Short Programs at NATS | Golden Skate

Short Programs at NATS

2ndmark

Rinkside
I am becoming truly excited about Nats getting underway next week. Here's hoping for solid skates by all of our favorites.

My big question mark is the short programs. Usually by this time in the season we are familiar with both the long and short, but since they were not telecast on the GP, we're pretty much in the dark. I did see Johnny's short at one of the events, but that's it.

Anyone with knowledge, speculation or thoughts about what may be in store?

eliza88

On the Ice
Anticipation for seeing the SP's is almost overwhelming!

It will probably be strange for Sasha and Michelle using their SP's for the first time this season. (please tell me that Sasha DOES have a new SP!)

eliza88

PS. I am going to Nats so I cannot wait to see the SP practices! (and, no, I am not bragging I am just plain excited!)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Brag on Eliza.....and let us know every detail :rock: !

eliza88 said:
Anticipation for seeing the SP's is almost overwhelming!

It will probably be strange for Sasha and Michelle using their SP's for the first time this season. (please tell me that Sasha DOES have a new SP!)

eliza88

PS. I am going to Nats so I cannot wait to see the SP practices! (and, no, I am not bragging I am just plain excited!)
So, you'll be posting regular practice reprts, right? :)

Michelle's is Sparticus. This is music of a very different character than The Feeling Begins, so she definitely will not be able just to skate a generic old program to new music.

Mathman

eliza88

On the Ice
I would love to post some practice reports--I won't have a fancy wireless laptop with me though! I am always amazed how some people can watch/type/post, that's multi-tasking at its best!

eliza88

Jhar55

Medalist
Eliza88, have fun at Nationals wish I could have gone this year. Maybe I'll get to go for at least part next year in St.Louis being it's only about an hour away from me.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
We may bring the laptop- i have to check with the hotel about their internet access. I probably won't bring it to the rink; just post reports each eve. If they let me bring my camera in, I hope to be able to load a few pics each day.

I don't have a website or anything to post them to though... If someone does, send me your email, and I'll see if I can get the pics to you for posting and sharing through GS. Course, it may all fall through. After all, most nights it goes well past 11pm... I may be a skatezombie by that time.

Off Topic: WooHoo! 100 posts! :cool:

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
sk8fanconvert said:
We may bring the laptop- i have to check with the hotel about their internet access. I probably won't bring it to the rink; just post reports each eve. If they let me bring my camera in, I hope to be able to load a few pics each day.

I don't have a website or anything to post them to though... If someone does, send me your email, and I'll see if I can get the pics to you for posting and sharing through GS. Course, it may all fall through. After all, most nights it goes well past 11pm... I may be a skatezombie by that time.

Off Topic: WooHoo! 100 posts! :cool:

I have a geocities site that I have no problem with hosting any pics on. PM me if you still need someone to do that.

To all you Nats Goers - Watch you see at the practice sessions is not necessarily what you see later on the week. For one thing Nikidinov's practices come out looking like she will win the event.

Kwan will not run through her entire routine at practice but 'walk' through it for placements. Most skaters do that anyway.

Weir will land two quads but will he use one of them in the competition? I think not.

I could go on but you get the picture. Enjoy the practices but don't take them seriously.

Joe

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
To all you Nats Goers - Watch you see at the practice sessions is not necessarily what you see later on the week. For one thing Nikidinov's practices come out looking like she will win the event.

Kwan will not run through her entire routine at practice but 'walk' through it for placements. Most skaters do that anyway.

Weir will land two quads but will he use one of them in the competition? I think not.

I could go on but you get the picture. Enjoy the practices but don't take them seriously.
Joe
Yes, all practice reports should come with a disclaimer "For entertainment purposes only." About as reliable as Miss Cleo's Psychic Predictions.

Nikidinov is masterful in practice! Nothing but big, beautiful triples! I finally understood the wistfulness in Dick's and Peggy's voices when they covered her programs.

Have to disagree about Kwan, though. The past two years we have seen her do complete long program run-throughs. It was pretty cool. Both times she didn't do it to her music, but while someone else's was playing. It looks like she has every note in her head pretty well! Course, this year we will miss the last LP practice because it's at the same time as the Dance or Pairs competition.

mzheng

Record Breaker
sk8fanconvert said:
Nikidinov is masterful in practice! Nothing but big, beautiful triples! I finally understood the wistfulness in Dick's and Peggy's voices when they covered her programs.

ITA. Her triples, she always done seperately in practice, are big and beautiful. The problem with her (mentally and physically) was she never could complete the runthrough of her program in practice. She'll start all over again whenever she missed a jump.... then after a few tries she just kind of running out of gas. If the rumor was true, then her skates in competetions were all the repeat of her practices. The only difference is in competetion, she was forced to push through; while in practice she was allowed to stop restart the music again.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
mzheng: "ITA. Her triples, she always done seperately in practice, are big and beautiful. The problem with her (mentally and physically) was she never could complete the runthrough of her program in practice. She'll start all over again whenever she missed a jump.... then after a few tries she just kind of running out of gas. If the rumor was true, then her skates in competetions were all the repeat of her practices. The only difference is in competetion, she was forced to push through; while in practice she was allowed to stop restart the music again."

That is a really bad way to approach a problem, because all it does is enforce the mistake by increasing the tension at the same time in the actual performance and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ryan Jahnke's SP is on Rinkside, as is Tim Goebel's and Johnny Weir's.
All of them look GREAT! I hope they will all skate them well at Nat's and thanks for any reports!!!

If you're not on Rinkside, if there are any of the SP's you really want to see, I can upload them to yousendit and post a link, if I have a copy.

I&B's, O&L's, S&D's, and D&H's short programs are all on Rinkside too. O&L are using the same one as last year, and I thought they did it better at last year's Nationals than they have this year. It's a very neat program. D&H are great SP skaters. Get their COR program. I&B's SA program is the one to get for them. That's the one where they land the first ever SBS 3Lutz. S&D's SP is a pretty heinous Spanish number with him looking wodgy in a Bolero jacket, but their new LP is very interesting.

OD's-B&A's is very, very good, and it is one reason they were 2nd at GPF-it's much better than Denkova and Staviyski's OD. Gregory Petukhov's is very good too, although a little too fake flapperish during the Charleston for my taste. I haven't cared that much for GR-M's or even Goodwin Bommentre's-the one I like is Matthews/Zavozin from the JGPF.

The real question is WHAT DO Michelle and Sasha's SP'S look like??? Angela's is a nice usual Angela SP, available for Skate America.

mzheng

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
mzheng: "ITA. Her triples, she always done seperately in practice, are big and beautiful. The problem with her (mentally and physically) was she never could complete the runthrough of her program in practice. She'll start all over again whenever she missed a jump.... then after a few tries she just kind of running out of gas. If the rumor was true, then her skates in competetions were all the repeat of her practices. The only difference is in competetion, she was forced to push through; while in practice she was allowed to stop restart the music again."

That is a really bad way to approach a problem, because all it does is enforce the mistake by increasing the tension at the same time in the actual performance and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yes. ITA. I read somewhere that Nickle Bobak used to have the same problem. Start all over again whenever a mistake was made.

What Angela lacks, IMO, is the WILL to push through in practice. She knew her endurance problem and watched Michelle do double run throughs (LP and SP). Wanted to do run through LP herself, but once the mistake made, she stopped... May be she just can't help it.... Her jumps were described very BIG and BEAUTYFUL.