Russian Nationals | Golden Skate

Russian Nationals

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Here is the official schedule

January 5
15:00 - Ice Dance. Two compulsory dances.
17:00 - Opening ceremony.
17:30 - Ladies. Short Program.
20:00 - Men. Short Program.

January 6
17:00 - Ice Dance. Original Dance.
18:15 - Pairs. Short Program.
20:00 - Ladies. Free Skate.

January 7
16:00 - Ice Dance. Free Dance.
17:30 - Paris. Free Skate.
19:30 - Men. Free Skate.

January 8
13:00 - Medal ceremony.
Exhibitions.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Thanks, Ptichka. Do you know how many women Russia is allowed to send to Worlds this year? I think it will be very interesting to see who takes second place to Slutskaya....will it be Volchkova or Sokolova? I love them both, but Viktoria has really made so many impressive strides this year. I hope she goes to Worlds and skates like she did at Cup of China.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Just 2 spots in 2005. The magic # is 13 or below to send in 3 skaters, but since Irina and Yelena palced at 8+, only 2 gals will go. It's a shame since the championships are in Russia for the 1st time in nearly a century!

Yana

PS thanks for the info, Ptichka!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Eurosport Coverage?

I know there was no GP Eurosport coverage. Anyone know what the coverage plans are for Russian (or other) nationals, and eventually Euros?

DG

Vash01

Medalist
STL_Blues_fan said:
Just 2 spots in 2005. The magic # is 13 or below to send in 3 skaters, but since Irina and Yelena palced at 8+, only 2 gals will go. It's a shame since the championships are in Russia for the 1st time in nearly a century!

Yana

PS thanks for the info, Ptichka!

Irina is not taking anything for granted- judging from her recent interview at Marshall's. She knows she has to place 1st or 2nd at the Russian nationals. I prefer Viktoria to Elena Sokolova, but my prediction is that Sokolova will win the second spot on the Russian team. She is a world silver medallist from a couple years ago and the subjective marks will go to her. I wonder what will happen if Viktoria skates clean at RN and Sokolova has only a so-so skate? It will be a tough decision. Whoever goes to worlds this year must place within 13 combined to have 3 spots next year at the Olympics.

Vash

mzheng

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Irina is not taking anything for granted- judging from her recent interview at Marshall's. She knows she has to place 1st or 2nd at the Russian nationals. I prefer Viktoria to Elena Sokolova, but my prediction is that Sokolova will win the second spot on the Russian team. She is a world silver medallist from a couple years ago and the subjective marks will go to her. I wonder what will happen if Viktoria skates clean at RN and Sokolova has only a so-so skate? It will be a tough decision. Whoever goes to worlds this year must place within 13 combined to have 3 spots next year at the Olympics.

Vash

Well, IMO, aside the jump consistancy. VV has every thing over Elena. Elena's stroking still leaves a lot to desire. But, yeah the subjective marks will go Elena. What if VV doing better than Elena in both RN and Euro ? Which would get picked?

btw, I guess never would happen, lol, even actually that happened I'd bet Elena would do better than VV simply based on statistics number. lol.

I really think Pisseev will be looking at Euros as well as Nats to name the team for Worlds. If Vikka and Elena place one after the other and that same placing happens at Nats, then it will be the one on top. If not, Piseev will have to be prepared to use his own judgement.

He's got a very good all round skater (Vikka) and a great jumper (Elena). Not easy.

Joe

Ximena

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I really think Pisseev will be looking at Euros as well as Nats to name the team for Worlds. If Vikka and Elena place one after the other and that same placing happens at Nats, then it will be the one on top. If not, Piseev will have to be prepared to use his own judgement.

He's got a very good all round skater (Vikka) and a great jumper (Elena). Not easy.
Joe

For what I read, the team would be decided at Nats for sure, although Pissiev announced that after GPF (no spoilers), there were already some base of the team.

By the way, I read that the event will be judge under the 6.0 system, however there would be a second set of judges with COP and the desition of who would make the team will be based with both systems.

jesslily

Final Flight
I wish Vika make the world team. This year she made a huge improvement. Over the years you know she has been a good jumper, but at competitions, she mostly messed up. Now, with refined artistry, she can put all together. I just hope she get the silver at Russion National.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
I thought that Europeans were the qualifications for worlds. Has that changed???
Well, Piseev basically changes the rules as he goes along. His usual thing is naming one stop according to the results of Nationals, and the rest after the Europeans.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
I wish Vika make the world team. This year she made a huge improvement. Over the years you know she has been a good jumper, but at competitions, she mostly messed up. Now, with refined artistry, she can put all together. I just hope she get the silver at Russion National.

I have never been able to utter the name "Vika" and word "artistry" in the same sentence. ;)

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I know nobody on this forum has been thinking about this but what if Irina doesn't win!? What if she comes third to those two? Then what will they do? Irina is capable of having a bad day like the rest of them!

wvgal57

On the Ice
I don't think it's a given that Irina will win. She's show that she is skating really well this season but she also gets very nervous at Nationals. She dreads Nationals and IMO if she is going to not skate well it will be here.

It's a given that Irina usually loses her National crown though when she is not skating well throughout the season.

We'll see, I hope she wins with great skating and I wish the others girls luck too. Reports are that everyone is training well, skating great in practices and that it is going to be a tough competition.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If that happens, Piseev will still send her to Worlds along with whoever finishes 1st at Nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina is the GPF champion and has been undefeated so far this season. I agree that no matter how she does at RN, Irina will be on the World team. Piseev is well aware that of all the Russian women, Irina is the only one who can contend for the podium. Vika has never been on the World podium, and Elena was there just once, in 2003. Irina, returning from illness, and with little preparation, finished higher than both Elena and Vika at 2004 Worlds.

mpal2

Final Flight
Irina herself has worried about not winning or even placing in the top 2 at Russian Nationals. Did anyone catch her interview at the end of the GP Final? I think she'll do fine though. I can't see her not going to Worlds this year. Piseev would be crucified by the crowd if she didn't make it. :laugh:

mpal2 said:
Did anyone catch her interview at the end of the GP Final?
Yes. That interview was so cute. There is not a chance in the world that Irina won't make the World's team, but she recognized the value of approching everything one competition at a time.

I really admire how Irina can project her personality in interveiws in English. I think some big U.S. company would have a winner if they snapped her up with a fat endorsement contract. :love:

Mathman

Ximena

Final Flight
Pissiev would send Irina to Worlds and Euros no matter what she does at RN (still I do think she will win). I remember an interview Pissiev did (it was this season but don't know exactly when) when he pretty much said that the ladies russian team was Irina and none else. I read it in a board room and I remember this part very much because a lot of people though it was very rude towards Elena and Vika.

Vash01

Medalist
Ximena said:
Pissiev would send Irina to Worlds and Euros no matter what she does at RN (still I do think she will win). I remember an interview Pissiev did (it was this season but don't know exactly when) when he pretty much said that the ladies russian team was Irina and none else. I read it in a board room and I remember this part very much because a lot of people though it was very rude towards Elena and Vika.

I too think it was rude toward Elena and Vika, who are both top 10 caliber skaters (may be even better, on a given day).

Vash