New Kwan Articles from Helene Elliott ... | Golden Skate

New Kwan Articles from Helene Elliott ...

mzheng

Record Breaker
New Kwan Articles from Helene Elliott (Link works now)

www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-skate10jan10,1,932377.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Thanks to the anonymous fan who send the email to the newspaper asking the articel being put back.

"
Kwan finished third at the 2004 world championships behind Shizuka Arakawa of Japan and compatriot Sasha Cohen. Arakawa did a triple-triple combination jump in her victory, but Kwan hasn't landed a triple-triple in competition since 2002. Arutunian said Kwan has practiced three variations — triple toe-triple loop, triple lutz-triple toe and triple toe-triple toe — but "strategy" will dictate if she attempts one this week.
"

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuchana

On the Ice
That was a good article. Thanks for posting it up:)

Wow I'm excited to hear that she's been practicing 3 triple/triples. I don't really think she needs one for Nationals but I think it'd be a good idea for her to do it anyways in order to prepare for Worlds. She's gonna have to get every little point counted if she wants to challenge Irina and a 3/3 would definitely help I think.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I had no idea that she was practicing three different triple/triple combinations. I hope she does them. :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
I heard she has been doing them before Campbell. And fairly consistant then except the 3Z/3T. I guess that's why her Marshall's Belero (the original Dean's so I heard) only had 6 jump passes choreographed into it. Since at the time the program constructed they had it planned with 2 3/3s. Though I don't want to put too much expectation.

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Excellent!! :rock:
The link doesn't work for me anymore, but I get the drift. :)

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Well she better do one of those 3/3 combo's if she wants to be this years World or next years World and Oly champion.. She also needs to do the GP series next year and show the judges she can do a 3/3.. IMHO

R.D.

Record Breaker
If the article's true, glad to know she's finally willing to step it up a bit. IMO, good to at least have the 3-3's consistent so you can bust them out when you need to. Maybe that's what the Kwan team means by "strategy". I agree she may need one if she hopes to be world champion. National champion, most likely not necessary. The status quo will do...she's been doing fine there with that.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Remember Belero (Marshall's version, the original Dean's work) is choreographed only with 6 jump pass. That means without 3/3 only 5 triples are allowed. Unless change the program before Nationals (means getting Dean's agreement before that) there is no way she'll do a 6 triple without 3/3.