Future Holiday Gift Exchange Idea... | Golden Skate

Future Holiday Gift Exchange Idea...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
This idea will not appeal to everyone by any stretch. Families, friends and work groups develop holiday gift giving traditions, and many of those are very happy traditions!

Personally, I have reached a point where some of the gift exchanges among all of these groups (family, friends, work groups) have seemed a bit silly to me for years. (Kids are the exception, at least for me). We seem to set a budget range, make a small "wish list" of items within that budget (or worse, not make a list), and then exchange rather meaningless items that most of us neither need or want.

I was talking to one of my close friends and also one of my brothers this year about a new idea. It was a bit too late for this year (with one exception - I'll get to that) but in the future, I've decided that my "wish list" will contain only one thing - please make a donation to your favorite charity instead of buying a gift. I'm trying to figure out a way to extend this to holiday cards without offending everyone I know LOL!!

Around the time I had discussed this concept with my brother (a couple weeks ago), my husband and I lost our beloved Greyhound to a tragic accident. I've had a hard time even talking about it here or anywhere. I've lost dogs before to old age related illnesses, but never to an accident which frankly, I could have prevented in hind sight. Fast forward.....Under our family tree for me and hubby on Christmas day was a beautiful card from my brother and his wife. They enclosed a copy of a letter they had sent along with a donation in the names of our Greyhounds to a local Greyhound Adoption organization. That gift brought me to tears, literally. There is no trinket that I need or want that could have brought me more joy than to have that "gift budget" sent to an organization that will use the money to continue saving and placing Greyhounds.

I hope to expand this charitable donation concept in lieu of gifts through more of my friend / family network next year. Experiencing that idea on the recieving end just confirmed for me that it will work for me. Just wanted to share this notion in case other GS pals have also gotten to a sort of "bah humbug" state with gift exchanges, and might be looking for new ideas.

Happy Holidays!!

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
DG that's a lovely idea. A friiend of mine who is spending the holidays out of state where her children and new grandchild lives called last night to exchange Christmas 2004 stories. She was so upset that EVERYONE except her and her hubby gave each other gift cards. These are great if someone is really hard to buy for and lots of folks prefer receiving them instead of something they don't want or like. OTOH I feel it takes a lot of the fun out of Christmas shopping.... the joy of finding just the perfect gift for someone. My friend has decided that instead of participating in what has turned into an exchange of gift cards next year she and hubby will make charitable donations (except for the children). I miss buying for my Grandmother who died a few years ago and now give to Hospice in memory of her each Christmas. It is one gift that I know is appreciated and put to good use.

Petlover

On the Ice
DG, what a wonderful idea!

I am so sorry about your beloved greyhound. I know how much it hurts to lose our doggy family members. Just remember, what a wonderful home you gave your dog for her time with you!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
DG, I am so very sorry about the loss of your beloved dog. My heart really aches for you.

I really do like your idea for your gift exchange.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Piel and Petlover...

Piel, how wonderful that you support the Hospice in memory of your Grandmother!! That is a wonderful thing to do.

ITA on the gift card thing. I suppose it's a catch 22 - pick out something someone may not like (or doesn't fit, or doesn't match, etc.) v. let them pick out their own present. But at some point all of this just feels to me like we might as well stand around a tree, all get out a $20 bill, and pass it to the person next to you. (yes, it's definitely been a "bah humbug" year for me!!) Yes, I'm definitely going to promote the charity thing next year.

Petlover, I can tell by your handle that you must know how hard it is to lose 'em. Thanks so much for your kind words.

My husband and I participate in a program called "Support a Mission Priest" through the Orthodox Christian Mission Center. $600 supports a Priest for a full year in unimaginable places of poverty around the world. I'm thinking next year we will set a goal to support 2 Mission Priests, and encourage "gift givers" to help us with the second one at Christmas time.

DG

diver chick

On the Ice
Last Christmas my aunt bought presents of bags of maize, corn, oats, etc and sheep, goats and cows for people.

Basically the idea is that the actual bag of grain or the animal is purchased in your name but given to a needy third world family. A great idea in my opinion as I am a great believer in educating people to fend for themselves rather than just baling them out whenever they become desperate. So now I am the proud owner of a sheep and various bags of grain, all being put to some good use somewhere and helping some family make a life for themsleves.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Diver Chick

That sounds like an interesting program. Do you know what organization your Aunt worked with?

Thanks for sharing!!

DG