Will there be ANY surprises??? | Golden Skate

Will there be ANY surprises???

Matt

On the Ice
I am CONVINCED (and praying to every patron saint I can think of) that there will be a breakout performer at Europeans who isn't one of the major European skaters mentioned on the forum or who always make up the top placings.

So, is there ANYONE we can put our collective heads together and think of that could possibly be a "diamond in the rough", a promising newcomer, or some long-time European dark horse that could have the skate of their career in Torino? Names? Possibilities? People to watch? Is there anyone out there?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Matt said:
I am CONVINCED (and praying to every patron saint I can think of) that there will be a breakout performer at Europeans who isn't one of the major European skaters mentioned on the forum or who always make up the top placings.

So, is there ANYONE we can put our collective heads together and think of that could possibly be a "diamond in the rough", a promising newcomer, or some long-time European dark horse that could have the skate of their career in Torino? Names? Possibilities? People to watch? Is there anyone out there?

Kristofer Berntsson and Lina Johansson of Sweden

thisthingcalledlove said:
Good choices, their names have been bantered around at Dortmunds last year. But I am still wanting Susanna to get the silver. I don't think anyone can beat Irina, but hey, one never know does one.

Joe

Matt

On the Ice
thisthingcalledlove said:

Has Lina Johansson finally joined the senior ranks? It's about time; she did so well on the JGP a couple years ago, I was wondering when she would move up (I'm surprised she didn't when Euros were held in Malmö)

Kristoffer is a possibility, too...he was in good position after the short programme last year before falling apart.

Pöykiö simply on the podium would be fantastic and LONG overdue...she's one of the most overlooked skaters, IMO

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Matt said:
Has Lina Johansson finally joined the senior ranks? It's about time; she did so well on the JGP a couple years ago, I was wondering when she would move up (I'm surprised she didn't when Euros were held in Malmö)

Kristoffer is a possibility, too...he was in good position after the short programme last year before falling apart.

Pöykiö simply on the podium would be fantastic and LONG overdue...she's one of the most overlooked skaters, IMO

I saw both Poykio and Johansson live at Skate Canada. I could definitely see Poykio medalling, she did at Skate Canada (the bronze) but Johansson seemed fairly inconsistent and perhaps unrefined. She didn't do too well either. Somewhere between 8th and 11th I think.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Matt said:

Lina Johansson was too young to compete at Euros in Malmö last year (her birthday falls after July 1), but she is scheduled to compete in her first Euros this season. I believe she's been dealing with illness and/or injury this year, so has not been able to skate up to her abilities in competition so far this season.

Finland's Kiira Korpi (4th in the JGP Final) could surprise in her first Euros, but her more experienced teammate, Susanna Poykio, is more of a medal threat at this point.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Would love to see surprises from Poykio and Griazev. Unfortunately, I think the chances of one are much greater than the other.....

Kasey

Anyone know if the Murve is skating Euros? I saw him the other night in Ice Theatre. He skated absolutely CLEAN and did a fairly difficult show program.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Anyone know if the Murve is skating Euros? I saw him the other night in Ice Theatre. He skated absolutely CLEAN and did a fairly difficult show program.

Joe
Murve is usually in, unless it's announced he is out. Not qualifying for the LP in 2004 wouldn't jeopardize a spot for Georgia into Worlds 2005. Although placement at Worlds 2005 will determine which countries get automatic placements at the Olympics, and which countries' skaters will have to compete for the remaining spots. He's competed with injuries in the past, and this year is critical, if he wants an automatic spot for the Olympics.

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I'm not a big Murve fan. At Skate Canada in the short program he wasn't skating well and for almost 10 seconds he just sort of stood there with his hands on his hips. I believe he missed an entire element in the process. (Which is significant because of the fact it is a short program) I'd rather see someone fall all over the ice and stand up and put on a brave face than what he did. Just a side thought of mine.

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
doubleaxelcm said:
I'm not a big Murve fan. At Skate Canada in the short program he wasn't skating well and for almost 10 seconds he just sort of stood there with his hands on his hips. I believe he missed an entire element in the process. (Which is significant because of the fact it is a short program) I'd rather see someone fall all over the ice and stand up and put on a brave face than what he did. Just a side thought of mine.

This is the exact reason I'm not too thrilled with watching him compete. He's a good performer when it's time for the exhibition, but if his program starts going wrong in competition, he completely gives up (at least, in the several cases I've seen) and does it to an even further extent than Sandhu does.

I really liked his SP and the energy he gave it this year when I saw it at Skate America (and he didn't even skate that well), but he pulled those same "I don't want to be here" antics throughout the LP and it just totally distracts from his skating. But JMO.

BTW- about the Swedes... Berntsson is one of the nicest people you could ever meet, but he was out for a while at the beginning of the year with injuries and it didn't seem like his Nationals performances were too great, but I'd love to see him pull off a repeat of last years Euros SP, and combine that with a stronger effort in the LP ;)

I was REALLY impressed with Johansson much more this season at Skate Canada than I had ever been in the past. She's certainly capable to finish in the top 8, but I don't think she has a chance at medalling or even the top 5 yet. But, I really think this girl is a star of the future.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
How about Andrei Lezin? Does anyone have a video of him from Cup Of Russian? I didn't watch that competition and I would really like to see him skate if ESPN showed him. The guy was 12th at last year's Russian Nationals and now he's the 3rd Russian man. In an interview, he has said that he had landed quad flips in practice.