Jewish so we don't celebrate Christams; but New Year is a huge deal. Each generation usually spends the night itself with their friends (with the exception of little kids who are sent to the oldest generation available); but then on the 1st we always get together for a big family dinner. This year is the first time my husband and I will be combining it with both sides of the family. So I hope having January 1st celebration at our house becomes the new tradition. Also my girlfriends and I have a tradition that during the New Year party we at one point all get away from the guys, lock ourselves in a room, open a bottle of wine, and exchange gifts.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
One of my favorites is doing the baking on the evening of the 23rd which is...TONIGHT! My grandmother and I used to do this together. This is the fourth Christmas without her so it is always a little sad too. Tonight my Mother will be baking with me which should be interesting since she doesn't really like to cook...she is an excellent taster though, LOL. On the list for tonight is pumpkin streusal pie, pecan pie, Old Dominion pound cake, cheese cake, a white chocolate yule log cake, a flourless bitter chocolate cake, and fried Italian bow tie cookies. I made pie crust earlier today so it will be perfectly chilled by tonight. There is a stack of holiday movies ready to entertain me while I cook....The Bishop's Wife, The Preacher's Wife, A Christmas Story, Elf, and my new favorite, Love Actually.......Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, and Liam Neeson :love: all in one movie it doesn't get much better than that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's a tie between the Candle Light service at 7pm on Christmas Eve, and reading the "Christmas Story" (Luke ch. 2) on Christmas Morning...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
If we have a big family gathering, everyone over 18 years brings a "white elephant" gag gift. (Under 18, you get a legit gift). There is a 5 dollar limit on the white elephant gifts, but the best ones are usually found rummaging through your closet or drawers. Everyone draws a number from a hat, and the one with the highest number picks a gift and opens it. The next person with the next highest number picks a gift, opens it, and then decides if he wants to keep it or switch gifts with someone who has already opened one............it can get pretty funny............42