Fraudulant Bank E-mails | Golden Skate

Fraudulant Bank E-mails

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Anyone else receive these in the past few days? What looks like they are coming from legitimate banks (even has a link to the banks' websites) are not. The FBI is investigating.

Kasey

Medalist
Haven't gotten any of them...BUT, I finally got that Nigerian "oh, please help me, I need a (stupid) American to give me their bank account so I can deposit this five million dollars" one! That's been going around for years, and it finally lands in MY inbox....I feel like a part of some club now! ;)

Kasey

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
You mean I'm NOT getting the five million....just kidding!

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
It's called "Phishing". I hear a lot about these internet scam e-mails because my brother is in the Secret Service, and that agency has been the main group to battle these internet crimes. But once the banking industry got involved, the FBI is finally dedicating some resources to the problem. God knows that the Secret Service is woefully understaffed and could use the help.

Vash01

Medalist
I have received emails from banks and I just deleted them because I don't have accounts there.

I used to receive petitions from Nigerians almost daily to help them invest large amount of money in US banks. I put some of them on the 'avoid' list.

I received one email last month saying that I had won some kind of a lottery and was entitled to $650,000 (US dollars). I was asked to send my mailing address to receive it. When I sent the address, the emailer requested either a passport number or a drivers license to 'verify' my identity. At that point I became alert and did not send that information. If I missed $650,000 by doing that, so be it.

Vash

4dogknight

Final Flight
We just got one from our tax preparer. For some reason I'm uncomfortable about it and we won't be able to check on it until Monday.

The site you are directed to in the e-mail is just too long. It might be correct but there's something about this e-mail that makes my neck hairs stand on end.

We'll find out on Monday.

4dk

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The ones I have received actually give you a link to the banks website complete with telephone numbers. The two yesterday were some bank in the midwest with three letters for the name that I had never heard of. Today it was the name of a bank that I had done business with some years ago so it was a little creepy.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
No legitimate bank would EVER send you info over email unless it was specifically requested.

You should NEVER even open these emails. It is possible with an unpatched or unprotected system to get malware or viruses just from opening the email. There have been several incidents of this over the past few months.

Delete it without opening. That's the best and safest thing to do.