Is AAA a monopoly? | Golden Skate

Is AAA a monopoly?

Vash01

Medalist
I have been a AAA member for years, out of need, and not because I like them. I have been dissatisfied with their service. They are slow responding, and their phone operators don't listen. I have been frustrated for sometime. Is AAA a monopoly or is there another company that provides similar services? I know of the different travel clubs but I have not met anyone that actually used their services.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Vash

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
AFAIK in the last few years AAA has consolidated a lot of their services, insurance, PR, and auto club. The only part that hasn't changed is the travel agents are still located at each local office...walk in business is VERY good. So..... the auto club rep, insurance agent that you have been used to dealing may no longer be there in the local office. When calling the same number your calls may be routed to another office in another town or county. There are other auto clubs, insurance companies, and travel agencies but AAA is probably the most well known. Not a monopoly but one stop shopping?

Last edited:

Summerkid

Rinkside
I use the BP Motor Club and they are great. Similar roadside services as AAA but I don't think they have any other branches like auto insurance or travel agents. They do have deals with several car rental companies. I have had great service from them.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Usually, large Insurance companies have very reliable roadside assistance services. They don't do travel, but since they are in the business of protecting customers(i.e.keeping thier business), they are usually very responsive.

I believe Allstate is one of the better ones.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Sorry, but I worked for a State Farm agent and Allstate was considered really bad. None are great but I think State Farm is probably one of the better ones. I got AAA after I lost my husband and it's been ok for what little I have needed. It does seem to me that they're a monopoly. We had had them years ago but they wouldn't do anything when we were pulling a trailer and we cancelled it. I think their charges are really over priced.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Some AAA trivia.

They are not for profit.

They are the biggest makers of maps in the world.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Vash.........I am a member of the Allstate Club, and between the two, I'd take AAA anyday. With Allstate, you have to literally shout the name of your town and state into your phone, and hope that it's understood. How many different ways are there to interpret Fresno? With AAA at least you get to speak to a human being and not an automated system..........42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
I have been a AAA member for years, out of need, and not because I like them. I have been dissatisfied with their service. They are slow responding, and their phone operators don't listen. I have been frustrated for sometime. Is AAA a monopoly or is there another company that provides similar services? I know of the different travel clubs but I have not met anyone that actually used their services.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Vash

We have BCAA here in British Columbia - similar. I used to always join, but the rates went up so much and they seemed to cut back on some of their service, so I quit joining. However, I have been thinking of joining again. No, I don't think any of these outfits are a racket. They do come in handy at times. BCAA certainly came to my rescue a few times.

You could shop around. I know Canadian Tire has a club here; but I don't think it is as good as BCAA.