Michelle Will Win at Nationals | Golden Skate

Michelle Will Win at Nationals

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, Michelle Kwan is going to walk away with a record-tying ninth National title next weekend. 👍 She's been in intensive training the last six weeks or so, and I expect her to come out and show everyone what a great champion she is.

As far as I'm concerned, the only way Kwan will lose her title is for her to fall two times or more in the long program. As wonderful as Cohen, Kirk, and the rest are, they can't hold a candle to Michelle. Again, IMHO!

phoenixflamezzz

Rinkside
I think she will, too.

But I don't get all this talk about it being "easy". People are seriously underestimating Cohen, even more than the norm.

Michelle may want this "too" bad ala Olympics. She's stated several times how cosmic it would be to tie Owen and her 9 Nats. title that she might slip up. I doubt it, but the pressure this year is stronger than the last two years (which is evident by everyone giving her an easy win).

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kwan is going to be really lucky if she wins -- because the "she has this in the bag" is the worst jinx anyone can give her.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I think crowning Michelle the winner too early is the worst thing for her.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kwan will never in a million years win. The podium will be Cohen, Kirk, and Nikodinov. Skate Gods did you hear that? Kwan will lose. There, that should do it!

R.D.

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
IMHO, Michelle Kwan is going to walk away with a record-tying ninth National title next weekend. 👍 She's been in intensive training the last six weeks or so, and I expect her to come out and show everyone what a great champion she is.

As far as I'm concerned, the only way Kwan will lose her title is for her to fall two times or more in the long program. As wonderful as Cohen, Kirk, and the rest are, they can't hold a candle to Michelle. Again, IMHO!

Yup. Couldn't agree more. This title has been all but handed to her, IMO.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
in the immortal words of the great Doris Day

:boohoo: que sera, sera
whatever will be, will be
the future's not ours to see,
que sera, sera :boohoo:

sk8fanconvert said:
:boohoo: que sera, sera
whatever will be, will be
the future's not ours to see,
que sera, sera :boohoo:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Isn't it time for the next 14-year-old phenom to jump up and throw a scare into the Kween? Tara in 1997, Naomi NN in 1999, Sasha in 2000, Kimmie (with her new triple Axel!) in 2005.

Mathman

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think if anyone knows by now that nothings a "sure thing" it's Michelle. I think she'll skate her programs her way, and hope for the best. (I would hope that by now she's learned not to listen to the media and the "hype" about herself.) 42

Vash01

Medalist
I am rooting for Michelle to win, but I would not count anybody out. On any given day anyone can be beaten. Sasha is a formidable opponent, and very capable of beating Michelle. I just hope Michelle skates great and that it will be good enough for her to win. I don't really care if she gets a 6.0 or not.

millie

Medalist
I think that Sasha is going to win this one. She knows that she is the underdog and that everyone is rooting for Michelle :rofl: :rofl: . She is going to come out fighting for everything and prove to all the nay sayers :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that she got what it takes. (Sasha please skate the programs of your life) :rock: :rock: :rock:

flowjo35

On the Ice
I don't think anybody is underestimating Sasha or Michelle. Both have a chance to win. I think Michelle said it best in one interview something like she has been the favorite, underdog and in every other position there is but she goes out and skates. Just because some media and some fans are saying Michelle will win it going away, I don't think that's her mind set. She goes and skates to the best of her ability and that's what she will do come Nationals, let the chips fall were they may. When she lets go and skates from the heart we are all in for a treat. Go Michelle :)

Fossi

Final Flight
When has Sasha EVER been the underdog at Nationals? People can post whatever they'd like, but the judges are itching to crown someone new and the media is waiting for a new darling.
Sasha hasn't lived up to her hype...yet. This title could easily be hers.

Vash01

Medalist
My gut feeling is that Sasha is going to win this one. May be it's Sasha's move back to the west coast that gives me a warm feeling. Michelle's Bolero has not exactly impressed me so far, but it does not mean it won't get better. If Michelle wins, it won't be an easy win for her. I also agree with someone that said that Kimmie Meissner could challenge her this year.

gezando

Final Flight
I don't think MK will win. As I predicted everytime Cohen steps on the ice she will win gold, even if she falls 3 times

R.D.

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
When has Sasha EVER been the underdog at Nationals? People can post whatever they'd like, but the judges are itching to crown someone new and the media is waiting for a new darling.
Sasha hasn't lived up to her hype...yet. This title could easily be hers.

I really disagree with this. MK has nothing left to prove, really. Cohen still does. MK has the pressure but knows how to deal with it. She's been in this situation countless numbers of times and is better prepared IMO than Cohen. Cohen still hasn't been able to pull out the stops when it counts. She also lacks that fire that Kwan has when she's on. It's gonna REALLY be tough for Cohen to win this one, IMO.

I think the new "media darlings" will be the up-and-comers (Meissner, Czisny(sp) anyone?). Cohen's had her time already. She will be hyped, of course, as Kwan's main challenger (to make it seem as if Kwan doesn't have to just "show up to win"). I'm not saying she does, she still has to skate really well, but I think she can do that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
gezando said:
I don't think MK will win. As I predicted everytime Cohen steps on the ice she will win gold, even if she falls 3 times

What do you mean? Cohen fell three times at Marshall's, why didn't she win there?

Certain people, especially Cohen fans, have a tendency to think that Cohen will win if she skates clean. I really don't think that's the case. She can clearly be outmatched. IMO she'll not only have to skate clean throughout the competition (something she hasn't done yet) but she'll have to have that spark that IMO has been missing from her.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I personally don't think that the media is waiting to "crown" the next darling of figure skating. The longer you stay in and win, the tendancy is to keep that momentum going. Look at Tiger Woods. He no longer is the top dog, yet the press would love to have him back at the top............42

jesslily

Final Flight
I think USFSA does a good job to support all elite skaters. Sasha got a couple of
skating promotion activities sponserd by USFSA, and Presdent Forster praised Kimmie Meissener openly. On the other hand, Michelle Kwan wins any title because she deserves it. She has steady jumps and unique artistry. Even when she did not get the gold at any competition, she handled it with grace.