2006 Nationals | Golden Skate

2006 Nationals

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I only realized last night that 2006 Nats are in St. Louis. I've always wanted to go and just never did the planning. So I went ahead and bought an all-event ticket last night, and booked a hotel.

If I understand things correctly, the Hyatt Union Station is the "official" hotel for the event. Can anyone confirm I've got that right? It's expensive, but this might just be a once in a life time experience, so I will be saving my $$ to do it right!!

Today on FSU someone posted that the secondary arena has been changed. The original one was also in the downtown STL area, but now it's changed to one in St. Charles which I guess is about 25 miles away. I guess they will be offering free bus passes, but lordy I hate to wait in line for buses!! I was debating whether to fly or drive from the Chicago area. It's normally about a 5 hour drive, but the downside is not ever knowing what the weather will do in January. But I'm definitely driving now.

I'm so excited, and hope to meet some of you in person a year from now!!

DG

Petlover

On the Ice
DoggyGirl,
That sounds like so much fun! I am sooo glad you are able to go to Nationals in St. Louis. If it's ever in Florida, I will definitely go.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I will be going too

Hi Doggygirl,

I was really excited to find out that the Nationals will be held in STL! I grew up there and all my family lives there so I will not be staying in a hotel.

The STL down town is very small, especially in comparison to Chicago! You can stay in any of the hotels there and it would still be a 5 block or so walk to the Savvis Center (I think it's on 14th and Clark, right off Market where a lot of hotels are). Union Station is even less than 5 blocks from the Savvis. I also think that there are other hotels in the Union Station. Downtown STL is also serviced by the Metrolink (train line) which currently will take you from the airport as far east as East STL (it does not have a service to St. Charles yet). The Savvis has a stop (as the Union station) so you could really stay anywhere in downtown if you don't want to walk in January (it will be windy in downtown, but again...nothing in comparison to Chicago).

I would think that all senior events will be in Savvis (NHL size rink) whereas the St. Charles arena is a home to a VERY minor league team (UHL) so the seating capacity is most likely 5000 tops. As far as I know, Savvis is the ONLY ice rink in downtown, so it could've been an initial mistake to list the secondary arena as a downtown location. I would drive a car, if the weather is good. To get to St. Charles from STL is a straight shot on I-70, though the highway is normally congested especially near the bridge.

Anyways, feel free to ask me about STL.

Looking forward to meeting you and others there :)

Yana

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Here is the link GRGranny!

http://www.stlouis2006.com/

Petlover, if it's ever in Florida I might have to hit that one too depending on city. I've got some family and friends scattered around that great state! And Florida in January would be a cool excursion.

Yana, we will definitely have to hook up down there!! I'm sure you have the inside track to all the cool restaurants and that sort of thing.

The secondary Arena is published as being the America's Center. I'm sure they will be changing that information on the web site soon. All the Senior comps and some Junior comps will be at Savvis according to the site right now. But I'm sure I will want to see some of the comps and practices at the other place. So it's too bad they are far apart now. It's not so much the driving that concerns me, but I suspect there will be some lost opportunity to see some things just due to the time constraints of getting back and forth to a more distant location.

I'm sure there are less expensive hotels than the Hyatt nearby, but what the heck. I've always been the type of person to either want to do things all out, or not at all. As the "official" hotel I'm sure lot's of lobby sightings of interest will be possible, so I want to go for it!!!

I'm sure I won't think of this adventure so much once the 2005 season winds down, but for right now it seems like the next year will take forever to go by.

DG

2ndmark

Rinkside
Doggygirl, the Hyatt Union Station is the (or one of the) official hotel(s), the Rennaissance Grand is another. I wasn't aware the secondary arena was so far away... that's rather unfortunate (you'd think something like that would have been considered when St. L won the bid). But hopefully they will have busses well coordinated for things to run as smoothly as possible.

I already have tickets too- can't wait!

Grgranny for tickets check out: https://www.savviscenter.net/usfsa/tickets/index.asp

or:
www.stlouis2006.com

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I already booked tickets too. :biggrin:

Doggygirl, how did you already book a hotel? Did you call the hotel directly? I've tried getting on hotwire, orbitz, etc and they won't let you book anything this far out. I'll be looking for something easier on the pocketbook.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Childfreegirl!!

BTW, I free of children also, at least the 2 legged kind. :)

I also tried to do the hotel thing on line, but couldn't find any site that let's you book into January 2006. So I called the hotel directly.

I also checked out a couple of the folks who have tour packages. The main hotel rate is about 30 bucks a night lower, BUT, there seem to be pretty stiff cancellation fees. By booking it directly I think I have more flexibility if I decide later to change hotels, or if anything comes up where I have to cancel all together.

