Stars on Ice TV Special | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice TV Special

Eeyora

Final Flight
I agree I would rather see Roz skate than Talk. I agree it was a shame it was only for OGM winners Kurt should have been included. The third non OGM winner who I would have liked to be included was Paul Wylie.

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I didn't see the show at all, but it was interesting reading your comments about it.

To me, and this is JMO... The Worlds are more important to me and show me who the most consistent and best skaters are in the world. When someone like Kurt and Michelle win numerous World titles, and then skater comes along at Olympic time, that may or may not have been a World Champion before is all of a sudden labelled the best skater because they won that Olympic Gold.

I wish the skaters wouldn't put so much emphasis on the Olympics, but they do, that will never change.

And please do not think that I feel that Petrenko, Kulik, Lapinski, Yamaguchi etc... are terrible skaters, because they are obviously not :lol:

Meh, I am tired and I hope this post makes sense :p

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
About Olympic winners and best skaters... I have never thought that to win a competition (Olympics, Worlds, Europeans) once or several times, means that the skater in question would be the best skater in the world. It means that she/he was the best skater in that specific competition. In my opinion the top mostly means more than just one skater, there are normally 3-5 to compete seriously about titles.

Olympics is though a very serious competition, where the nerves play a much bigger role than in Worlds. To fail in Olympics, means that a skater has to wait 4 more years to try again. If one does not win at Worlds, it just means that one can try next year again. It is not at all such a pressure as competing in Olympics. And especial Olympic pressure have all those skaters that are possible gold medal contenders. There are no surprise winners in figure skating at Olympics. E.g. from the latest winners such as Baiul, Urmanov, Lipinski, Kulik and Hughes were no surprise winners for those that follow figure skating.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not wish to minimize the accomplishments of the OGM skaters. It's terrific that they have achieved their ultimate sports dream. I will say that many of my most memorable SOI performances through the years (we've been going to the show since 1993) have also come from Kurt, Paul, Brian O., Bechke & Petrov & Roca & Sur. As for the current cast, give me Todd & Yuka anytime! :love: Really, I :love: seeing the individual performances of all the skaters & how they interact with each other in the ensemble pieces, regardless of Olympic/World "hardware". :agree:

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Yuka as Vamp

They showed a brief clip of Yuka vamping it up... in her interview, she mentions that this is a stretch for her.

Why on earth would they decide to have her vamp in the first place? There are so many other skaters who do this better... let them vamp and let Yuka do what Yuka does best. For goodness sakes...

Oh, most precious part was where Anton and Elena were being interviewed and she says something unexpected... he looks at her and says "Your English gets better and better..."

Linny

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Olympics is though a very serious competition, where the nerves play a much bigger role than in Worlds. To fail in Olympics, means that a skater has to wait 4 more years to try again. If one does not win at Worlds, it just means that one can try next year again. It is not at all such a pressure as competing in Olympics. And especial Olympic pressure have all those skaters that are possible gold medal contenders. There are no surprise winners in figure skating at Olympics. E.g. from the latest winners such as Baiul, Urmanov, Lipinski, Kulik and Hughes were no surprise winners for those that follow figure skating.
Of course I realize all of what you have stated as well.
Except, IMO and I was and have been following figure skating for a very long time, Oksana & Tara were some what surprise winners...I'm sure most fans were thinking that it was Nancy & Michelle who would take the Gold in those years.
I guess what my point was, you don't have to have that Olympic Gold to prove that you are one of the best skaters in the world. IMO as stated by others, Kurt is the best skater to ever set a blade on the ice.
I did also state:
I wish the skaters wouldn't put so much emphasis on the Olympics, but they do, that will never change.
It has to suck waiting another long 4 years to go at it again, I just feel sorry for those who are medal favourites, then they make that trip to the Olympics only to be deemed a failure by the media and some of their fans. No skater is a failure to get out there and do what they do. But I think it's crazy to base any sports figures career on how they do at the Olympics, especially those who win 4 Worlds Championships in a row.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
TRAxel said:
Of course I realize all of what you have stated as well.
Except, IMO and I was and have been following figure skating for a very long time, Oksana & Tara were some what surprise winners...I'm sure most fans were thinking that it was Nancy & Michelle who would take the Gold in those years.

I too have been watching figure skating a long time, way beyond Nancy & Oksana. Actually I thought that Oksana had very good chances to win the gold and I rooted for her. As well as for Urmanov. To me Oksana was no surprise winner at all. The same applies to Tara. Of course Michelle was seen as a likely Olympic champion, but both Michelle and Tara were World champions, and I never thought that Tara could be counted out.

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Jaana said:
I too have been watching figure skating a long time, way beyond Nancy & Oksana. Actually I thought that Oksana had very good chances to win the gold and I rooted for her. As well as for Urmanov. To me Oksana was no surprise winner at all. The same applies to Tara. Of course Michelle was seen as a likely Olympic champion, but both Michelle and Tara were World champions, and I never thought that Tara could be counted out.
That is why I said "somewhat" surprise winners, because for most fans...I'm sure that was the case. Urmanov was no surprise winner either, although I am one who doesn't agree with the outcome of that men's event... but that is a whole different story :laugh:

Anyways, I am just stating my opinions and not denying that ANY of these skaters who have won Olympic Gold weren't excellent skaters and deserved those medals. There are just a lot of other skaters out there who have just as much Olympic Gold in thier blood, without ever winning it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is an eye-opener is seeing the latest lady OGM winner, totally out of shape at age 19, and barely able to do jumps a novice could do in her sleep. This, compared to Olympic medal-less Yuka Sato and 1992 OGM winner Yamaguchi, who are both in their 30s but can still do triple jumps and hold their spirals without wobbling.

Linny

Final Flight
Curves

Yuka and Kristi don't have to content with the same genetics that Sarah Hughes has to content with. Even after having a child, Kristi is as tiny as ever. Sarah has developed curves.
Linny

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In 1999-2000 Irina Slutskaya developed curves, too, and it threw her skating off for awhile. She had to adapt her diet and exercise routines to her new body and take off the excess weight so she could regain her form.

Sarah needs to do that, too. It's obvious that just skating in SOI isn't going to do it---too much sitting around on busses or in airports.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At first I was irritated that they were showing other SOI years and then pleased that I got to see G&G's program. Their program seemed effortless and how gentle he would set her down. Other than that, I am looking forward to A&E's SOI, I just hope they do it this year.

Dee