Frustration | Golden Skate

Frustration

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well I got hired by my church in Kenai to create their website. So I started on it today. It took me all day to figure everything out (I'm used to yahoo, but we're using a Christian service for the church) and so I have been very frustrated all day long.

http://www.firstbaptistkenai.net <--it's a crappy graphic but it's just a quicky for right now...

I just need to know if it looks good so if you all could, tell me if it looks good (is centered and isn't overly huge) and what size screen resolution you have... just for my piece of mind! :) thank you so much!!! :cool:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
1. If the name is "First Baptist Kenai", then you misspelled it. I do, though, like the combination of the picture and the font. Certainly creates a mood.

2. To me personally (and this is just my opinion, so please don't take it personally, I'm not exactly a pro or anything), the picture in the middle and the photos just don't do together. The picture in the middle is very beautiful and spiritual; it makes the photos look, IMHO, cheesy. If I were you, I'd take them out of the first page, and replace them perhaps with something religion-specific; this would emphasize that this is after all a website for a church, not just a community group. Then, have the photos appear on the margins of consequent pages, where they'd be more appropriate, such as in the information about all that your church does. Again, this is just my opinion.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Toni it looks good to me, but where is the "Hillary in 2008" banner? :biggrin:

Seriously, the background picture looks awfully dark like a storm approaching. I almost missed "The Family Church", and the "i" in Baptist is not visible (some of the script seems to fade to nothing ). Hope that helps.

Congrats on getting the job. Someday we can all say "We knew Toni when...". Also Happy 20th coming up, enjoy Portland and Nationals.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh jeez can't believe I did that (typos)

this banner is temporary tomorrow I am going to get photos of the church up there...

I will go and fix that dumb thing now :rofl:

Now I am only seeing one big picture. It is very beutiful, BTW -- are you the photographer.

On my computer, with the window maximized, on both my AOL browser and Internet Explorer, at 800X600 resolution, the picture is well centered, fills up most of the screen with margins of about 1 inch on left and right, 1.25 at the top, and 1/2 inch at the bottom. I have to scroll down every so slightly to see the bottom of the page (about 1 inch).

MM

sk8m8

Final Flight
works on Opera and Mozilla browsers too. Good luck with it, building a website from scratch is a challange. I would suggest finding sites that you like and mimicing the code. Most HTML code is open and can be viewed by going to
View>Source. It's not consider stealing unless you use their images or verbiage. Most HTML teacher encourage you to do this very thing to understand the structure so you can get the webpage to "act" as you wish.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Now I am only seeing one big picture. It is very beutiful, BTW -- are you the photographer.

MM

yes, I am :) thank you! :)

sk8m8 - I've already started getting ideas for layouts, and I think I've got it all figured out... now I just need good weather for the church building's photoshoot :rofl:

sk8m8

Final Flight
Toni, seeing as you are doing if for church, don't you think you could ask "you know who" for a little assistance? :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:laugh: someone must have been watching, because it's coming together now! :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Toni, I am not sure this is the best picture of your church. The left side of it (with the cross) looks good; but the rest of it somehow looks like a barrack. I am sure this is just a picture, but may be you have a better one. Once again, sorry if I'm being too critical.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
nope not to critical... but you're wrong about the photo LOL until spring/summer I won't get a cheery looking photo from any angle as the sun just doesn't get high enough (which sucks as it's quite a few months until spring here) not only that but the church just got re-sided and the color is completely different so using old photos isn't an option UGH!!!!

I was lucky to get any shots... where I had to stand to capture the church I almost got hit by a drunk driver, I fell down the "embankment" and got covered in snow... I was far off the shoulder, and the police officer that was pulling this guy over was more than a little upset! :mad: his car was way off the road... it was scary... thankfully the camera is ok

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah, that too

I should ask for medical insurance since I'm on staff now at teh church :rofl:

bronxgirl

Medalist
That's really a good idea. You never realize how valuable health insurance is until you need it and don't have it.

I think the church looks fine. It looks fuctional rather than ostentatious, in keeping with Baptist tradition.

But when the sun comes out, maybe you could try to soften the severity of the line by shooting it from a point farther to the left, so you would get some oblique perspective lines, rather than everything so rectangular. (?) Can you get far enough around toward the front so you could read the sign, but still see the back part of the church?

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Math, I tried, but the trees that were there when the church was planted have grown and you can't get a very wide shot, unless you WANT the trees to be the main focus, I'm told that they will be leaving come spring so hopefully then I can get a good shot! Not only that but the sun reflected so bright on the sign while i was there that the shots I did get of the sign didn't have much of anything on it...

this shot will have to do... the highway is RIGHT THERE so I can't work too well with angles (look what almost happened to me! LOL) I'll have more angles to work with come spring/summer (and then I will never ever update the photos again ha ha! too much like work)