26,000 dead in Asia from tsunamis | Golden Skate

26,000 dead in Asia from tsunamis

Johar

Medalist
40,000+ dead in Asia from tsunamis

My gosh, how tragic! I've been watching the news on CNN and it's 2 am. Scores more will die from dysentary and other diseases brought on by unsanitary conditions.

I wish I could go there myself and help....

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my news station is only reporting 23000

tsunamis are always a danger here :( we have mega systems here

Vash01

Medalist
It is horrifying beyond words. My heart goes out to those poor people.I wish I could go there to help, but I may have to just make a donation here.

Vash

Johar

Medalist
I'm trying to see where I can send donations.

Did any of you see the actual footage of the wave? I did on CNN, taken by someone on a high up balconey. Very scary, and the screams of horror from the people on the beach is.....disturbing...

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Donations and help

The United Nations expects that this will be the largest relief effort the world has ever seen.

For those interested in getting involved:

The best way to help is to donate cash via a reputable organisation.

Here's a link to the Red Cross's donation page. To donate to help these folks, direct your donation to the "disaster relief fund". You can also give airline miles, and stock, and other things.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html

And a link to UNICEF's donation page. UNICEF provides support for children:

http://www.unicef.org/support/index.html

Other reputable organisations providing relief for this disaster include:

Care International
International Federation of the Red Cross
Medecins Sans Frontieres
Oxfam
Save The Children
Unicef
World Vision

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NBC's today show had some horrible footage of a mother holding her infant child who was dead in her arms and her pain and her screams just ripped through me...

Tsunamis scare me... and we've had them happen in Kenai and Anchorage before so :unsure: 🇳🇴 :frown2: :eek:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This is very disturbing. The pictures in the news have been heartbreaking. A friend of ours who is also our car mechanic, is from Thailand. He always takes a month off to visit relatives. He left three days before disaster struck. We don't know how he is.........42

Figureskates

On the Ice
I was looking at a map of the region and looking at some areas where no reports have been heard, I took the major towns on the coast and using 50% as a mortality number(which may be low), I figure the final death toll will be around 115,000 to 135,000. This is from the wave itself, and not the result of disease.

The numbers are mind numbing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the Today show on NBC reported this morning that it was 55,000 and still climbing... the photos were so disturbing! :( :cry: 🇳🇴 and that is still the number our local news is reporting....

bronxgirl

Medalist
And this doesn't take into account the horrors of cholera and dysentery in these isolated communities that no longer have access to clean safe drinking water. It is quite possible to match the total taken by the tsunamis by those who might be taken by these diseases.

Vash01

Medalist
CNN reported an estimated 60,000 dead, but several may be unaccounted for, so the number is likely to be higher. It will be very hard to contain the spread of diseases if the dead bodies are not found soon. The grief of those who lost families is undescribable. There are stories of people that lost spouses and all children. What is really heart breaking is many of these people are very poor, and their families and tiny homes were all they really had. They have lost absolutely everything. It is very very sad. I just made a donation to the Arizona chapter of the Red Cross. There are also local organizations that are accepting donations of money. I found the addresses in the local newspaper.

Vash

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
That is an excellent idea, Vash. It was reported that the U.S. has already sent $35 million and was critized for not sending more.........darned if we do and darned if we don't send enough..............42

Vash01

Medalist
Show42,

Actually the person that criticized the western nations for not helping enough retracted his statement today, and acknowledged that they have received $100 million in help so far, and more help is likely to come. Just the logistics of it all made it impossible to get the help immediately. Everything is disrupted- communications, transport, food supply and water- just the basic necessities. Now the doctors have arrived, and although there are great difficulties in treating the victims, things will improve. One can only hope.

I hope they have enough vaccines for cholera, hepatitis, etc.

If there is a positive in this, I feel that there is a sense of 'one planet' right now (if we leave out Iraq), with people wanting to help those who are thousands of miles away.

Vash

MOONPIE48

Rinkside
donations

"That is an excellent idea, Vash. It was reported that the U.S. has already sent $35 million and was critized for not sending more.........darned if we do and darned if we don't send enough..............42"

Well when one considers that we are spending 8 million dollars an HOUR to kill and get killed in Iraq, it doesn't seem like we are giving enough to help.
The US makes a lot of money from having business in Asia, and americans save a lot of money by buying less expensive goods made in Asia.
Frankly, it does seem a bit selfish to me.
peace
moonpie

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Roaring Mice...

RoaringMice said:
The United Nations expects that this will be the largest relief effort the world has ever seen.

For those interested in getting involved:

The best way to help is to donate cash via a reputable organisation.

Here's a link to the Red Cross's donation page. To donate to help these folks, direct your donation to the "disaster relief fund". You can also give airline miles, and stock, and other things.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html

And a link to UNICEF's donation page. UNICEF provides support for children:

http://www.unicef.org/support/index.html

Other reputable organisations providing relief for this disaster include:

Care International
International Federation of the Red Cross
Medecins Sans Frontieres
Oxfam
Save The Children
Unicef
World Vision
I was about to post the link to the Red Cross and was happy to see you already did, plus these other links and organization names. I hope everyone gives what they can to support the relief efforts.

DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks Vash, for the clarification..........and Moonpie, I totally agree with your statement.............42