Jeff Buttle and Philip Glass's Music | Golden Skate

Jeff Buttle and Philip Glass's Music

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I just love Jeff's new long program and the music is by Philip Glass. I love his music. Ever since seeing "The Hours" I have become a Philip Glass fan. I have the sound tract from the movie and play it all the time. The music was haunting. I thought his music score should have won the Oscar.

I would love to see Jeff skate to one or two selections from "The Hours." It would be awesome. A bit of a challenge to piece something together, but if Jeff enlisted the likes of David Foster, I am sure it could be done!!

:agree:

I thinks it's the best interpretation of music I've seen this season. I usually don't care at all for Philip Glass. In fact, he might be my least favorite 20th century composer. But Jeff just makes the music sing.

Mathman

I've been a big fan of Glass's music for a couple of decades, but in the past 10 or so years, his music has become less repetitious in favor of using a variety of melodic motifs over the the underlying rhythmic structure. The most stunning piece of contemporary choreography is "In the Upper Room" by Twyla Tharp to music Glass wrote specifically for an idea they had based on a gospel hymn. American Ballet Theatre does it every few years or so, in case you live in New York and go to the ballet, I recommend looking for it.

As for Buttle's program, I think it is absolutely the best LP choreography for a singles skater I've seen in years. Buttle is certainly the right skater for Glass, but I can think of a number of other skaters who could, with the right choreographer, have spectacular programs to music by Glass. I've always loved Jeff's skating and have enjoyed most of his programs, but with the Glass program, I am splat-down, can't-breathe in love with the choreography and Jeff's performance. I'd love to see more skaters go in that direction, not necessarily using Phillip Glass but not the classical warhorses nor nondescript movie music.

Another contemporary composer I'd like to hear more of in skating is Michael Nyman. Tarasova used him for Grishuk & Platov's '98 free dance. It was Nyman's Requiem and certainly not my favorite piece by him, but at least it made a powerful impact.

Rgirl

PS Ladskater: I remember after "The Hours" came out asking you if you thought Glass's music would work for figure skating. At the time you said you wondered about that as you watched the film but that you'd have to listen to it again before you could decide. I'm so glad you're enjoying Jeff's program so much.:)

anya_angie

Final Flight
Lad,

Goldenthal had to compose dance music before filming began, I would say that is worthy of an Oscar.

brad640

On the Ice
Stephane Lambiel's LP at Europeans was listed as the Truman Show, but it also contained some of Glass's music. Lambiel got several unfavorable comparisons to Buttle, including Paul Wylie on ESPN who said his style was sloppy compared to Buttle (so is everyone else). Now apparently he is working on a new program to King Arthur for worlds.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
I've always loved Jeff's skating and have enjoyed most of his programs, but with the Glass program, I am splat-down, can't-breathe in love with the choreography and Jeff's performance.
ITA. I think this is the best choreography for a single's program I'm ever seen, even better than Curry's Don Q. I'm almost loathe to say this, because I'm afraid everything for the next three decades will not match up.

He is having his best season and one I particularly enjoy seeing him win medals for. He will be in the last six to skate, I have no doubt. But so will Stephane, and why compare? Enjoy them both. I do.

Joe

brad640

On the Ice
anya_angie said:
Um, dear, The Truman Show IS by Phillip Glass.

Thanks anya_angie. I thought the original score from The Truman Show was all Dallwitz with previously composed portions by Glass, but you were right that Glass composed original work for that film as well.

I just wonder if Buttle's Naqoyqatsi is becoming so iconic that others will not be able to skate to Glass anymore because his music is so distinctive and other skaters will be compared unfavorably to Buttle from now on. Then again, Michelle is trying to revive Bolero, which is also distinctive and associated with an iconic program.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
Thanks anya_angie. I thought the original score from The Truman Show was all Dallwitz with previously composed portions by Glass, but you were right that Glass composed original work for that film as well.

I just wonder if Buttle's Naqoyqatsi is becoming so iconic that others will not be able to skate to Glass anymore because his music is so distinctive and other skaters will be compared unfavorably to Buttle from now on. Then again, Michelle is trying to revive Bolero, which is also distinctive and associated with an iconic program.

Well, Jeff & Philip Glass music definitely belong together. I would love to see him skate to more Glass music - say something from "The Hours." I am looking for the CD Naqoyaqatsi, but so far have come up empty handed. Will keep hunting!

Thanks for your input.

Matt

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Another contemporary composer I'd like to hear more of in skating is Michael Nyman. Tarasova used him for Grishuk & Platov's '98 free dance. It was Nyman's Requiem and certainly not my favorite piece by him, but at least it made a powerful impact.

Rgirl

QUOTE]

I actually was really taken by that piece of music and have been trying to find a copy of it. That routine was the only time I actually enjoyed Grishuk/Platov's skating. Some of Nyman's music is really great, especially the soundtrack he did for the movie Gattaca

I am :love: :love: with Buttle's choreography. The choreography on its own is stand-alone brilliant, but what makes it is the fact that Buttle concentrates on making the choreography work and doesn't simply use it for the sake of PCS scores. He takes time to perform the choreography, something a lot of skaters today don't do with all the emphasis on jumps. Lambiel and Emanuel Sandhu are good about doing that as well, though they're still trying to develop as serious jumpers, which can cause them to be inconsistent sometimes and detract from the choreography

I am hit-or-miss as to my feelings about Phillip Glass. The Naqoyqatsi music is wonderful as is some of his other stuff (IIRC, he did the music for the movie Kundun, which is spectacular), but a lot of his music can be a little weird and a bit too heavy for me, but that's my opinion.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Matt said:
Rgirl said:

Rgirl

QUOTE]

I actually was really taken by that piece of music and have been trying to find a copy of it. That routine was the only time I actually enjoyed Grishuk/Platov's skating. Some of Nyman's music is really great, especially the soundtrack he did for the movie Gattaca

I am :love: :love: with Buttle's choreography. The choreography on its own is stand-alone brilliant, but what makes it is the fact that Buttle concentrates on making the choreography work and doesn't simply use it for the sake of PCS scores. He takes time to perform the choreography, something a lot of skaters today don't do with all the emphasis on jumps. Lambiel and Emanuel Sandhu are good about doing that as well, though they're still trying to develop as serious jumpers, which can cause them to be inconsistent sometimes and detract from the choreography

I am hit-or-miss as to my feelings about Phillip Glass. The Naqoyqatsi music is wonderful as is some of his other stuff (IIRC, he did the music for the movie Kundun, which is spectacular), but a lot of his music can be a little weird and a bit too heavy for me, but that's my opinion.

Matt:

Yes, Michael Nyman composed the music for The Piano; simply brilliant. It would be wonderful to see Jeff skate to this music as well.

Have you never heard Phillip Glass's music from The Hours. It's stunning. Should have won the Oscar. Wish Jeff would skate to selections from this score. Would be wonderful.

Last edited:
Didn't the choreographer for Buttle/Glass also do choreography for Rochette/Stavrinsky? both these skaters have come up with remarkable programs this season which are getting more comments from what I have observed than others.

My guess is that it is the David Wilson touch. Wilson is demonstrating a grand flair for choreography. He is able to capture that ilusive component mark of showing the 'character of the music'. Wilson gives the skaters that ability for the program and he does indeed have two very excellent skaters to take advantage of this. David will be in demand next season, imo. I'd love to see him do a Pairs number.

Bravo Jeff, Brava Joannie, Bravo David.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
I saw "The Upper Room" at Ballet Theater in NY many years ago. Terrific piece, but they don't do it very often.

guinevere

Final Flight
I haven't had a chance to see Jeff Buttle skate yet this season - I am thrilled to hear he's using Philip Glass. I've been a huge Glass fan since high school, but I think his music would be challenging to skate to. Buttle seems like a good match, and I can't wait to see it at Worlds (crossing my fingers that he makes the final 6 and doesn't get chacked)!

GoldenLady

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Didn't the choreographer for Buttle/Glass also do choreography for Rochette/Stavrinsky? both these skaters have come up with remarkable programs this season which are getting more comments from what I have observed than others.

My guess is that it is the David Wilson touch. Wilson is demonstrating a grand flair for choreography. He is able to capture that ilusive component mark of showing the 'character of the music'. Wilson gives the skaters that ability for the program and he does indeed have two very excellent skaters to take advantage of this. David will be in demand next season, imo. I'd love to see him do a Pairs number.

Bravo Jeff, Brava Joannie, Bravo David.

Joe

Yes, you are correct: David Wilson did indeed choreograph Joannie's Firebird program as well. I agree that he does a fine job of showing the character of the music; in addition, he has the ability to choreograph programs that suit the style and character of each individual skater - which is a true gift! David Wilson is my favourite choreographer these days, bar none; I *really* enjoy his work. :love:

bleuchick

On the Ice
Does anyone thinks David Wilson looks like Val Kilmer(sp?)?

Or maybe I am watching too much Kilmer movies instead of too much David Wilson. :sheesh:

No...David looks like Jim Morrison of the Doors. :yes:

Never mind me, carry on with Jeff's awesome program.

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
guinevere said:
I haven't had a chance to see Jeff Buttle skate yet this season - I am thrilled to hear he's using Philip Glass. I've been a huge Glass fan since high school, but I think his music would be challenging to skate to. Buttle seems like a good match, and I can't wait to see it at Worlds (crossing my fingers that he makes the final 6 and doesn't get chacked)!

If Jeff skates the program the way he did at Canadians, it will bring the house down. Phillip Glass music is challenging for a skater; but Jeff makes it look effortless. It's wonderful.