Nationals must be near | Golden Skate

Nationals must be near

Nice article. Little that we didn't already read elsewhere but coming from NBC which has no interests in Worlds, I was a bit surprised. Yet, NBC I think, has the Olys and maybe they want to butter her up to make sure the Figure Skating segment gets high ratings. She is a draw even without 3x3s. IMO, she's even a star without 3x3s.

Joe

Note the headline: "Michelle Kwan will go for her sixth world skating championship next weekend." That's how much NBC pays attention to the sport. :laugh:

MM

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I have a question, Mathman. Doesn't Kwan have 5 world championships? Wouldn't that mean she IS going for her 6th world championship? I'm confused by your post. She isn't going for her 7th or her 5th (cuz she already has that). So I'm just wondering why you posted that.

ETA: Uh, why am I "tripping on the podium"??? :laugh:

NEXT WEEKEND, Realistic, LOL. Next weekend she will be going for her ninth U.S. Championship.

"Tripping on the podium" means that you are in the category of 50-75 posts. (Don't blame me, Paula came up with these, LOL.) I guess it means, a few more posts and you'll be a GS medalist, LOL.

Number of Posts Title
1-24 Posts -- Rinkside
25-49 Posts -- On the Ice
50-74 Posts --Tripping on the Podium
75-100 Posts --Medalist
100+ Posts --Custom Title

MM:)

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Oh, duh, Mathman! I wasn't even paying attention to it being NATIONALS! Oh good grief! :rofl: Shows how well I comprehend what I'm reading sometimes. Thanks for clearing all of that up!

Yeah, guess I'll have to post a few more times over here to get "medalist" status. But it's difficult because I have my own figure skating board as well. :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting quote I found:

And it’s not as if Kwan is some aging superstar trying to hold on to one last bit of glory. The 24-year-old remains the sport’s gold standard when she’s at her peak, with a powerful beauty and grace no one can match. She’s won seven straight U.S. titles and eight overall, trailing only Owen, and is a heavy favorite to win again next weekend.

Considering how long she's been around, personally I think it's kind of hard not to think so... :laugh: ;)

ITA with the "heavy favorite to win next weekend" though. She's almost had this one already.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here's another one:

“It’s going to be hard for me one day to just walk out of the ice rink and say, ‘I’m done.”’

Wow...looks like she isn't even close to being done yet :eek: 2010 anybody? :laugh:

But I'm sure she more likely means quitting skating in general, not competitive skating. She may continue to do shows, pro-ams, etc.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
ETA: Uh, why am I "tripping on the podium"??? :laugh:

It's that pesky Kwan AGAIN. She refuses to let anyone else on ;) :biggrin: ;)

Why do some fans harp on Kwan's age and experience. Slutskaya's older and has been in the same competitions as Kwan. Arakawa the same and Cohen not far behind. What is it with being old at in your twenties?

As George Burns said in his nineties. "Oh to be sixty again". 👍

Joe

Fossi

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Interesting quote I found:

Considering how long she's been around, personally I think it's kind of hard not to think so... :laugh: ;)

ITA with the "heavy favorite to win next weekend" though. She's almost had this one already.

Kwan won't go in as the favorite. Soon the talk will be of the other one (Sasha). I predict Sasha will win the SP and the media will focus on the "teenage sprite" (although she is also in her 20's and no longer the up and comer) and they'll speak of Kwan's demise.
I do wish the media would get certain facts right though.

Linny

Final Flight
In a Way

Well, in a way, she is going for a birth on the World team next week so that she has a shot at another world title... so the headline wasn't completely WRONG, like others I've seen, just not entirely on the mark.
Linny