I hope a bunch of us can hook up there!!! Once we get closer to the event, and the actual schedule is published, we should work with Blues Fan who knows the area to pick a time and place for a GS happy hour, or late nighter, or something like that.

DG

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
BTW, I free of children also, at least the 2 legged kind. :)

I also tried to do the hotel thing on line, but couldn't find any site that let's you book into January 2006. So I called the hotel directly.

I also checked out a couple of the folks who have tour packages. The main hotel rate is about 30 bucks a night lower, BUT, there seem to be pretty stiff cancellation fees. By booking it directly I think I have more flexibility if I decide later to change hotels, or if anything comes up where I have to cancel all together.

I hope a bunch of us can hook up there!!! Once we get closer to the event, and the actual schedule is published, we should work with Blues Fan who knows the area to pick a time and place for a GS happy hour, or late nighter, or something like that.

DG

Sounds great! I have not lived in STL for almost 6 years but friends and family keep me posted of cool places, and I go home at least a couple of times a year and try to check out new (as well as the old time favorites) spots.

Yana

PS - STL is a great city, you guys will enjoy your stay there for sure! And, it just happens to be the Olympic year too :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I love old Midwestern cities!!

I've heard so many wonderful things about the great rennovations in the downtown area of STL. Haven't spent any real time there in YEARS since my college days when I went to some weekend festival or other during the summer - concerts under the Arch and all. I also love old rennovated hotels - another reason I'm thinking the $$ will be worth it to stay at the Hyatt Union Station.

Let's definitely plan a party!!

DG

Jhar55

Medalist
I am also thingking about going. St Louis is only about an hour drive. I usally book through a travel agent, but would it be cheaper for me to buy the tickets myself and book the hotel. If so what would be the best hotel?? I already know the cost of the tickets. Thanks for any help.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi JHar...

I didn't check with a travel agent. I only looked at a couple "package tours" on line, my own individual choices on line, and called the hotel. Travel agents can sometimes get discounts, so if you know one, I would call about the hotel and see if they can get you a better deal than on-line or in person. The downside about any "tour packages" is the massive cancellation penalties. That's a risk I'm not personally willing to take (and I like my independence while traveling anyway) but that's just me. There is PLENTY of time to explore your options. I just "Go For IT" once I decide to do something, but that's not always the most cost effective approach.

Hope to meet you there!!

DG

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Hey DG. Thanks for the info. I'll check online again in a couple of weeks or so. We'll all definately have to meet up.

How many of the four legged variety do you have? I have six, all cats. Three inside and three strays that wandered up and adopted us.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Childfree..

WOW Six cats!! I used to have cats and I love them. I gradually migrated over to dogs. We had four up until Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, our Greyhound got out of our fenced yard and we lost him to an accident - it was really tough. We also have a Beagle, a mutt and a German Shepherd. I guess you could say we have 2 2-legged non-humans - birds LOL! And a fish.

I'm glad we will get to meet in St. Louis!!

DG

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
WOW Six cats!! I used to have cats and I love them. I gradually migrated over to dogs. We had four up until Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, our Greyhound got out of our fenced yard and we lost him to an accident - it was really tough. We also have a Beagle, a mutt and a German Shepherd. I guess you could say we have 2 2-legged non-humans - birds LOL! And a fish.

I'm glad we will get to meet in St. Louis!!

DG

Totally off topic, but how do u keep sane with a beagle pup? Mine is six months old, and she's DESTROYED everything...in the house.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doggygirl said:
pick a time and place for a GS happy hour, or late nighter, or something like that.DG
That sounds worth thinking about going!!! uh besides meeting you all!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

childfreegirl

Final Flight
DG, we had two dogs, Jack Russells, but even though we live in the country, we're right on a highway, so it's a good thing we don't have them anymore. When we get this place paid off (in six years) we'll start looking for somewhere that's farther off the road with lots of land around so we can have outside cats and dogs. I want a Bassett one day. They're sooo cute.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Dee, TTCL and Childfree!

Dee, we'll just have to make sure not to start the Nationals Drinking Game too early. Staying away from any TV coverage (hence the CHUGS that are often called for) will help. :)

TTCL, I will start a new thread in Le Cafe and comment on my own Beagle and puppy chewing tips in general. I am by NO means an expert dog trainer, but have raised a number of dogs from pups at this stage and have learned the hard way. If I had a dime for every shoe I've lost, I wouldn't need to work for a living. Doesn't happen much any more though, thank God or I wouldn't have any retirement savings left.

Childfree, I will also include a response to you too on the pet front in that new thread! If you're on-line like me today just waiting around for the TV coverage to begin, it will give us something else to chat about!!

DG