Kenny Loggins Skating Special..... | Golden Skate

Kenny Loggins Skating Special.....

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I've just finished watching yet another skating special that features live singers and skaters. I've come to the conclusion that I don't like this particular format. It may work for the live audience. If you don't like the skater or program, you can kick back and watch the singer. But watching at home, the constant flickering from program to singer is most annoying. It's hard to get into the flow of the skating program when that happens. Anyone else? 42

76olympics

On the Ice
I watched it too and I did enjoy it--but I understand what you're saying. It bothered me the most during Brian B's first program or what I was allowed to see of it (probably 30%!). I am OK with most of Kenny Loggins' music (I like "Conviction of the Heart" quite a lot)--but I like skating much much more. So-they could have stayed on the skaters the whole time-from my perspective! But-I guess that wasn't the point of the show-for some folks.

That said-I really thought Sato and Dungins' program to "Pooh Corner" was lyrical and sweet. It really suited the song. I liked Yagudin's program to "Angry Eyes" too. There was a little too much Caryn Kadavy for me-she has never been my favorite.

Still-skating is not as prevalent on the tube nowadays, so I tend to enjoy most programs I catch more than I did at the end of the boom (when you saw the same programs and skaters over and over).

Last edited:

Lotta

On the Ice
It's an all right show. I don't know who Kenny Loggins is. Maybe this show and all the other "[singer's name] On Ice" shows are basically directed to people not of the MTV generation. :laugh: If they had something like Avril Lavigne on Ice I'm pretty sure the younger set will be satisfied by it and enjoy skating a lot more.

Hell, I do wish someday they make something that's LIKE Avril Lavigne On Ice. That's just my two cents. You can ignore it or send threats toward me. ;)

Discussing the show now, it's not exactly "awesome" but not "boring" either. My most favorite part was the number between Nicole, Weiss, Cousins, and Cadavy.

I liked the last number (Footloose) because it showed who can dance (Bobek and Weiss) and who can't (everybody else, LOL).

Mathman ;)

Lotta

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I liked the last number (Footloose) because it showed who can dance (Bobek and Weiss) and who can't (everybody else, LOL).

Mathman ;)

:laugh: I thought Dave Pelletier was doing the funky chicken during that lolz.

Vicky458

On the Ice
I don't like when they switch back and forth between the skater and the singer. It bothers me too that you don't get to see the entire program by the skater. I just love Yuka and Jason. Sure wish they would skate in the eligible ranks.

ritymeez

Rinkside
Well, I'm happy that they show some skating, mostly close to Nats.
Also, did they slap Weiss' butt? That was interesting. lol

mzheng

Record Breaker
I just got glimps once awhile since I was cooking dinner at the same time. The ones I got see I liked them. But overall I was not enjoyed as much as the amature competetion. The numbers for me just too cheesy.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SkateFan4Life

I did not care too much for this special. I, too, found it a little annoying the way the coverage flicked back and forth between the skaters and the singers. With all due respect to the singers, I'd much, much rather watch the skaters!
Just my own two cents, of course.

76olympics

On the Ice
Yep-Weiss' butt was slapped! I am not even going to ponder the symbolism of that! (He seemed to be the "least favored" of the boys-in the world of this number and quite "dejected" about it-hence the head hanging down prior to the slaps!)

I wish I liked Steven Cousins more. He is very energetic and seems to be very tuned into the audience, but his legs just look like floppy noodles to me. When he does spins, I keep thinking of licorice! (I haven't been drinking-don't worry!)

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Lotta, if you don't know who Kenny Loggins is, consider yourself very fortunate. I didn't even attempt to watch the show. I don't know if I want to see Avril Lavigne on Ice, but I do agree that perhaps it's time to update the music? I mean, seriously, when was Kenny's last hit? 1983?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
My first thought was, Boy, you must really love skating to listen to that horrible voice. I agree that it is really disgusting that they keep cutting to the singer. I taped it as I was busy and only saw parts of it. :eek:hwell:

I also don't know who or what this Livgne is. ???

Vash01

Medalist
I hate this skater to singer to skater to singer format. I switched channels a few times, to watch partial performances of S&D, Caryn K., and Yagudin.Then I permanently switched over to the Minnesota-Green Bay game which was much more interesting.

Honestly I am tired of seeing these cheesy shows on TV. I rarely watch a complete show anymore, and I quit taping them last year.

Vash

Grgranny said:
I also don't know who or what this Livgne is. ???
Granny, if you want to hear her sing, click here :laugh:

But Lotta, isn't Avril sort of, well, you know, sort of last year? :rofl:

Mathman

Last edited:
I don't usually like the back and forth from skater to singer shows either...but this one I enjoyed immensely....probably because I'm from the time era of Loggins & Messina, and therefore enjoy Kenny Loggins a lot. It was like the best of both worlds, a concert and a skating show.
My husband and I both thought Todd looked great doing something less serious than his usual routines and think he ought to do this type of thing more often. (not that we don't like his classy, more-serious style of skating)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Boy, you must really love skating to listen to that horrible voice.
Kenny Loggins horrible voice! GrGranny how can you say that? I love Kenny Loggins. Have seen him in concert several times. One of his songs was my wedding song sung by our close friend.

I do have to say I hate the switching back and forth between skater and singer.

Lotta

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Granny, if you want to hear her sing, click here :laugh:

But Lotta, isn't Avril sort of, well, you know, sort of last year? :rofl:

Mathman

LMAO. :rofl: I meant her as an example that So and So On Ice shows could maybe have an alternative so the younger set can enjoy also. You know, like Destiny's Child, Eminem (hmm... ;) ), Alicia Keys (that's a good one!), Clay Aiken, Blink 182 (that could be like punk on ice lmao)... anything really that could grab lots of younger audience's attentions more.

Kasey

Medalist
I can HEAR the singer, I don't have to see him! Show me the darn skaters...

Did I blink, or did Nicole Bobek not have a solo number??

My favorite was Todd doing 'Your momma don't dance'!

Kasey

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Kenny Loggins horrible voice! GrGranny how can you say that? I love Kenny Loggins. Have seen him in concert several times. One of his songs was my wedding song sung by our close friend.

I do have to say I hate the switching back and forth between skater and singer.

I'll take Kenny Loggins over Michael Bolton - anyday! Talk about a horrible and grating voice!!! I well remember Kenny Loggins, shows my age - he was quite big in the 70s. I love "Return to Pooh Corner."

I also remember him with Jim Messina - they were Loggins and Messina and were very big:

Through most of the 70s, Loggins and Messina amassed two platinum and five gold albums, worldwide super stardom, and a distinguished list of classic hits such as "Danny's Song," "Love Song," "Your Mama Don't Dance," "Vahevela," and many more. The pair parted ways in 1976 and it wasn't long before Kenny's star as a solo artist began to rise.

Everyone seems to want a crack at mixing the entertainment world with skating. Sometimes it works. I don't think tv does the venue justice though. It is much better to be there. I quite enjoyed it when Art Garfunkel sang and Kristi Yamagucci skated; also recently in a mostly Canadian production featuring Kurt Browning, Brian Orser and Jennifer Robinson, Jan Arden (A Canadian singer) sang "Good Mother" and Jennifer skated. It was very moving. Also, Kurt skated while Michael Buble (From Vancouver!) sang and David Foster played the piano. It was great.

I did not see the Loggins show, but would have probably enjoyed it.