1988 Olympic Flashback?? | Golden Skate

1988 Olympic Flashback??

Dante The Beagle

Rinkside
Hi!

I have never seen the 1988 Olympics and can't find a tape of it anywhere. How did the ladies skate. I know that Katarina Witt won and Elizabeth Manley came in second, but I've heard that Liz skated great. How did they all skate?

From,
Dante....the beagle :rofl:

S

SkateFan4Life

Dante The Beagle said:
Hi!

I have never seen the 1988 Olympics and can't find a tape of it anywhere. How did the ladies skate. I know that Katarina Witt won and Elizabeth Manley came in second, but I've heard that Liz skated great. How did they all skate?

From,
Dante....the beagle :rofl:

Oh, boy, you're really asking for it! :biggrin: I'll write another of my long-winded flashbacks.....coming soon.

SkateFan4Life :)

icenut84

Final Flight
I think Katarina Witt won the short and was 2nd in the free. Her short was a showgirl-type routine, with a blue costume with feathers for a skirt. Her free was to Carmen (the routine most people associate Carmen with the most), and she skated quite well, only doubled one jump that she'd planned as a triple (the loop), but landed 4 other triples (two toes, two salchows). Liz Manley was 3rd in the short (behind Witt and Debi Thomas) with a good clean programme. In the free, she kicked ***!! She gave the performance of her life, including one of the best 3lutzes I've ever seen, and won the free to take silver overall. Debi Thomas was 2nd in the short (great performance, and wore a unitard - I think this aswell as Witt's costume led to the costume rules being revised). She skated to Carmen in the free too, but made several mistakes and dropped to bronze overall (I think her and Witt had been joint favourites). In her free, she attempted a 3-3, but made a mistake on the landing (2foot and turnout IIRC), and from then on it seemed like the life had gone out of her performance, and she made a few more mistakes.
Midori Ito was fantastic in the free too, and many felt she was undermarked. I can't remember exactly what she landed, but I think she landed a 3-3, and she really skated all out with amazing jumps and spins.

It's definitely a competition worth seeing - try looking in the Tape Trading section of this site, and see if anyone can copy it for you. Make sure you tell them where you live (ie. what country) as some countries use different types of video (PAL or NTSC, eg.) and also for shipping reasons.