What's Your Take On the New Costume Rule? | Golden Skate

What's Your Take On the New Costume Rule?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was watching the Grand Prix Final today on the CBC - the Ladies and Pairs. I was somewhat surprised to see Irina skating her short program in a pants and top outfit. Barb Underhill, nicely explained that this is the new costume rule for the ladies - they are allowed to skate in a pants outfit if they choose. I did not know about the rule change! I wonder how many more of the ladies will opt for this attire.

I don't see anything wrong with the ladies being allowed to skate in pants...especially if it fits the theme of their program or the character they may be portraying.

Jhar55

Medalist
I see nothing wrong with the ladies wearing pants. It ould sure look better than the thong look that a few have.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Jhar55 said:
I see nothing wrong with the ladies wearing pants. It ould sure look better than the thong look that a few have.

Exactly. In hindsight -- pardon the pun -- it would have been nice if this rule was in effect last season, because then Shizuka could have put a pair on and avoided mooning everybody. :laugh: :laugh:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
There should be a rule against BAD costumes.. Someone needs to take Brian Jouberts costumes and beat the designer with them...lol

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
NJSk8Fan said:
I don't see anything wrong with the ladies being allowed to skate in pants...especially if it fits the theme of their program or the character they may be portraying.

This rule reminds me of the ruckus Katarina Witt caused with her Robinhood outfit. I liked the outfit she wore for the short program, and thought it accentuated the character. Besides, we're in the twenty-first century! Women can be beautiful in anything they choose to wear, as long as it's tasteful.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think pants are great..........especially when the gals are doing "trick"s that extend the leg up towards the ceiling......... :p 42

soogar

Record Breaker
I think they should make pants mandatory for ice dance. If those couples want to do those vulgar lifts, at least cover it up.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
About "those" lifts. IIRC a few years ago didn't they have a ruling or at least a suggestion to the ice dancers to cut down on them. Did COP supercede that?

dawnk

Spectator
IMO Irina looked much more like an athlete in pants than in the skirt, although at least her skirt covered her butt, unlike many others. Now that the skirt rule has been put to rest, maybe the ISU & others will to refer to the females as women, not ladies. This is a sport, not a tea party. In order to promote equality, if the males are called men, the females should be called women. As they are in every other sport. I notice that all the Canadian broadcasters are now referring to the females as women.That's a good start.

IDLERACER

Medalist
So will men now be allowed to wear dresses? Phillipe Candeloro and Rudy Galindo have each already tried this once, and Laurent Tobel and Lloyed Eisler have done it numerous times...albeit with somewhat mixed results :biggrin:

Last edited:

CB1AB2

Medalist
I AGREE WITH ABOUT THE ICE DANCERS=SOME OF THE LIFTS /SPLITS THAT SOME OF THEM DO ARE NOT PLEASING TO WATCH=MAYBE IF THE LADIES DO HAVE PANTS ON THEY WON'T LOOK SO BAD.

cb

Lotta

On the Ice
equestrianguy said:
There should be a rule against BAD costumes.. Someone needs to take Brian Jouberts costumes and beat the designer with them...lol

LMAO. :rofl: Be happy he's got a new costume for his LP this year. His first one made him look like a candy bar.

I like the idea of ladies wearing pants for competition. Now I'm waiting for the time when a lady skater will someday WEAR black boots. :biggrin:

S

SkateFan4Life

I see nothing wrong in the women wearing long pants for their competitive programs, provided that they aren't the torn, frayed blue jean variety. LOL.

Remember the controversy at the 1988 Olympics in which Debi Thomas wore a one-piece jumpsuit for her short program? She looked sleek and athletic, but the judges weren't too thrilled. Perhaps that's one reason why her composition marks weren't as high as they should have been. IMHO.

In the early 1990's Isabelle and Paul Dushaney wore matching pants outfits for their long program, "Reflections". The program wasn't very well received by the judges, possibly because they were "confused" at watching the two skate in identical outfits.

IMHO, I would much, much rather see the women wear pants than some of those overly revealing, cleavage-bearing costumes.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I agree that a stop has to be put to the skimpy leotards. It is getting to become too much. Especially with some of the ice dance moves. Do any of these women realize that their butt is in the air for everyone to see?

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Does anyone remember Rory Flack Burghart's program to Aretha Franklin when she won the pro championship?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
dawnk said:
IMO Irina looked much more like an athlete in pants than in the skirt, although at least her skirt covered her butt, unlike many others. Now that the skirt rule has been put to rest, maybe the ISU & others will to refer to the females as women, not ladies. This is a sport, not a tea party. In order to promote equality, if the males are called men, the females should be called women. As they are in every other sport. I notice that all the Canadian broadcasters are now referring to the females as women.That's a good start.

Actually, as a former skater - I always enjoyed the fact that we were called "Ladies" and the women's competition was referred to as "the Ladies" event. Goes to show there is some feminitiy left - especially in figure skating.

Last edited:

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I say "It's about darn time this rule came into effect!"
Irina looked awesome in the pant suit, it always seemed
somewhat sexist to me that the ladies HAD to wear dress/skirts.
I hope to see more ladies wearing them in the future. I do admit
though, there are some pieces of music that warrant a pretty
flowing dress.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I say that if the ladies are allowed to wear pants again, then the guys should be allowed to wear tights again.... Especially if they can wear them even half as well as Alexander Zhulin could..... :biggrin:

backspin

On the Ice
Unfortunately, the new rule change does NOT extend to ice dancers! Singles & pairs only. :mad:

Ice dance: ladies must wear a skirt. Men must wear trousers, not tights, and must have sleeves.