Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Cohen and Nicks Plan for Success

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    If Sasha continues to be a constant medalist on the National, Worlds and Olympics podium, but does not actually win a major championship, would you consider her career to be a success? Or would she have failed to live up to the hype?
    Yes. I certainly would consider her career to be a success. I bet she'll get enough endorsements. And SOI would run quick to sign her up. The problem was with herself, last year she won the silver at worlds, the first world medal. But she looked disapointed at K&C.

Yes. I would also say she has failed to live up to the hype in a way. But had there was no such kind hype, she might win a gold or two already. Since she would not be under the pressure and having higher expectation for herself. And we might not be able to see her beautyful skating. I still think she is one of the most beautyful skater at the worlds in this era.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    If Sasha continues to be a constant medalist on the National, Worlds and Olympics podium, but does not actually win a major championship, would you consider her career to be a success? Or would she have failed to live up to the hype?
    I think thus far Sasha has had a very successful career. I'm hoping it continues to only get better.

Down With It
    Yes. I certainly would consider her career to be a success. I bet she'll get enough endorsements. And SOI would run quick to sign her up. The problem was with herself, last year she won the silver at worlds, the first world medal. But she looked disapointed at K&C.
    Maybe because she was in a position to win the gold medal (she had to beat Arakawa) but froze up and couldn't do it? I imagine she would be happier if she came from behind to place 2nd, but in this case she didn't. She had a chance to WIN, and of course in Cohen's mind (IMO) winning is everything, which is why she was so conservative in the freeskate.

The only time I'll say Cohen even has a bit of a chance to win nats is if she screws up the short. Then she can say she has nothing to lose and go for it in the freeskate. Otherwise she'll just go conservative and Kwan will just the house, as usual...
    Here's to someone coming out and beating them both (like that's ever going to happen, HA)

Custom Title

Hollow

It's not in my nature to truly care about the placements. I like to see the right skaters medal, but gold,silver or bronze, they're all precious medals in my book.

What I want most from Sasha and for Sasha is a performance that is not hollow. Please, Sasha, show us why Brian Jones wished they could all be California Girls!

Linny

Down With It
    You know, I'm actually starting to think expectations for Cohen may actually be on the rise judging by posts here and at other skating forums. People are expecting her to be more relaxed (because of her move, I suppose) and to "finally deliver". She will be hyped up on the broadcast and we'll have a repeat of last year. It will just be a "vicious cycle" until MK decides to retire.

There hasn't been a Nats more predictable than this one, IMO. :sheesh:

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    What I want most from Sasha and for Sasha is a performance that is not hollow. Please, Sasha, show us why Brian Jones wished they could all be California Girls!

Linny
    I think you mean Brian Wilson

Custom Title

Yupper

Where did I get Brian Jones? My mind must be going...
    Linny

Skating enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    Where did I get Brian Jones? My mind must be going...
    Linny
    Brian Wilson.....Davy Jones....Brian Jones....

Both were pop stars who enticed the girls. Is this the line of logic that lead to Brian Jones?

Imagine the monkeys performing California Girls, or the Beach Boys doing the Monkeys' Theme

I think too that Sasha's career so far has been a huge success, she is one of the most beautiful skaters in the world in the moment.

She had a chance to WIN, and of course in Cohen's mind (IMO) winning is everything, which is why she was so conservative in the freeskate.
    -Originally posted by Red Dog.

Maybe winning is everything in her mind but her thinking that winning is everything, is better then her thinking that losing is everything. And I think that thinking winning is everything can be good. I mean who doesn't like to win?
    Last edited by ceg15; 12-30-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Down With It
    Maybe winning is everything in her mind but her thinking that winning is everything, is better then her thinking that losing is everything. And I think that thinking winning is everything can be good. I mean who doesn't like to win?
    No, no, what I'm trying to say is that this mindset is what gets her down every time (IMO), and also why she might see anything else as a failure. IMO she'd benefit from finding a different approach to her competitions.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    No, no, what I'm trying to say is that this mindset is what gets her down every time (IMO), and also why she might see anything else as a failure. IMO she'd benefit from finding a different approach to her competitions.

What approach would that be? I'm pretty sure Michelle would have retired by now if she had won a gold instead of a silver her first Olympics. They are all skating for the gold and I'm sure that is why they get nervous. (IMHO)

-Originally posted by Red Dog.

I see where you're coming from now. I agree that maybe it would benefit her to approach her competitions ina differnt way if that will help her focus more on her program, her jumps, spins and everything she knows she has to do. Maybe this is what Nicks will work on with her. It will be so interesting to see at Nationals and Worlds-she just might pull off one or two clean programs!

What approach would that be? I'm pretty sure Michelle would have retired by now if she had won a gold instead of a silver her first Olympics. They are all skating for the gold and I'm sure that is why they get nervous. (IMHO)
    -Originally posted by Peggy.

Maybe the approach would be focusing more on doing her personal best, and achieving her personal goals and staying concentrated on the task at hand.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ceg15

Maybe the approach would be focusing more on doing her personal best, and achieving her personal goals and staying concentrated on the task at hand.

I agree with you & I hope Mr. Nicks encourages that.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy

This quote by ceg15 basically summarizes what I mean:

"Maybe the approach would be focusing more on doing her personal best, and achieving her personal goals and staying concentrated on the task at hand."

In addition to that, she can't control how the other skaters do or who wins, so I would think she should focus on "skating her best" now, worry about winning later. JMO, of course.

Rinkside

Cohen........

Sasha wants results and she feels that different coaches may be able to help her but she eventually has to be able to take the ice and perform. She needs to stop skating for the Holy Grail and skate because thats what she loves to do

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast