White boots or Beige boots? | Golden Skate

White boots or Beige boots?

S

SkateFan4Life

This may be incredibly trivial, but I prefer to see women skaters wear beige boots instead of white boots. IMHO, beige boots give the illusion that the boot is an extension of the leg, and they blend better into the overall presentation than glaring, white boots.

Again, this is nitpicking, but when I think of Russian pair skater Maria Petrova, who won the 2000 World title with her partner Alexei Tikahanov, I think of those white boots, not her actual skating.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I prefer beige myself. They look better, to me, at least.

My friend, Kathryn Canimo (she no longer skates) hated my beige boots. She thought they looked like old lady shoes. She wore white boots.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I tend to disagree. I much prefer to see the ladies in white boots. I really like the classic, elegant, and clean look of the white boots.

I do understand the idea of beige boots lengthening the leg line. But it only works well when the beige boot shade closely matches the shade of the skater's tights. And often, it doesn't.

Hikaru

Final Flight
white boots for me. If the skater wants to have them covered, they can use the boot tights, and there you go :laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I like white boots best but hate to see dirty boots and laces. I think that with white boots you notice edging and if the toe is pointed more so than in beige ones and in fact have wondered if skaters with not so great edges and poor extension choose the beige ones in an attempt to hide that. I especially dislike tights over the boots as it looks like the skater is bare foot. I guess that might work for a hula number, LOL.. Also, I have noticed that with the tights over the boots sometimes the ladies keep pulling them to keep them in place which to me would be very distracting. Oksana/Pasha/Oksana Gritchuk's blueberry yogurt colored boots looked terrible with most costumes.

Last edited:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Mathman.... :rofl: :agree:

White boots, definitely.

To me, beige boots mean you are either a professional skater, or a synchro skater. A competitive freestyler wears white boots. Dancers are another breed.....there's no controlling them! :biggrin:

GlisteningTearDrop

Spectator
White boots totally, but depending on the costume either the white boot or over the boot tights. Some costumes just look better with the boot... or with the beige tights. But everytime I think of beige boots I think of Nancy K and then I just have to groan. I think they look hideous... white boots give me nice options. I'm so pro white boots :biggrin:

IDLERACER

Medalist
I suppose a skater will just have to settle for beige boots if she isn't a virgin. :rolleye:

Er um...that's a joke. :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
I go for white boots too. More standard, more elegant.

Now, do you all prefer the regular silver blades, or gold blades (like Irina has worn on occasion)?

:laugh: Idleracer

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
I go for white boots too. More standard, more elegant.

Now, do you all prefer the regular silver blades, or gold blades (like Irina has worn on occasion)?

:laugh: Idleracer

Silver. Call me an old fuddy-duddy. Can you be an old fuddy-duddy at 40? (Chances are most of you under 20 haven't even heard the term "old fuddy duddy" :eek: )

mpal2

Final Flight
Silver blades for white boots. The gold might go better with the right shade of beige though.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Definitely white boots. :love:

I absolutely hate tights pulled over skates. You always see the bumps of the laces and it looks absolutely ridiculous and tacky. :p

guinevere

Final Flight
White Boots!

Thank you MathMan, for showing in so many ways, exactly how white boots are superior to beige ones.

Tights over boots is a monstrosity.

I definitely prefer silver blades, but Irina can wear whatever color blades she wants cuz' she rocks the house!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Definitely white boots. :love:

I absolutely hate tights pulled over skates. You always see the bumps of the laces and it looks absolutely ridiculous and tacky. :p

AND it makes your feet look like lumps at the ends of your legs.