Speculations regarding the Ladies' event | Golden Skate

Speculations regarding the Ladies' event

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Golden Skate posters, I'd like to throw out a hypothetical situation, and make speculations as to the outcome if the events were to happen as stated.

Leading up to this Nationals has been a great deal of media and internet chatter regarding the activities of the top two Ladies, Sasha and Michelle. Now is the time, before the skating, to speculate and have fun with it! So here is the hypothetical situation.....

At Nationals, both Sasha and Michelle arrive healthy with the final two weeks of training before arriving going extremely well. Both skaters are doing run throughs of their SP and LP with no errors for two weeks before arriving.
In practices, Michelle skates reasonably well, but not full out, and shows she is in complete control, saving it for the competitions. Sasha has terrific practices, going through everything 100%, and is the best practice skater by far out there.
Both Michelle and Sasha skate great Short Progams and end up in the top two spots going into the Long Program. The draw for the Long Program has Michelle skating 5th and Sasha 6th in the final group of six.

Michelle skates first to "Bolero", and completes her program as planned with her magnificent energy rendering a standing ovation and thunderous applause. The marks are all 5.8's and 5.9's for both technical and artistic marks, with a couple of 6.0's thrown in to recognize her excellence.

Sasha knows what has just happened and knows the marks, and the crowd is going crazy with anticipation. She calmly waits for her time to begin, blocks out all the noise and pressure and skates perfectly with true emotion, completing her program as planned error-free. The crowd, knowing her history of mistakes, goes crazy and gives her a 5 minute standing ovation in recognition of her excellence and her finally skating the way we all hope she will.

The marks come up as all 5.8's and 5.9's with a couple of 6.0's thrown in to recognize her achievement, and the ordinal system has Michelle winning by the vote of one judge in a tie-breaker, and Sasha earning the Silver Medal.

Speculate! What happens next for both Sasha and Michelle?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Michelle goes on to win Worlds scoring the highest COP scores ever given, followed by Sasha who scores 1 point higher than Irina. "Wuz Robbed" discussions on all of the FS message boards reach an all time frenzy (also fired by Belbina and Agosto's winning the World title over N&K :biggrin: ). This continues with these three all through 2005-06 where Michelle wins another US title again barely beating out Cohen who continues to skate perfect programs but cannot top Kwan. At the 2006 Olympics Irina barely wins the short program followed by Cohen then Kwan. Kwan has the skate of a lifetime in the long winning the OGM...AND returns to defend her World title. Michelle and Mike Weiss take over for Peggy and Dick in the broadcast booth, while Sasha is hired by SOI as their headliner. Irina becomes head of the ISU technical committee. Figure skating becomes the most watched sport with the Skating Channel becoming a reality in the Fall of 2006 in time for the GP series which will be shown LIVE. The COP judging system is changed to make all judges accountable for their scores. Skating is finally given it's due as a true sport.

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
ChiSk8Fan said:
Golden Skate posters, I'd like to throw out a hypothetical situation, and make speculations as to the outcome if the events were to happen as stated.

Leading up to this Nationals has been a great deal of media and internet chatter regarding the activities of the top two Ladies, Sasha and Michelle. Now is the time, before the skating, to speculate and have fun with it! So here is the hypothetical situation.....

At Nationals, both Sasha and Michelle arrive healthy with the final two weeks of training before arriving going extremely well. Both skaters are doing run throughs of their SP and LP with no errors for two weeks before arriving.
In practices, Michelle skates reasonably well, but not full out, and shows she is in complete control, saving it for the competitions. Sasha has terrific practices, going through everything 100%, and is the best practice skater by far out there.
Both Michelle and Sasha skate great Short Progams and end up in the top two spots going into the Long Program. The draw for the Long Program has Michelle skating 5th and Sasha 6th in the final group of six.

Michelle skates first to "Bolero", and completes her program as planned with her magnificent energy rendering a standing ovation and thunderous applause. The marks are all 5.8's and 5.9's for both technical and artistic marks, with a couple of 6.0's thrown in to recognize her excellence.

Sasha knows what has just happened and knows the marks, and the crowd is going crazy with anticipation. She calmly waits for her time to begin, blocks out all the noise and pressure and skates perfectly with true emotion, completing her program as planned error-free. The crowd, knowing her history of mistakes, goes crazy and gives her a 5 minute standing ovation in recognition of her excellence and her finally skating the way we all hope she will.

The marks come up as all 5.8's and 5.9's with a couple of 6.0's thrown in to recognize her achievement, and the ordinal system has Michelle winning by the vote of one judge in a tie-breaker, and Sasha earning the Silver Medal.

Uhh what about CoP ... You were talking about the old system

R.D.

Record Breaker
doubleaxelcm said:
Uhh what about CoP ... You were talking about the old system

But Nationals will be judged under the 6.0 system...

Michelle goes on to win Worlds scoring the highest COP scores ever given, followed by Sasha who scores 1 point higher than Irina. "Wuz Robbed" discussions on all of the FS message boards reach an all time frenzy (also fired by Belbina and Agosto's winning the World title over N&K ). This continues with these three all through 2005-06 where Michelle wins another US title again barely beating out Cohen who continues to skate perfect programs but cannot top Kwan. At the 2006 Olympics Irina barely wins the short program followed by Cohen then Kwan. Kwan has the skate of a lifetime in the long winning the OGM...AND returns to defend her World title. Michelle and Mike Weiss take over for Peggy and Dick in the broadcast booth, while Sasha is hired by SOI as their headliner. Irina becomes head of the ISU technical committee. Figure skating becomes the most watched sport with the Skating Channel becoming a reality in the Fall of 2006 in time for the GP series which will be shown LIVE. The COP judging system is changed to make all judges accountable for their scores. Skating is finally given it's due as a true sport.

ha. I think the moon will turn purple before THAT happens. One thing I can see though is "Cohen skates a perfect program but cannot top Kwan". I think that no matter what she does Kwan will win.

lavender

Record Breaker
Why do you guys feel that Sasha would skate clean and still not win? I'm sure the judges would love to give it to her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
lavender said:
Why do you guys feel that Sasha would skate clean and still not win? I'm sure the judges would love to give it to her.

