Japanese Nationals! Anyone with Results? | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals! Anyone with Results?

I believe the Japanese Nationals will be held from Dec.24 to Dec.26. If any of our members are in Japan could you posts the results with comments too, if you actually see the skates. We are all interested in the Ladies and a few like me in the Men: Honda and there are at least two other very good male skaters.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I was looking at the entries to the different events. I noticed that there was only one entry in pairs! I didn't really understand because they have a lot of successful singles skaters and a fairly good program in general it seems like there should be more pairs skaters. Does anybody have an explanation?

floskate

On the Ice
Interesting result so far. Takahiko Kozuka is only 15 or 16 and the son of one of Miki Ando's coaches so I'm told. Honda obviously had some major flaw on a jump or jumps as his PCS are by far the highest. I think he'll easily come out on top in the LP tomorrow.

The worst news for me is Daisuke Takahashi having another meltdown :cry: :cry: I was in Paris for TEB and while his SP was absolutely stunning, his LP was so sad to watch. I hope he can do the reverse here and get himself on the podium at least. Does anyone know how many spots the Japanese men have for Moscow?

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
floskate said:
Interesting result so far. Takahiko Kozuka is only 15 or 16 and the son of one of Miki Ando's coaches so I'm told. QUOTE]

Yes Miki Ando and him seem to be representing the same club.

mpal2

Final Flight
According to FSU posters, Shizuka Arakawa skated and won the short program (or at least was leading when I last checked) but withdrew from the competition because of a blister or injury to a toe. No one knows if the Japanese Federation will look at her prior competitive history and put her on the World team or leave her off.

Kuchana

On the Ice
mpal2 said:
According to FSU posters, Shizuka Arakawa skated and won the short program (or at least was leading when I last checked) but withdrew from the competition because of a blister or injury to a toe. No one knows if the Japanese Federation will look at her prior competitive history and put her on the World team or leave her off.

I would think that they would...wouldn't they?

mpal2

Final Flight
I've been reading a little more since then. I'm hearing that she injured her toe during the GPF and that it might be broken. I don't know how reliable these reports are (after all, it is the internet ;) ) but I do hope that it's not that bad of an injury. This could have a serious impact on her training for Worlds if they put her on the team.

floskate

On the Ice
Quick Final and unofficial results of the ladies LP

1. Miki Ando
2. Mao Asada :love: :rock:
3. Fumie Suguri
4. Aki Sawada
5. Yukari Nakano
6. Akiko Kitamura
7. Yoshie Onda :cry:

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
I did not see Yukina Ota on the placement list. Does anyone know if she competed, or she is still bothered by the injury and withdrew? She is such a talented skater.

Tak

Spectator
Yukina withdrew from Japan Nationals due to slow recovery from injury.

Then Japan Skating Federation announced after the NAtionals that Miki Ando and Shizuka Arakawa will go to the Senior Worlds with the third slot to be determined after 4CC. The real surprise was the competitors for 4CC.

Fumie Suguri, Yoshie Onda and YUKINA OTA!!!
Alternates for 4CC: Aki Sawada?, Yukari Nakano, Mai Asada

Takeshi Honda was also confirmed to attend Sr Worlds, with the second slot to be determined after 4CC.

mpal2

Final Flight
More information on Shizuka's injury. Just blisters 👍 so it should heal quickly.

For those who aren't signed up at FS Universe, I'll give you a quick recap of what the translated article says.

Shizuka was examined by a doctor who said she was not injured badly enough to force her out of competition but Tarasova did not want Shizuka to skate the short program at all due to numbness and not having full feeling for the ice. The Japanese Federation felt that her performances over the Grand Prix did not warrant her bypassing Nationals. She was basically forced to skate the short program and did well enough to place second. That satisfied them enough to put her on the world team with Ando.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20105

Interesting the Japanese Federation will have to decide on both Men's and Ladies to send to Worlds. I get the feeling that Americans will have to do the same thing.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Since she placed 2nd at Nationals, why isn't Mao Asada attending the 4CC? She must be very disappointed at not being automatically named to the World team, wondering why bother attending Nationals in the first place.

Vash01

Medalist
RealtorGal said:
Since she placed 2nd at Nationals, why isn't Mao Asada attending the 4CC? She must be very disappointed at not being automatically named to the World team, wondering why bother attending Nationals in the first place.

Mao Asada is too young to be on the world team. I am sure it is a great experience for her to skate at the senior level and win the silver (reminds me of NNN in the US nationals in 1999- she was just 13!). When she is old enough to qualify for worlds, the judges will already know her- that's the big advantage.

IMO the JSF is using the 4CC to determine the 3rd ladies spot for worlds. So it makes sense for them to name only those who would age qualify for worlds.

I am surprised that Yukina Ota is named for 4CC. I thought she was too injured to skate (she did not skate at JN).

Vash

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, congratulations to Miki, Mao and Fumie!!! Happy to see that Miki winning and Mao succeeding so well. On the other hand after seeing her skating in Helsinki JGP Final that is not surprising at all...

Marjaana