Bourne & Tchernychev article | Golden Skate

Bourne & Tchernychev article

An interview with Shae-Lynn in the latest Spotlight on Skating gives a little more insight into why her proposed partnership with Peter T. did not work out. ("Shae-Lynn Bourne Goes Solo, page 16, December 2004 isuue). Shae says:

About Peter applying for Canadian citizenship: "As time went on, though, Peter really reconsidered the whole issue. I think he nay want to keep the door open, so he can possibly compete for the U.S. in the future."

About Peter's long-term committment to the partnership: "I talked to Peter about the offers we had to do shows, but he said, 'I don't know how long I want to skate.'"

About training together: "Originally, Peter was going to make the move to Newington (where Shae trains and teaches, along with Morozov), so we could be at the same rink full time. But as time went on, he didn't want to make the move. He had a lot going on in Hackensack (in particular, he was doing choreography for Inoue and Baldwin and for Scott and Dulebohn), and I don't blame him, but I wondered if it would be possible to have a partnership if we were only training together part-time."

Reading between the lines, what I got out of it was that Shae expected to be running the show. When it didn't work out that way, as the article says, "the dream team woke up," LOL.

Mathman

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'm also wondering if Peter is looking seriously into coaching/ choreographing. I'ver read in an interview with Berezhnaya and Sikhuralidze that Peter has helped them with choreo for a program. So may be he's looking at someone like Morozov and saying, "Hey, I can do this!"

With all due respect with Shae, I would very much like to read something from Peter on what she says. If he doesn't want to lose the chance for American citizenship, then say it.

What about his interest in competing or show skating or total retirement?

He's got things going on in Hackensack. Good for him but just say it.

Why does he leave it to Shae to speak about these things?

Joe

miffy

Rinkside
As no skating magazines have printed interviews with Peter and he doesn't seem to have an agent atm, there hasn't been been much opportunity for him to give a statement. I hope we will hear what his future plans are soon (if & when he has definite plans.) As for the situation with Shae-Lynn, in the BOI interview a few months ago he did say he had emotional ties to the U.S. and that it would feel strange skating for Canada.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if she wants to run her mouth, I say let her! Victor was another one who didn't make much of a statement after their breakup, and I felt that she was very one-sided and harsh on both of these breakups... however if they just want her to vent and just stay out of it, more power to them...

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Peter does have an agent. And I like Peter a lot. But I certainly don't blame Shae for answering a few questions. A big deal was made out of the "Dream Team" - then suddenly.....Peter decides it just "ain't gonna happen."
The time to decide before making these huge public statements would have been BEFORE making them. On this one, my sympathies side with Shae. Luckily, she's a big enough talent she can make it on her own as a single show skater.

OT -- Hi Z. Based on this issue, Spotlight on Skating seems to have fired all of their reporters/writers except one. What gives?

Mathman

Zanzibar

Final Flight
OT. Hey M! Hmmm...I don't know - what do you mean - is only one writer listed on the masthead? I've only seen the new cover, the one with Brian Joubert on it (and he looks great, btw) but haven't seen the issue.

Hmm. The masthead lists 8 "Senior Correspondents." But this issue is a tour de force for correspondent Lynn Rutherford. She has (with editor Lisa Hardman) a 10 page, 17 item news summary, plus 13 multipage feature articles: on Joubert, Kristi, Jennifer Robinson, Denkova and Staviyski, Lefebre and Markhov, Kerr and Kerr, Wing and Lowe, Winkler and Lohse, Susanna Poykio, Zarorska and Siudek, Skate American, Skate Canada, and Paul Wylie -- about 45 pages worth in all.

The whole rest of the magazine was 1 unsigned article on Shae-Lynn, 1 feature by Alexei Y., articles on Cynthia Phaneuf and on Dubreil and Lauzon by Lyndsey March, and an article each by European correspondent Klaus Reinhold Kany (Stefan Lindeman) and by Steve Milton (Brasseur and Eisler) -- about 11 pages total.

So rock on Ms. Rutherford. :rock: It's a fine issue of my favorite skating magazine.

Still, it seemed strange, like maybe there was a strike by the other writers or something.

Mathman:)