Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hersh Cohen Article (unfavorable)

Woman of the Waters
    Quote Originally Posted by millie
    Probably if Sasha had a Corvette and gave Phil rides to free basketball games, he would say good things about her too.
    Oh please. :sheesh:

Custom Title
    Don't blame Michelle for Robin saying things to the public. Phil has not always been kind to Michelle either. I would say at some point he liked Sasha but then turned on her like he does everyone (including Michelle).

I would have kept this private. Both TT and Robin have said things but I'm sure that some is true. They also have their own faults. I'm personally glad that Sasha moved on from Robin..but she should have stayed with TT.

Anyway it was Michelle would almost beat Arakawa last year (long program)...not Sasha.

Quote Originally Posted by missflick
    Still didn't work for me.
    Me neither. Even after registering successfully, I still couldn't get to the article. It kept bringing up the new registration page.

I'm editing this to add that I decided to give it one more try, and IT WORKED! Now I'm going to read the article.
    Last edited by RealtorGal; 01-12-2005 at 10:25 AM.

Woman of the Waters
    Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    Me neither. Even after registering successfully, I still couldn't get to the article. It kept bringing up the new registration page.
    Did you try bugmenot.com? It's quite handy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuchana
    Did you try bugmenot.com? It's quite handy
    Yes, I tried registering AND bugmenot.com and I kept getting sent back to the main registration page. I have no idea why the bugmenot.com codes worked this morning, as I did absolutely nothing different than I did last night.

Okay, now I've read the article. I don't think we're really reading Hersh at all. It's all Robin, Robin, Robin and her very frank assessment of her time with Sasha. It's probably the most insight we've ever had into Sasha's problematic skating. It really explains a lot.

Woman of the Waters
    Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    Okay, now I've read the article. I don't think we're really reading Hersh at all. It's all Robin, Robin, Robin and her very frank assessment of her time with Sasha. It's probably the most insight we've ever had into Sasha's problematic skating. It really explains a lot.
    That's what I thought as well. Another thread in another site complained about how harsh Hersch was being but it's to be noted that he was basing it on what Robin was saying.

Luv Deep Edges!

Sasha Article

Hi RealtorGal - I agree with you that Robin's comments are tough, but explain much about Sasha's nature. I believe it is totally appropriate for a coach, any sports coach, to state that the main goal for an elite athelete is to stive to become a champion.

And she confirmed what I had been thinking for a while - Sasha, for all of her beautiful extension and turn out, seems artistically safe and conservative. C'mon, skating to Swan Lake - Romeo and Juliet - Malaguena? I love Sasha's style, but I don't believe she has a musical soul...... sorry, but I don't, never did. I even believe Irina outclasses her in the interpretation of music.

My question: does Sasha have enough muscle mass to power jump combos? I checked out my clips of Midori Ito landing her 3Axle, and I just don't see Sasha in the same class body-wise, strength-wise. Obvisously Sasha will never develop a body type like Ito or Irina, but does she even have the physiology to power those combos? God, I hate to see Sasha wrack her body (especially her back and hips) like this.

Tara had just enough natural rotation to complete those 3loops - and then her hip joints paid the price. I see Sasha as the same physical type.... Am I wrong?

Tenorguy

Custom Title
    hockeyfan228: "Cohen received several first place ordinals over Arakawa with the skate she had. (She may actually have had more that were dropped by the computer selection of scores.) To think that had she landed her all of triples/triple combos properly would have given her the victory isn't that far off the mark."

Kwan skated after Cohen and not only took Sasha's three 1st place ordinals, but added still another one. Sasha didn't have any 3/3s last season (she never attempted any after Worlds 2003, where she landed a 3Z3T then bombed on a spin and a solo 3T). Robin wanted Sasha to work on 3/3s but Sasha didn't think she needed one to beat Arakawa, since she'd been beating her all through the GP Season.

What Sasha said was all she needed was one more triple, and that's just plain bunk. She was so stiff and rigid in her FS and skated without expression or feeling of any kind in one of the flattest performances I've ever seen from her. Her performance contrasted poorly with both Arakawa's spirited skate and Kwan's passionate one.

Sasha also seemed to have overlooked her problems on two jumps: bobbling the opening 3Z combo, and popping her final jump. Arakawa and Kwan both skated clean, something Sasha seems constitutionally incapable of doing in the FS at a major event.

Good question Tenorguy. While Sasha doesn't have all of the muscle mass there is less of her to be rotated. Does that even things out? Amber and Jenny don't appear to be very muscular yet each can do a 3/3.

Custom Title
    But Tara had even less to be rotated than Sasha. Tara was 4'11", no more than 90 lbs and completely undeveloped when she won the OGM, and the 3/3 still destroyed her hip flexor.

Sasha is 5'2" and does have a body shape, small though it may be. There is still a lot more of Sasha to be spun around than there was of Tara.

Good point. Tara also had that awful leg wrap and IIRC poor technique. Could that have anything to do with her hip damage?

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar

As for Sasha not wanting to change, there were many people who felt that Robin made a mockery of the beautiful Swan Lake program choreographed by TT. I personally am not impressed with Robin's choreography. It's not as if Sarah was a really artistic skater. .
    I thought it was pretty common knowledge (with Sasha even saying something to the effect in her journal) that the choreography was changed in Swan Lake so that Sasha could skate it clean. I thought I even read in an article quotes from Robin stating that the program was redone in order for Sasha to get used to the feeling of having a clean skate. I never got any impression that Robin simply changed the choreography and that it happened to be lousy. Of course Sasha wasn't able to be clean with a very watered down version.

I agree with Mathman though, I feel sorry for Sasha. Her PR seems to have been working very hard pushing the whole "Robin and I are very good friends, but I was too homesick" angle, and this article seems to put this in doubt. Although I know most people on the net figured it wasn't that cut and dry anyway. At first I thought that Sasha might have an easy time at Nationals because the pressure will all be on Michelle. I no longer think this. I think Sasha knows she really needs to prove herself at this competition, and that might really hurt her. I agree that the classy thing for Robin to do would to have kept her mouth shut, but maybe she is doing a preemptive strike? The poster who mentioned how mild an article this is compared to other sports is dead on.
    Last edited by Lucy25; 01-12-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Custom Title
    When Sasha insisted that she would have won Worlds if she had landed one more triple, Robin knew there would be no meeting of minds. Then when Sasha went to Connecticut on her own to 'train' while she was having her programs done by other choreographers, Robin had to know she was on the way out. If Sasha wasn't motivated to train, there was no way Robin could possibly make her do it, but the end result---Sasha's poor performance at Campbell's, and then at Marshall's---was very embarrassing for Robin, because it reflected on her abilities as a coach, and she couldn't say anything about the reasons behind the bad performances.

But I think Sasha's remark during her press conference--that she and Robin were good friends and she stayed with her even though her skating was terrible--was the last straw. It's one thing to have a bad day on the ice, it's quite another to imply that the terrible skating was due to the coaching.

What Robin said wasn't all bad. She does have respect for Sasha's talents, and wishes her well. But on a professional basis, Robin did not want what was good PR for Sasha to be turned into a black mark on herself.

Custom Title
    I'm sure Robin and Sasha like each other. I just don't know what Sasha wants from a coach.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast