Cohen and Nicks Plan for Success | Golden Skate

Cohen and Nicks Plan for Success

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's an article from the USFSA website on Sasha Cohen's return to California to train with her former coach, John Nicks.

I got a chuckle out of reading one of Nicks comments -- he had been deep-sea fishing for a period of time and was surprised to learn that Sasha wanted to return to California. :laugh:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=28317

distantvoice

Rinkside
SkateFan4Life said:
Here's an article from the USFSA website on Sasha Cohen's return to California to train with her former coach, John Nicks.

I got a chuckle out of reading one of Nicks comments -- he had been deep-sea fishing for a period of time and was surprised to learn that Sasha wanted to return to California. :laugh:

Rarely does one actually get to see someone make a coaching change and realize immediately that they have made a carrer destroying move. But in this case we see through the looking glass already.
Ms. Cohen , or rather her mother, has taken her Olympic hopes and flushed them down the toilet.
Nicks is a great artistic coach, the kind that will not adopt to the new point system.
Wagner was the best thing to happen to Cohen. I'll bet Sasha will agree to that. However Sasha's mother dictates her life and Gillana wanted her to move.

The USA had a great chance of winning gold with Cohen. That's over. Obviously the happiest person in America is Michelle Kwan.

Good move Cohen. I'm sure we will see you again as a trivia question on Jeopardy.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
distantvoice said:
SkateFan4Life said:

Rarely does one actually get to see someone make a coaching change and realize immediately that they have made a carrer destroying move. But in this case we see through the looking glass already.
Ms. Cohen , or rather her mother, has taken her Olympic hopes and flushed them down the toilet.
Nicks is a great artistic coach, the kind that will not adopt to the new point system.
Wagner was the best thing to happen to Cohen. I'll bet Sasha will agree to that. However Sasha's mother dictates her life and Gillana wanted her to move.

The USA had a great chance of winning gold with Cohen. That's over. Obviously the happiest person in America is Michelle Kwan.

Good move Cohen. I'm sure we will see you again as a trivia question on Jeopardy.

How do you know this? Are you a confidant af Sasha's, her Mother's, or in some way privy to information that no one else has? If not, why in the world would you make such statements? Where are the facts or sources to back them up?

ceg15

On the Ice
I think that post by "distantvoice" was a little too negative and or harsh.I thought it was a great article and Sasha has a bright, wonderful future ahead of her. I doubt that her Mom made the decision entirely by herself. Sasha and her family/mom had probably made the decision together. Sasha does not seem like the type of person to let things go with out a fight or with her opinion put in. It was probably a good decision that she and her mom/family made. She would do whatever would work for her and her skating. Sasha has proved that she has amazing talent and now that she's back with Nicks it will probably shine even more. She's shown everyone what she's capable of, which is a whole lot. This is definitely not a career destorying move. I believe that Sasha has yet reached her peak and will in the next couple of years. Now the USA has an even better chance at winning gold at Worlds and the Olympics because they have Cohen. A strong, passionate, amazing skater and I can't wait to see her show everyone what a comeback she will make at Nationals and Worlds. The best is yet to come of her and the Olympics are just around the corner! :yes: ;)

ceg15

On the Ice
How do you know this? Are you a confidant af Sasha's, her Mother's, or in some way privy to information that no one else has? If not, why in the world would you make such statements? Where are the facts or sources to back them up?
By Piel.

Agreed. How do you know all this?

euterpe

Medalist
When Cohen quit Nicks and went to Tarasova, she said he had taken her as far as he could and it was time for her to move up to a coach who could help her win the OGM she missed out on in 2002. I think if Sasha had stayed with TT, she'd be in a much, much better position to win the OGM in 2006 than she ever would with Nicks. Unfortunately for Sasha, TT grew weary of Sasha's headstrong ways and declined to coach her any longer.

I always thought Robin and Sasha were a mismatch, but no matter how you look at it, going back to Nicks may rob Sasha of all the gains she made under TT. And TT made her toe the line. She had Sasha doing endurance exercises to build up stamina, something she was sorely lacking at Marshall's.

It will be far too easy for Sasha to fall back on her old patterns under Nicks, where she'd be doing her own choreography and often ad libbing her way through her FS.

distantvoice

Rinkside
ceg15 said:
By Piel.

Agreed. How do you know all this?

It doesn't matter how I know, I do.
Ask anyone who knows or knows someone who has been around Sasha. Sasha hasn't seen her own shadow in years. It's been blocked by her mother.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
distantvoice said:
Ask anyone who knows or knows someone who has been around Sasha. Sasha hasn't seen her own shadow in years. It's been blocked by her mother.

So..are you Natasha or Robin? :rofl:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
It will be far too easy for Sasha to fall back on her old patterns under Nicks, where she'd be doing her own choreography and often ad libbing her way through her FS.

I'm sure that John Nicks had plenty of ground rules before accepting her back into his fold.

nuggetr

Rinkside
euterpe said:
When Cohen quit Nicks and went to Tarasova, she said he had taken her as far as he could and it was time for her to move up to a coach who could help her win the OGM she missed out on in 2002. I think if Sasha had stayed with TT, she'd be in a much, much better position to win the OGM in 2006 than she ever would with Nicks. Unfortunately for Sasha, TT grew weary of Sasha's headstrong ways and declined to coach her any longer.

I always thought Robin and Sasha were a mismatch, but no matter how you look at it, going back to Nicks may rob Sasha of all the gains she made under TT. And TT made her toe the line. She had Sasha doing endurance exercises to build up stamina, something she was sorely lacking at Marshall's.

So you say she had no endurance at Marshall's? Could that be from the fact that she had back problems and could not train like she normally does? My gosh, what the you want from her? Anyone would know if she can't train she will not be up to par..and that does mean endurance. And as for her Mom making her go back to California, she is 20, old enough to stay in New York if that was what she wanted to do..People keep thinking and I am sure you will be able to come up with some more lame reasons why she made the move back to Nicks.. :sheesh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
distantvoice said:

if you're going to make statements you should supply sources... let's not start up a rumor mill on this board... there are other boards where that is more applicable. Let's stick the facts, Jack.

When Cohen quit Nicks and went to TT she was expecting the best known coach to bring her to first place. TT almost did that, but TT has rules too, which caused the clash of personalities between mother Cohen or Sasha or both. I am not sure who and it doesn't matter. After signing up with Wagner she was writing, she is finally having fun again. After leaving Wagner she wanted to go home to Nicks. This is what we know, and the rest will be in USA Nationals and hopefully, in Moscow Worlds, and then what to do with Nicks if there is no first place. It's Sasha's way and so be it.

Joe

Kuchana

On the Ice
nuggetr said:
Anyone would know if she can't train she will not be up to par..and that does mean endurance. And as for her Mom making her go back to California, she is 20, old enough to stay in New York if that was what she wanted to do..People keep thinking and I am sure you will be able to come up with some more lame reasons why she made the move back to Nicks.. :sheesh:

It's not only Marshalls mind you but the majority of her inconsistent history. No matter how you sugar coat the facts, they speak for themselves more than anything else. She's not up to par, she has been known not to be up to par and until she is, then there are people who have every right to question her work ethic, being how she hasn't carried it through as she should and yes she should but she doesn't. So let's wait 'til we see how she fares at Nationals and Worlds but I'm waiting with bated breath I may add. If she is able to I'll be one very surprised person.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Congrats to Sasha....

euterpe said:

....for maintaining public popularity!! When they stop talkin' about you (for better OR for worse), that's when you know you're through.

Mean time, all the speculation will certainly be put to rest On The Ice at Nats and Worlds. I'm willing to wait. Should be quite entertaining, which is why I love watching this sport.

DG

nuggetr

Rinkside
Kuchana said:
It's not only Marshalls mind you but the majority of her inconsistent history. No matter how you sugar coat the facts, they speak for themselves more than anything else. She's not up to par, she has been known not to be up to par and until she is, then there are people who have every right to question her work ethic, being how she hasn't carried it through as she should and yes she should but she doesn't. So let's wait 'til we see how she fares at Nationals and Worlds but I'm waiting with bated breath I may add. If she is able to I'll be one very surprised person.
Why does Sasha have to answer to you or anyone else? Do you pay for her skating??Her work ethics (as you put it) have nothing to do with you or me. What she does she will have to answer for, it is her life..

Hi, Nuggetr. I think the right idea is what Doggygirl said. In show business and sports, it doesn't matter if people say good things or bad things about you, just so long as you've got center stage. Sasha has nothing to worry about as long as she is the one that everyone wants to talk about, whether pro or con.

As for who pays for her skating, well, for one, everyone who buys a Citizen's watch does. And everyone who pays $65 to see her skate in COI does. Even the Kwan fans who turn on the TV hoping that Sasha will mess up, do.

Sasha has the same chance as Michelle to win Nationals next month. She has the same chance as Irina and Shizuka to win Worlds, and the same chance as everyone else in Torino. If she wins these championships, that will be a wonderful accomplishment.

If she doesn't, she is still a beautiful and uniquely gifted skater.

Mathman:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Sasha has the same chance as Michelle to win Nationals next month. She has the same chance as Irina and Shizuka to win Worlds, and the same chance as everyone else in Torino. If she wins these championships, that will be a wonderful accomplishment.

If she doesn't, she is still a beautiful and uniquely gifted skater.

Mathman:)

You really think it's a 50/50 shot that she'll win those two events...?