Flu shots | Golden Skate

Flu shots

My Mom, age 91, lives in a retirement complex which is located in the hospital district of her town. When it was time to get flu shots last month, a supply of shots was made available to the residents. But there was a shortage so only the older people got them, and the younger people had to wait.

The cut-off age was 100, so Mom, a spring chicken at a mere 91 :rock: , was out of luck!

Mathman :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Larry did she eventually get one? Around here when they first got them doctor's offices didn't receive theirs but Krogers and a couple of the local drug stores DID get them. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: They asked that only those at risk take the shots but refused to turn anyone down . So....construction workers and college students got them while many seniors had to go without. :mad: IMO it was very irresponsible of them to do this.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
My Mom, age 91, lives in a retirement complex which is located in the hospital district of her town. When it was time to get flu shots last month, a supply of shots was made available to the residents. But there was a shortage so only the older people got them, and the younger people had to wait.

The cut-off age was 100, so Mom, a spring chicken at a mere 91 :rock: , was out of luck!

Are they serious???!!!! Cut off age was 100??? How many people there were over 100?

Mom eventually got one from her private doctor, and then later they got enough free ones for everyone.

I think there are about 20 residents over 100 (out of 90 or so total). The oldest is 105. Some of them have lived there since the 1940s when the building was a regular apartment complex.

This is a not a nursing home or assisted living facility, so even the oldest are pretty healthy. You have to be able to show that you can live independently to get in. For instance, you have to be able to remember when to take all your pills without being reminded by the nurses -- that's the hardest part!

One lady, age 99, recently had to go and provide home care for her daughter, who was dying of cancer. But she came back just as vigorous after the daughter passed away.

One time last summer (this was a period when president Bush was particularly pushing his "No Child Left Behind" education program), Mom went with her group of special friends to the shopping mall in the bus provided by the residence. Somehow, when it was time to leave to go back home, Mom missed the bus. (She blames it on the 105-year-old. She sat in mom's seat on the return trip, which confused the bus driver as to who was there and who was missing.)

So the next day she made a huge sign and taped it to the side of the bus: No Old Ladies Left Behind!

MM:)

gezando

Final Flight
Mathman said:

Are you able to keep up with your mom? IIRC you told us that she does not use the elevator, she walks up the stairs??

Anyway, I think the maker of FluMist is trying to get FDA approval for people over 49, the current cut off age for flumist. (BTW, I am not entirely sure about this, since I do not and am incapable of doing infectious disease work) :rofl:

Last edited:
:) The heart doctor doesn't let her walk up the stairs (eleven flights) any more. But she still walks down, three times a day.

Mathman