White boots or Beige boots? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

White boots or Beige boots?

sk8er1964

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
Just for the record, when one types the words "Figure Skates" into a Google image search, not a single pair of beige skates emerges. Just lots of black and white ones. I don't even think you can purchase them off the rack that way. They have to be custom ordered.

You can find stock boots (as opposed to custom made) in beige from Klingbeil. (You can get some really unusual colors custom made - I've seen orange suede and purple leather.)

What about black blades? I saw a pair of those by Ultima, and thought they might look cool with black boots.

Oh, ITA totally with those who said the OTB tights make you look like Frankenstein!

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
White boots/Silver blades. Thats the only way to go. I despise the look of tights completely over the skate but I do like tights just hooked onto the ankle but not all the way to the toe. I believe this is a better way to lengthen the leg.

Last edited:

floskate

On the Ice
White boots all the way!!! And No No NO to those ghastly over the boot tihgts - they drive me to despair every time I see them. Thats a trend that really needs to die a death.

I'm also very glad that the trend for men to wear coloured boot covers to match their costumes seems to have gone south too. Much nicer to see a pair of clean black boots at the end of a male skaters legs, although Li of China had boot covers this GP season :sheesh:

Gregor

Rinkside
Extended tights to cover the boots is most appealing. A beautiful long line of leg.
White boots can appear to cut off the legs and make them look squat.
Also, the white boots must be hard to maintain white and could end up looking not clean, even though skater or parent tried to clean them!
I much prefer to see the long-legged tights over the boot.
The tan boot out there is too harsh, not soft like the tights over the boot.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
White boots, silver blades here.

When I see the tights, I don't see extended leg line, I just see the huge, bunchy lumps where the laces are and the square line where the boot ends.

And yes, golden blades = Tonya Harding with her lace broken. And Shizza with one blade of each color.

I hadn't thought of Gritschuk's blue skates for a long time! Thanks for reminding me.

And then there are the hoky covers to look like saddle shoes and various other items of costume trickology...don't start me on those.

Whats wrong with putting a material cover over the boot to match the dress? In the case of a male skater to use white cover over the boot when he wears white trousers?

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Material cover

I don't mind the material covers, either... but the skater should take care to tuck the laces in and adjust the cover as well as possible so that it doesn't look so lumpy.... just like when tucking a shirt tail in. Smooth is best.
Linny

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Whats wrong with putting a material cover over the boot to match the dress?

I just can't stand the look of boot covers. It's very juvenile to me and just doesn't look right-sorry Joe just my opinion. I like white boots, but I wouldn't be against buying a pair of beige ones.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Whats wrong with putting a material cover over the boot to match the dress? In the case of a male skater to use white cover over the boot when he wears white trousers?

Joe
The trousers on a man -- and now Ladies, if they choose -- are almost always loose enough to hide the bulge of the lace hooks and laces, and there's no "top of skate" line showing.

Last edited:

Cmskater

Spectator
I love my white boots. I don't think I need to "extend" my legs with beige boots because I think I'm tall enough for a figure skater.

Tedebear

Spectator
SkateFan4Life said:
This may be incredibly trivial, but I prefer to see women skaters wear beige boots instead of white boots. IMHO, beige boots give the illusion that the boot is an extension of the leg, and they blend better into the overall presentation than glaring, white boots.

Again, this is nitpicking, but when I think of Russian pair skater Maria Petrova, who won the 2000 World title with her partner Alexei Tikahanov, I think of those white boots, not her actual skating.

I like White boots and hate those tan boots. I also hate when the skater covers up their skates with hosery. :unsure: Major yuck!!!

Tedebear - You can't go through life Hating boots. :laugh:

Anyway, I saw Ice Theatre last night, and the entire corps including Ms Healy all wear beige boots. It does give the short skaters a longer line look. I don't mind either color.

The show was ok. David Liu is something special in skating. No one like him. He is a true artist. The Murv skated so well, one would ask, why he doesn't do that in competition? He mugs like crazy, but hey, it's a show and that's where it belongs with a rock number.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Dorothy Hamill has worn beige boots for years, and IMHO, this gives her a longer, leaner look. I just like the look of beige, always have, always will.

Boot coverings are fine, as long as they match the color of the costume and don't hang over the skates. Sarah Hughes wore boot coverings at the 2002 Olympics, and they gave her a long, lean look. đź‘Ť

Johar

Medalist
I like the look of white boots. To me (just my opinion) boot covers don't give the look of an extended leg. If anything, it makes their ankles look huge.

What color are Shizuka Arakawa's skates? They didn't look quite white and they didn't look quite beige.

S

SkateFan4Life

Johar said:
I like the look of white boots. To me (just my opinion) boot covers don't give the look of an extended leg. If anything, it makes their ankles look huge.

What color are Shizuka Arakawa's skates? They didn't look quite white and they didn't look quite beige.

Beige Boots Forever! :rofl:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Dorothy Hamill has worn beige boots for years, and IMHO, this gives her a longer, leaner look. I just like the look of beige, always have, always will.

She only wore them after she turned pro.

Linny

Final Flight
Shiza

Shiza's boots looked rather strange with her snow white dress at the GP Finals.
Linny

S

SkateFan4Life

sk8er1964 said:
She only wore them after she turned pro.

Dorothy Hamill was an amateur skater thirty years ago! Times, costumes, and fashions have changed over the years.

Granted, most eligible skaters still wear white boots, but I see more and more of them wearing beige boots or putting costume-coordinated covers over them.

Beige boots forever! :rock: