Cohen and Nicks Plan for Success | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Cohen and Nicks Plan for Success

jesslily

Final Flight
There are not a lot of flexible kids in gymnastics than in figure skating. My daughter has done gymnastics in a few local gyms. There are about over 60 kids in teams at any gym. I don't remember many of them could even do a nice split.

R.D.

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
It was said she was originally trainned for gymnastics, her parents (mostly her mom) had or encourage her switch to figure skating, because 1) She was sometimes lost focus on the beam, her mom thought it was very dangerous had her fall off the beam, so looking for other sports she can play in. 2) The figure skating seems fit the bill, her exceptional gift on flexability can be well displayed on ice unlike in gymnastics where a lot of gifted kids have the comparable flexability. Besides at the time it looked much easier to make fame in Figure Sakting then in Gymnastics.

Where does this story come from? I seem to hear it all the time.

jesslily said:
There are not a lot of flexible kids in gymnastics than in figure skating. My daughter has done gymnastics in a few local gyms. There are about over 60 kids in teams at any gym. I don't remember many of them could even do a nice split.
There are lots of flexible kids in ballet school. When they go on to compete for a chance at a pro job, they are totally flexible and splits are just the easiest thing to do. It is used as a step and not for gawking. When I say totally flexible that's exactly what I mean. It's more than arabesques, and their flexibility is absolutely required for a half hour ballet - not just two tricks in 3 minutes.

Joe

RED DOG said:
Where does this story come from? I seem to hear it all the time.
There are lots of brief biographies of Sasha on her fan sites. Also, she wrote an autobiogrphy (Sasha Cohen: Fire on Ice, with Kathy Goebeken, for children). They all mention that Sasha started taking gymnastics at five (achieving a "level five" ranking), switched to figure skating at 7 with group lessons, and started skating seriously at 10. That much seems fact.

http://www.geocities.com/sasha_prima_ballerina/biography.html

Some of these biographies give as the reason for the switch that Sasha's mom was afraid of injury in gymnastics.

http://members.tripod.com/sasha_cohen/bio.html

Tara's story is similar. She started in roller skating, becoming, IIRC, world champion in her age group. Then she switched to figure skating because that sport offered the rewards of greater public exposure. (Some people say that that's why she could never do a proper Lutz -- she retained her jump take-off habits from roller skating, where the mechanics are different because the skate is so heavy.)

Seems true -- at least I have no reason to doubt these accounts.

Mathman

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Flexibility is even more important in ballet than in skating and gymnastics. Without it, basically you can not dance at all. I do not mean that the split is the only criteria to measure the flexibility. My daughter's two friends, one does ballet for 12 years, and the other has practiced gymnastics over 8 years, neither of them can do a reasonable split, I mean at least two legs straight on the floor. The gymnast can do back hand spring, but can not do back walkover.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
There are lots of brief biographies of Sasha on her fan sites. Also, she wrote an autobiogrphy (Sasha Cohen: Fire on Ice, with Kathy Goebeken, for children). They all mention that Sasha started taking gymnastics at five (achieving a "level five" ranking), switched to figure skating at 7 with group lessons, and started skating seriously at 10. That much seems fact.

http://www.geocities.com/sasha_prima_ballerina/biography.html

Some of these biographies give as the reason for the switch that Sasha's mom was afraid of injury in gymnastics.

http://members.tripod.com/sasha_cohen/bio.html

Tara's story is similar. She started in roller skating, becoming, IIRC, world champion in her age group. Then she switched to figure skating because that sport offered the rewards of greater public exposure. (Some people say that that's why she could never do a proper Lutz -- she retained her jump take-off habits from roller skating, where the mechanics are different because the skate is so heavy.)

Seems true -- at least I have no reason to doubt these accounts.

Mathman

OK, thanks. Looks like the truth is that she switched to skating from gymnastics at age 7, but something tells me that the rest is just speculation.

Fossi

Final Flight
Red Dog, Being the HUGE Cohen fan that you obviously are, I'm surprised you didnt' know already about her history in gymnastics.
I don't think the poster speculated anything. It's fairly obvious that Sasha loves the spotlight and wants to be famous.

jesslily

Final Flight
What's wrong tobe famous, or want to be famous? If you can make some contribution in a particular field and become famous, I think you deserve it. Sasha is very talented and work hard for the past few years, so she is famous. Which competitive skater just want to land jumps and does not care how fairly he/she should be placed?

mzheng

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
What's wrong tobe famous, or want to be famous? If you can make some contribution in a particular field and become famous, I think you deserve it. Sasha is very talented and work hard for the past few years, so she is famous. Which competitive skater just want to land jumps and does not care how fairly he/she should be placed?