To me, Cohen just lacks that "spark" that Kwan tends to have when she (MK) has a great performance, even when she's "clean". JMO though...knowing how events are judged unfairly, they may very well give it to her (Cohen) in a close one. :sheesh:

If Cohen is to win, let her actually DESERVE it...

CanadianSkater

Rinkside
Cohen vs. Kwan

I feel that there is a very good chance the Cohen can top Kwan ( if she can avoid late mistakes in her program ). Kwan had never pushed the envelope and as much as I love her as a skater she will need to up the ante for worlds. Cohen is a beautiful skater as well but she is unpredictable and I'm not sure had found her comfort zone let.

Fossi

Final Flight
Cohen is given high marks with major mistakes. A fall and a 6.0 with the "top gun" yet to skate at last years Nationals? I think that sends a strong message to Sasha and Michelle Kwan.
I don't know if a clean Sasha program could top a clean Kwan program. It has YET to happen. There has been talk of Sasha topping Kwan since '00, yet Sasha has yet to live up to this.
Also, let's not forget that the US judges LOVE Cohen. She was always given the nod over Hughes at US Nationals, however internationally the judges rewarded Hughes over Sasha in GP events.

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Has there ever been an event where Sasha and Michelle both had completely clean programs? If so, who ended up winning?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
JMO, but Sasha with a mistake was still better than a perect Sarah. Hughes had a great layback but other than that her skating did not have the polish of Cohen and Kwan or even Slutskaya.

lavender

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
To me, Cohen just lacks that "spark" that Kwan tends to have when she (MK) has a great performance, even when she's "clean". JMO though...knowing how events are judged unfairly, they may very well give it to her (Cohen) in a close one. :sheesh:

If Cohen is to win, let her actually DESERVE it...

I just wanted to know and I agree. Sasha has the spins and flexible wow moments but it still doesn't beat and Michelle with that special spark/fire. That is the one thing that I tell people that Michelle has over people. When Michelle is in a zone she can make ya cry. I know for one that had Sasha been clean at Nationals '05 Michelle still would have won and rightfully so. Sasha was good but she was flat throughout the whole program.

I agree that normally a Sasha with a couple of mistakes is still better than Sarah.

doubleaxelcm said:
Has there ever been an event where Sasha and Michelle both had completely clean programs? If so, who ended up winning?
No. Sasha's only completely clean long program was the qualifying round in 2004 worlds. Michelle was in the other qualifying group, and she messed up big time, finishing third behind Arakawa and Ando.

MM

ChiSk8Fan said:

After their glorious triumph at Nationals, Michelle and Sasha hold a joint press conference to announce their retirement. Michelle says,

“Now that I have tied Maribel Vinson Owens’ record of nine U.S. championships and Carol Heiss Jenkins’ record of five world championships by a U.S. woman, I feel that for me to keep on winning more and more and more titles would be disrespectful to these great competitors and to the history of our beloved sport.”

Sasha says, “I thank all my millions of fans for their support over the course of my career, and now I believe it is time for me to move on and stop hogging up all the medals away from the younger generation of skaters, who deserve their chance to try to win something, too.”

At Worlds, the U.S. team of Alissa Czisny, Jane Bugaeva and Emily Hughes sweeps the podium.

MM

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
While the ladies have skated well, the men have had a repeat of 2003 Nats. Therefore, the judges decide to keep Maribel Vincent Owens's record intact by giving the ladies gold to Sasha and the men's gold goes to Kwan. Kwan takes advantage of the endurance that she gets, training in the mountains, to add another 30 seconds to her program, and, at Worlds, lands 8 triples, including a triple axel. Plushy's knee gives out, so Kwan wins the men's gold.

attyfan said:
While the ladies have skated well, the men have had a repeat of 2003 Nats. Therefore, the judges decide to keep Maribel Vincent Owens's record intact by giving the ladies gold to Sasha and the men's gold goes to Kwan. Kwan takes advantage of the endurance that she gets, training in the mountains, to add another 30 seconds to her program, and, at Worlds, lands 8 triples, including a triple axel. Plushy's knee gives out, so Kwan wins the men's gold.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
attyfan said:

I like that one! :love:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Interesting speculation Attyfan....

attyfan said:
To take that speculation a step further....

If Michelle loaned Julia S. one of her Vera dresses, and Julia loaned MK her "Carmen" Multisex dress, could MK win both Men's AND Womens's gold at worlds????? A Multisex dress might also serve to remind us of the "couple" who made Bolero famous in figure skating. A good fit all the way around I say!

:rofl:

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
After their glorious triumph at Nationals, Michelle and Sasha hold a joint press conference to announce their retirement. Michelle says,

“Now that I have tied Maribel Vinson Owens’ record of nine U.S. championships and Carol Heiss Jenkins’ record of five world championships by a U.S. woman, I feel that for me to keep on winning more and more and more titles would be disrespectful to these great competitors and to the history of our beloved sport.”

Sasha says, “I thank all my millions of fans for their support over the course of my career, and now I believe it is time for me to move on and stop hogging up all the medals away from the younger generation of skaters, who deserve their chance to try to win something, too.”

At Worlds, the U.S. team of Alissa Czisny, Jane Bugaeva and Emily Hughes sweeps the podium.

MM

he he he...
:biggrin: :laugh: