What's your workplace dress code? | Golden Skate

What's your workplace dress code?

Johar

Medalist
I am curious to see what is a no-no where you work, or a must-must.

When my sister worked at JC Penny, pantyhose were required. No open toe or heeled shoes. Pants only when it was below zero. And long sleeves.

At some places, women are required to wear makeup on certain features--mascara and lipstick. Several years ago a flight attendant was in trouble for not wearing mascara on the job.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
When I first started teaching in the early 70's, females had to wear skirts or dresses with nylons. (Which was ridiculous, because we were still in the "mini-skirt" era, and those were allowed). No pants for the ladies until the 80's. We now have a relaxed dress code. It's hard to get down on the floor with little ones when you're wearing skirts, (although some still do). Jeans are allowed for both men and women on game days.............at least education has come along way as far as dress codes go................42

Last edited:
I guess I really shouldn't answer this since I work at home as a childcare provider....just about anything goes! I do have to drive to pick my "charge" up from the school bus during the school year, tho, so I can't stay in my pj's. Just today we were talking about how things have changed since I went to school and now. I told the girl I take care of that I wasn't allowed to wear pants to school in grade school....she said "oh, you went to Catholic school?" I said no, that was just the rules until the early 70's, girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school.
I know a teacher who is not allowed to wear sneakers/athletic shoes/jogging shoes. She got in trouble one time for forgetting to take her "dress" shoes with her, she preferred to drive in and walk to her classroom in sneakers and change before class.
My husband can be sent home for the day, obviously without pay, for not having steel toed shoes.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
For me, it's very relaxed. We cannot wear holter tops or short shorts. However, one time someone (don't know who) complained to my manager that I was dressing too provocatively and he had trouble concentrating around me. My poor project leader (very shy guy) actually had to tell me about it. I still haven't figured out who that was.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The students in my elementary school are required to wear "uniforms." Their uniform consists of blue/khaki pants (no jeans), or jumper, powder blue shirt/blouse. There are school t-shirts & polo shirts for sale at reasonable prices, as well as school sweatshirts which are acceptable on gym days. No short shorts in the warmer weather. No flip flops either. Teachers really don't have a specific code as long as you use common sense. Therefore, I don't wear jeans to school or mini-skirts. I usually wear nice pants to school. Sometimes I'll wear a skirt or jumper. Every Friday most staff members dress in the school colors - royal blue/yellow or navy blue/khaki pants with powder blue shirts/blouses.

Johar

Medalist
I once worked at a catering/waitressing job where the dress code was white shirt and black bottom--skirt or slacks, but not black jeans.

Anyhow, I was wearing my skirt that came to a little above my knees and a customer complained it was too short. :sheesh:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I teach high school, and I dress up more for school than most of the other teachers. They wear khakis and nice shirts, but I choose to wear nice pants and fabulous shirts. And rockin' shoes. (Yes, I wear stilletos and pointy toed shoes to school.) The way I see it is: the kids are important to me, like a client would be to someone in the business world, so therefore, it's important for me to look good for them.

On Fridays, we are allowed to wear jeans, but we have to wear a school T-shirt. This is *way* too understated for me, and I don't do it. When we do have jeans week, I always pair my jeans with a great shirt.

I was a retail manager before I was a teacher, so I guess I've always had to dress up for work. Which is fine.

:)

PS But, yeah, I did the waitress thing, too. I've worn black pants/white top more times than I want to admit. Also worked in a sports bar, where we had to wear a referee's shirt and teeny tiny black shorts. Got lots of tips, but....eeek!

Jhar55

Medalist
Well where I work it depends what part of the company you work. Some have uniforms, if you work in the office it depends on job description myself I am what we call back of house even though I am in cubeland business casual. No jeans expsect on special days we can wear sandels / open toe shoes unless your dress in mid or longer it ok not to wear panty hose anything shorter your suppose to but even top dogs don't. Skirts / dress can't be shorter than to your finger tips nothing sleevless (skin tight)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
PrincessLeppard said:
I teach high school, and I dress up more for school than most of the other teachers. They wear khakis and nice shirts, but I choose to wear nice pants and fabulous shirts. And rockin' shoes. (Yes, I wear stilletos and pointy toed shoes to school.) The way I see it is: the kids are important to me, like a client would be to someone in the business world, so therefore, it's important for me to look good for them.

On Fridays, we are allowed to wear jeans, but we have to wear a school T-shirt. This is *way* too understated for me, and I don't do it. When we do have jeans week, I always pair my jeans with a great shirt.

I was a retail manager before I was a teacher, so I guess I've always had to dress up for work. Which is fine.

:)

PS But, yeah, I did the waitress thing, too. I've worn black pants/white top more times than I want to admit. Also worked in a sports bar, where we had to wear a referee's shirt and teeny tiny black shorts. Got lots of tips, but....eeek!

Right on!!!!

I couldn't agree more! I am a chemist so I work in a lab. However, everything I deal with is on very small scale, and I can always wear a lab coat. This allows me to wear fab suits and high heeled shoes. Most lab chemists wear jeans and very casual tops. Most people always tell me that I overdress, but my motto is that is always better to overdress then to underdress. Because of the lab, we can't wear sandals or any types of open shoes. I have a separate office from my lab, so if I know I will be in a writing mode, then I can wear the "forbidden" shoes. During summer I always wear dresses :)

I went to a very strict Jewish HS, so the dress code for girls involved skirts that cover the knee (no pants at all), tops that cover the elbow and no V-necks. That's what I call a strict dress code! But, hey, nobody I knew in school (10 years ago) had gotten pregnant :)))

Yana

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
When I started working as a nurse in the mid 70's it was white uniforms, hose, and shoes (no athletic shoes) which you had to polish. Hair below chin length had to be worn up. And then there were the lovely nurses caps Each school has a different type. Mine from WVU was white dotted swiss with a ruffle around it and a navy velvet ribbon. Getting your cap was a very big deal. with a special ceremony as was receiving your nursing pin. The thrill lasted about two weeks into the real world, LOL..Some of the more traditionl looking caps had to be starched with liquid starch. Nurses would slap them on the side of the refrigerator after starching them to dry. Subdued makeup, short nails with only clear polish, no strong perfumes, and the only jewelry allowed besides your nursing school pin, and watch was small post earrings and a plain wedding band. Things have changed ...A LOT!