She's in no rush to hunt for gold - another article | Golden Skate

She's in no rush to hunt for gold - another article

mzheng

Record Breaker
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.skating10jan10,1,1728094.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Dorothy Hamill, the 1976 Olympic gold medalist, marvels at her longevity.

"It's very, very hard to stay at that level, and the fact that Michelle Kwan has participated in as many Olympics as she has - two and most likely a third - she deserves more credit than she gets," Hamill said. "I don't think people realize and appreciate how hard it is."

and

Hamill said Kwan's record, even without Olympic gold, speaks for itself within the skating world, but "in the eyes of the world, it's very important. Little kids today, who have no idea I won a gold medal, their mom or dad or uncle will introduce me as a famous figure skater and they'll look at me and say, 'Did you win a gold medal?' and it's almost like that's what kids have been told that's what makes you pretty good.

"But for the real fans, they know that Michelle Kwan has done more than any figure skater."

Kuchana

On the Ice
Wow those are some words from Hamill and deserving about Kwan.

What's with all these great articles all of a sudden????? :laugh: Oh yeah I forgot. Nationals:)

I think Michelle and Dorothy are good friends. In one of the fluff pieces on TV recently Michelle mentioned that the most fun she had on the COI tour when she was younger was hanging out with Dorothy and Brian Boitano watching goofy movies in the trailer.

I saw them together at the December cheesefest three years ago, and they were laughing and talking together the whole time.

Interesting quote from Michelle: "I always thought that after 2002 that I'd hang up my skates and turn professional and just go on tour and do shows," she said. "But I still enjoy it (competing)."

This is the first time I have heard her say explicitly that she intended to "go pro," rather than just retire after her eligible career.

Mathman

mzheng

Record Breaker
It's true, mathman, it's herself still wants to do it.

From the A&E biography on Michelle Kwan earlier this season, when Danny talked about her little girl shaking his head "She still wants to do it. She said she think she still can win."

From a recent article Keran Kwan said "She still wants to compete, no one force her to do it."

Estela also said to my .... "It's herself wants to do it."

You got the gist the Kwan family got **enough**. LOL. That's why Danny Kwan not going to her competetion any more, too tense for him to stand. But with a daughter like her what you can do except do the best you can support her. Estela visits the rink at least once a week.

And, IMO, she is addicted to the competetion and/or audience reactions. Think about after the COI toure, where she can have plenty of audience cheering, she scheduled her competetions Campbell, Marshall, Nationals, Worlds all 2 months apart. It's like every competetion injection can last her for two monthes. Then she needs another one. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
mzheng said:
It's true, mathman, it's herself still wants to do it.

From the A&E biography on Michelle Kwan earlier this season, when Danny talked about her little girl shaking his head "She still wants to do it. She said she think she still can win."

From a recent article Keran Kwan said "She still wants to compete, no one force her to do it."

Estela also said to my .... "It's herself wants to do it."

You got the gist the Kwan family got **enough**. LOL. That's why Danny Kwan not going to her competetion any more, too tense for him to stand. But with a daughter like her what you can do except do the best you can support her. Estela visits the rink at least once a week.

And, IMO, she is addicted to the competetion and/or audience reactions. Think about after the COI toure, where she can have plenty of audience cheering, she scheduled her competetions Campbell, Marshall, Nationals, Worlds all 2 months apart. It's like every competetion injection can last her for two monthes. Then she needs another one. LOL.

mzheng you make it sound like a drug :rofl:

I agree with you, though. I compete in speech/debate, and it feels the same. Even when I don't win, I still get some satisfaction. I get a "rush", so to speak, from the nervousness.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Too bad, it's another one you need to register. I just don't do that any more. I'm on too many spam lists as it is.

Last edited:

Kuchana

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
Too ba, it's another one you need to register. I just don't do that any more. I'm on too many spam lists as it is.

Try bugmenot.com if you haven't already :)

I think even if Dorothy and Michelle didn't know each other, Dorothy would still make these comments. For one thing, she's right, IMO. As a culture, we do tend to focus on who wins the "gold," whether it be a medal or an Oscar. Michelle's longevity at the top of her sport is in a whole different league from having the skate of your life on the right night or even winning two or three World titles and one OGM.

When's the last time Michelle finished off the podium? Never? Practically.

Fortunately, though, from the results of things like the Teen Choice Awards, it seems as if young people appreciate what Michelle has done and is doing. I think she probably wants to break Maribel Vincent Owens' record of nine US titles, which is a goal easily within her reach. Then, when she wins the '06 OGM, which I'm very much rooting for her to do, she'll have all those World medals plus a full set of Olympic medals. It would be a great boost for persistence and longevity in a society so often obsessed with instant celebrities.

Personally, I hope Michelle does turn pro--when she's ready. More people would get to see her skate longer, plus I think turning pro can be a time of great growth for a skater. For example, I liked Kristi and Yuka as eligible skaters, but it was after they had skated pro for several years that a new dimension opened up in their skating, at least IMO. I'd love to see what Michelle does with her skating under such circumstances.

Plus she's young enough that she can have a good pro career and still have a family. Heck, Michelle could probably deliver in the middle of her split falling leaf -- and catch the baby too. :agree:
Rgirl

heyang

Record Breaker
I think MK last finished off the podium in 1995 - 4th at US Nationals. That was eons ago. It's amazing how many years have passed. The latest issue of Skating has includes her 1st cover for skating when she was 13 and her mimicking the same pose now.

Anyway, I think it would be great if MK was ready to turn pro after the Olympics. She's still competitive - so, there's not reason to go pro before Olys. However, I would love to see her SOI whcih really seems to give skaters the most growth as pro's. I was never a huge fan of Todd's as an eligible, but really enjoy him in SOI. I also think Meno & Sand had more growth with SOI than they would have wigh COI.