Interview with Bianchetti | Golden Skate

Interview with Bianchetti

Check out the Golden Skate Home page. There's lots of news there and one which, of course, is interesting to me, is what Bianchetti has to say in this interview. The speed skating branch of the ISU has the power.

Check out also this Ice skating International - On line. especially the article on Judging the Judges. Did you know that the entire Soviet judging corps were banned for a year during the 70s?

Joe

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Joe I just got through reading her book "Cracked Ice" and still couldn't believe that speed skating has all the power. Figure skating brings in all the money and speed skating has the control. It just doesn't seem right. Until there is a president that is part of figure skating "speedy" and his friends will be controlling the sport. After reading the book I am more convince that figure skating needs to break away and have it own federation.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Joe I just got through reading her book "Cracked Ice" and still couldn't believe that speed skating has all the power. Figure skating brings in all the money and speed skating has the control. It just doesn't seem right. Until there is a president that is part of figure skating "speedy" and his friends will be controlling the sport. After reading the book I am more convince that figure skating needs to break away and have it own federation.
Welcome to the world of New York City, which pumps billions of tax revenues into the state coffers of NY, and whose citizens pump more billions into the Federal coffers. In return, NYC gets to impose a city tax equal to over half the state rate in order to make up for the deficit of outward-flowing money to the dying economies upstate and subsidies to central US, while the New York State legislature flips it the bird, and more per capita in Homeland Security funds are sent to Wyoming, instead of the biggest target in the country.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hockeyfan-
Are you comparing the ISU to the political world of New York city? I guess you could compare the ISU to any "corrupt" or "misleading" political organization. The ISU sounds more like a dictatorship then a democracy. Money going to the wrong hands. It's always about the money, ... and power.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Hockeyfan-
Are you comparing the ISU to the political world of New York city? I guess you could compare the ISU to any "corrupt" or "misleading" political organization. The ISU sounds more like a dictatorship then a democracy. Money going to the wrong hands. It's always about the money, ... and power.
Not to the political world -- to the financial world. As you mentioned, Figure Skating makes all the money, and Speed Skating controls all the money. In NYC, tax money goes one way -- out -- to the state and federal governments, who control the money.

It's similar to businesses where one product is a cash cow and subsidizes the rest. Often, the group that is making the money doesn't get much back.