No body said she or her parents was wrong. Had I had a daughter like her in the same situation, I would've steer my daughter the same way as her parents too. LOL. We are just talk the talk.

And the fact shown that her mom's steering is right on. To someone talked about in her daughter's gymnastics class hardly anyone had the flexibility like Sasha. Well, now, you have to look at big picture, the world stage. Had Sasha stayed in gymnastics, do you really think she could've pull off AllAround Silver medal at Worlds? or 4th place AllAround in Olympics? I honestly doubt.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
Red Dog, Being the HUGE Cohen fan that you obviously are, I'm surprised you didnt' know already about her history in gymnastics.
I don't think the poster speculated anything. It's fairly obvious that Sasha loves the spotlight and wants to be famous.

Actually, I think it's obvious that I'm NOT a Cohen fan, since I don't know much about her. :confused: I mean, JEEZ! :sheesh:

:rolleye: X 10 million

ETA: my 800th post...dedicated, of course, to saying for the 8 billionth time that I don't like cohen...i hope she doesn't win...

EVERYONE, S'IL VOUS PLAIT!!!

Just think in 9 more days we will be seeing some beautiful exhibitions as a result of the 2005 USA National Championship featuring among many beautiful skaters, our very own DIVAS: La Diva Kwan and La Diva Cohen.

There really is no point in carrying on the who will win and nitpicks. Just remember the winner will be the one who had the best skate that evening.

Joe

Peggy

On the Ice
Fossi said:
It's fairly obvious that Sasha loves the spotlight and wants to be famous.

Haven't you noticed, Sasha IS famous and definately in the spotlight. She is the World Silver Medalist and I don't think that will be her last medal. I don't know her personally but my guess is she has goals for herself, just as all the elite skaters, and works very hard to reach them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Heh, sounds good to me :laugh:

Just kick back and enjoy the show (competition) without all this carry-on...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
There really is no point in carrying on the who will win and nitpicks. Just remember the winner will be the one who had the best skate that evening.

Joe

But who the judges award the title to could be someone else :biggrin: !

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Actually, I think it's obvious that I'm NOT a Cohen fan, since I don't know much about her. :confused: I mean, JEEZ! :sheesh:

Red Dog, how is your project of making Cohen screen caps of the Marshall competition

jesslily

Final Flight
If Sasha stayed in gymnastics, she could be all around silver or maybe even gold. First, her mother was a gymnast and she knows everything needed for the sport. This is a tremendous assets to Sasha. Second, except Carly Patterson, most previous medalists have quite some artistry. Sasha is a lady who has great jumping power(watch her 2000 and 2002 programs) and extraordinary artistry. She could be a very good gymnast. Third, Sasha is an American and she can get the best technique training and choreography. Representing USA provide athletes
a lot more confidence.
I truely believe that Sasha switched to skating because she loves it and also felt that gymastics is kind of dangerous when you move up to higher level.

R.D.

Record Breaker
gezando said:
Red Dog, how is your project of making Cohen screen caps of the Marshall competition

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8057

I don't know whether to :laugh: or :rolleye: ...I won't say anything more on this matter, as it is, I just want to enjoy the competition and the forums without saying, Go Skater X! In fact, I believe cheering for a skater just detracts from the overall experience of just kicking back and relaxing, enjoying the competition, and congratulating whoever wins. If it happens to be Kwan, great. If it happens to be Cohen, good for her. If it happens to anyone else, well...rock on :rock:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
The cool thing about not being a fan of anybody (some here refer to that as being a "non-fan") is that you don't get the stress/anxiety/sweaty palms/whatever you would like to call it. You can just relax...now try telling that to a diehard Cohen fan or Kwan fan :laugh:

Red Dog said:
The cool thing about not being a fan of anybody (some here refer to that as being a "non-fan") is that you don't get the stress/anxiety/sweaty palms/whatever you would like to call it. You can just relax...now try telling that to a diehard Cohen fan or Kwan fan :laugh:
There is also the Antixxxx (name the skater) and there is the Anyone but xxxxxx. (name the skater). When you've read as much of these threads as I have you just mellow out.

Joe