Love of Skating Still Drives Weiss | Golden Skate

Love of Skating Still Drives Weiss

From the opening of the article:

Love of Skating Still Drives Weiss
by Mikel Bowman

Michael Weiss
Photo by Paul Harvath
(12/28/04) - At some point in every athlete's career there comes a time when the training becomes too tough, the schedule too exhausting and the sacrifices too many. A time when it makes sense to say goodbye to the sport that has brought them so much.

And I would add, only a skater can know that time to say goodbye. And for Michael:

For Michael Weiss, that time appears to be a long, long way off.

Bravo!!! It's his decision. Only time will tell whether the decision was good or not.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
And I would add, only a skater can know that time to say goodbye. And for Michael:

For Michael Weiss, that time appears to be a long, long way off.

Bravo!!! It's his decision. Only time will tell whether the decision was good or not.

Joe

Sure, it's his decision, and he still manages to make the podium at US Nationals, after all these years. I think it's great that he still gets a thrill out of competing, and I do wish him the best.

On the other hand, WHEN is he going to manage to skate a clean long program? When is he either going to master the quad lutz or scrap it from his program? When is he going to master the triple axel? He has some serious technical flaws in his skating - poor takeoffs and landings, etc. At the age of 28, I really wonder if/when he's going to find the answers to these issues.

That said, I hope Michael skates two strong, clean programs at Nationals.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
... and WHEN is he going to realize that his wife is at best a mediocre choreographer? :biggrin:

mpal2

Final Flight
I know a lot of people say he keeps his wife as choreographer for a happy home life, but when will she prove her love for him by sending him to a good choreographer? :biggrin: Hasn't he suffered enough? :yes:

ceg15

On the Ice
Good for him.... if he wants to still compete. I wish him luck but really don't think he'll get much farther then he's already gone.

Lipinskifan19

Rinkside
Go Michael!! I hope he has a great nationals and worlds. I hope finally he can skate 2 clean programs in a big competition, like the Olympics.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I've really become more of a Michael fan the past 2 seasons. It isn't really because of his glorious skating, but more for his drive and dedication. He is a grown man with a very adult life with very adult commitments (marriage, children, extended family, etc.), but he goes with his heart and keeps plugging away. He has never skated cleanly in all phases of a competition....I think that is what he is waiting for....and so are we. I'd love to see him have a Wylie moment at either Worlds or the Olympics.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
BronzeisGolden said:
I've really become more of a Michael fan the past 2 seasons. It isn't really because of his glorious skating, but more for his drive and dedication. He is a grown man with a very adult life with very adult commitments (marriage, children, extended family, etc.), but he goes with his heart and keeps plugging away. He has never skated cleanly in all phases of a competition....I think that is what he is waiting for....and so are we. I'd love to see him have a Wylie moment at either Worlds or the Olympics.

What she said! Although I have enjoyed Michael for close to ten years now...not always enjoying his skating, but liking HIM.

Kasey

nicole_l

Final Flight
What she said! Although I have enjoyed Michael for close to ten years now...not always enjoying his skating, but liking HIM.

I agree 100%. Michael Weiss is an awesome guy, although I don't always like his skating.

insecureedge

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
WHEN is he going to realize that his wife is at best a mediocre choreographer?
It seems that I'm the only one who actually liked the choreography we saw in last year's Henry V SP and the patriotic medley LP. While not as good a CoP technician as Weir or artist as Buttle, Weiss' programs did have good transitions. What hindered him was his continuing battles with 2-footed quads, skidding takeoffs on triple axels, and skating which did not seem nearly as inspired as it should have been for a LP ending with the triumphant Battle Hymn of the Republic. I imagine that in the hands of a more confident and consistent skater the shoot-the-duck into the triple lutz, straight-line footwork, and spin combo would have been a quite good finale.

Now this year, I agree that the choreography does not work particularly well, at least for the LP. (Stupid ABC, not showing SPs.) He needs an attack and edgy choreography exemplified IMHO by Fumie Suguri's program to the Rolling Stones' Paint It Black choreographed by Lori Nichol. Whether the failure of the program is due to a mismatch of Weiss' style and the music, missed jumps, or bad choreography is up to interpretation; I say all three. But even the best choreographers have bad years, so I'm not sure if Weiss' wife deserves to be fired just yet. Of course, I think Weiss would be most helped by following Weir: If you are going quadless, you must have consistent triple axels and triple-triple combos.

insecureedge

Last edited:

ceg15

On the Ice
Yeah, he seems like a great guy even though I haven't enjoyed his skating that much. I don't particularly like the choreography of his programs done by his wife, but it's not that bad. I've always sort of had a thing about his specail blades though. Do them make him feel really specail or something? Or did he just want to be different and like the change? He is a very nice skater though.