Wonderful to see Irina back - in top form | Golden Skate

Wonderful to see Irina back - in top form

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It was wonderful to see Irina back and in such good form too. Her short program is delightful. I am not crazy about her choice of music for her long program, but she skated it well although she did say she has done the program better. Anyway, Barb Underhill commented a couple times about the struggle Irina has had to make a comeback and how great she is looking. I think she has a good chance to grab the gold at Worlds.

Vash01

Medalist
I am thrilled to see her do so well so far this year. My concern is that given the seriousness of her illness, is she doing too much? I heard she had the flu around the Russian Nationals, but she still landed 5 triple jumps, after taking inhalers before going on the ice for her LP. I hope she is not pushing herself too much. I really feel she needs some rest before worlds or she could be burned out, or worse- sick.

Vash

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Irina reminds me of how Tanja Szewczenko was in the beginning of 1997. People thought she would challenge Michelle and Tara for gold in Nagano, but unfortunately (she overworked herself) she got sick when she arrived in Nagano, and was unable to compete. At worlds in 1998, she crashed onto the boards, and finished ninth =(

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am concerned about Irina, too. I think she's been trying to do too much and her "flu" at Russian Nationals raises a red flag. She did Cup of China, Cup of Russia, Marshall's, the GPF and RN in quick succession. Her best performance was CoR, but each performance after that was a little less polished and her fatigue a little greater.

Europeans is in less than 3 weeks, and I am sure Irina is determined to compete there. But if she is still showing signs of illness, I think it would be in her best interest to pass on the event.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
This is just the flu and I believe it would will pass on. I don't know if most of you followed Irina's career but it seems like she gets the flu around this time every season. She delivers an okay program at Euro's and heads to worlds feeling healthy and ready to go. I don't think anyone was more happy than I to see Irina being able to skate with the best of the world, it wasn't long ago when she was one of the best lady in the world. When you see an athlete like Slutskaya who has remained at the top of her sport for many years and then suddenly being diagnosed with a serious illness and being told that her skating days were numbered just puts things into perspective for me. She is someone who all athletes can draw up on for inspiration and it warms my heart to read that many upcoming young figure skaters see her as their role-model

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
From what I have seen of her this season, she looks better than ever. She tends to peak just at the right time..........good for her.....42

Fossi

Final Flight
I never read anything about the flu. I read she had a cough and maybe a cold. It's not really uncommon for skaters to skate with the flu, or a cough though. Sarah always fought through the flu. Sasha did it at TL, or GPF last season. Michelle Kwan skated with the flu at Worlds '99, and Tara Lipinski at TL '97 or '98. Each lady landed 5 or more triples at this competition.
I think it's wonderful too that Irina is back. It's obvious that she is healthy and very strong right now. I don't think the flu is any excuse for a 5 triple program at Russian Nationals. Irina has been doing great, she's busy, and maybe is in need of some rest? She is healthy right now, good for her! :rock:

wvgal57

On the Ice
Very obvious to all those around that she was very ill. She said in the press conference that she just about withdrew but really did want to skate again at Nationals, Flu or cold, Irina's illness can make her more susceptible to anything and I think most just worry that her CS might be rearing up.

Irina didn't make excuses, she just skated her heart out here just like she's done all season. She lives in the moment now and I suspect that if she is able to lace her skates up she'll be at Euro's. I really don't think she is thinking of medals now, it's just the skating.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Fossi said:
I never read anything about the flu. I read she had a cough and maybe a cold. I don't think the flu is any excuse for a 5 triple program at Russian Nationals. Irina has been doing great, she's busy, and maybe is in need of some rest? She is healthy right now, good for her! :rock:

Even "just" a cough or cold can be very serious for someone with a compromised immune system. Everyone responds to the flu or any illness for that matter in different ways. Some normally healthy people with normal immune systems can't even manage to get out of bed when they have the flu. That you can take the ice at all much less pull off five triples to quite an achievement when you are sick.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
wvgal57 said:
Very obvious to all those around that she was very ill. She said in the press conference that she just about withdrew but really did want to skate again at Nationals, Flu or cold, Irina's illness can make her more susceptible to anything and I think most just worry that her CS might be rearing up.

Irina didn't make excuses, she just skated her heart out here just like she's done all season. She lives in the moment now and I suspect that if she is able to lace her skates up she'll be at Euro's. I really don't think she is thinking of medals now, it's just the skating.

ITA. I think Irina's going to retire very soon, but not because of the illness. I have a suspicion that she may want to start a family very soon. I remember her mentioning (after winning her world title) that her dream was having a family in the near future.

R.D.

Record Breaker

I didn't hear anyone here say that Slutskaya was making excuses. I do agree though that she seems to enjoy the skating, which is perfectly fine, she should.

S

SkateFan4Life

I agree with all of you that it's wonderful to see Irina Slutskaya back in top form again. :agree: She was sorely missed due to her illnesses and various family issues, and it's a testament to her courage and tenacity that she's trained and worked herself back to competitive form. Her jumps are high and powerful, and she brings a joy to skating that really shows. She's a terrific skater!

I fully expect Irina to win a medal at Worlds, possibly the gold medal, and if she can stay healthy and injury-free, she stands an excellent chance of winning the gold medal at Torino.

Best of luck to you, Irina. You go, girl! đź‘Ť

Fossi

Final Flight
I admire that Irina wants to skate, but I hope she uses common sense. If it's that much of a health risk for her to skate with a cough then she needs to consider this and withdraw from that particular competition and let the cough go away. I hope she's listening to her doctors and not being stubborn.
Loads of luck to Ms. Slutskaya

Vash01

Medalist
I admire her spunk and I appreciate her desire to skate, but if she takes care of her health, she could skate longer. I was concerned about her traveling around the world to skate in Marshalls (totally unnecessary) and then to China for the GPF (she needed this one for her skating career). I don't think she is thinking of medals. She wants to skate as long as she can, but I hope she is taking care of her health first.

Fossi

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
I admire her spunk and I appreciate her desire to skate, but if she takes care of her health, she could skate longer. I was concerned about her traveling around the world to skate in Marshalls (totally unnecessary) and then to China for the GPF (she needed this one for her skating career). I don't think she is thinking of medals. She wants to skate as long as she can, but I hope she is taking care of her health first.

I have to disagree with this. If Irina isn't skating for the medals, and needing GPF medal for her skating career etc..then why is she pushing herself to compete with such a serious illness? Seriously, if she is at such a risk with a cough, the flu, being on cold ice etc...then why would she continue? If she is that sick, she must want something really badly to be jeopardizing her health.
I just hope that whatever she is aiming for is worth it for her.
I'm not being malicious. I just think that it's more than "love of skating" that is making her compete. (OGM??)
Again, loads of luck Ms. Slutskaya