SPOILER - Belbin/Agosto Compulsory Dance | Golden Skate

SPOILER - Belbin/Agosto Compulsory Dance

S

SkateFan4Life

For Heaven's sakes, why can't Tanith obtain her US citizenship this year so that she and Ben can compete at the 2006 Winter Olympics?

JOHIO2

Medalist
SF4L,

As Terry Gannon said tonight, we need to find a congressman or senator to push it through. Tanith seems resigned....she says participating in the Olympics probably doesn't qualify as an emergency. So, sharpen those pencils, get a new ribbon for the typewriter and stock up on ink for the printer and start the campaign for expedited citizenship. I suspect we'll have lots of help if Tanith and Ben get on the world podium this year. What federal representative or senator could hold out if there is a chance of an Olympic medal?

S

SkateFan4Life

JOHIO2 said:
SF4L,

As Terry Gannon said tonight, we need to find a congressman or senator to push it through. Tanith seems resigned....she says participating in the Olympics probably doesn't qualify as an emergency. So, sharpen those pencils, get a new ribbon for the typewriter and stock up on ink for the printer and start the campaign for expedited citizenship. I suspect we'll have lots of help if Tanith and Ben get on the world podium this year. What federal representative or senator could hold out if there is a chance of an Olympic medal?

It's just too bad that Tanith isn't living in New York State. I'm sure Hillary would go to battle for her, bigtime! 👍

We need to find out where she lives. Who are the Senators from her State? Who is the Congressman/Congresswoman from her district?

Come on, guys, let's do it!

Frankly, if I was Tanith, I'd be making a whole lot of noise - nicely, of course - to see that I obtained my American citizenship so that I could compete at the Olympics.

I think Tanith and Ben have a really good shot at winning at medal at Worlds this year. If they do, all of us should e-mail, fax , write, call, etc., whoever it takes to see that she gets her US citizenship.

JOHIO2

Medalist
SF,
Don't Tanith and Ben train in Detroit, Michigan?

And it probably doesn't matter whose rep or senator take up the cause. I think?

S

SkateFan4Life

JOHIO2 said:
SF,
Don't Tanith and Ben train in Detroit, Michigan?

And it probably doesn't matter whose rep or senator take up the cause. I think?

Jo, to be politically correct, the Senators and Representatives who represent the Detroit area should be the ones to take up the issue of Tanith receiving her US citizenship.

Panther2000

On the Ice
I sure wish her luck big time. But, it would probably not sit very well with the internationla judges at all. But, there is not block judging right :rofl:

I wish them the best luck

mzheng

Record Breaker
Long way to go. All those 6.0s?
How you compare to those top teams at the worlds?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hate to rain on the parade....

From the point of view of a FS fan, I hope Tanith gets her citizenship prior to the Oly's as much as anyone else.

But...that being said....I personally know so many people working towards citizenship who are struggling to get it through the proper legal channels that I could never personally "push" for Tanith as an athlete outside of the fair and legal process. There are many people working hard towards citizenship that may not be visible in the news, or be sports stars, but they are here just the same contributing to our economy and our life.

Hubby and I met with a long term friend this morning who has been working towards citizenship for several years. He is a wonderful person, and a great community contributor in far less visible ways. He's not a citizen yet, but among his wide array of contributions, is a volunteer fireman in his community. That means he risks his life for little to no pay just because he cares, loves this country, and is willing to do things according to the process as it is. He also gets involved in a number of important charitable activities in addition to just working hard at everything he does. It's cool to listen to his perspective. As frustrating as the citizenship process has been for him, he has a more positive attitude about the opportunities in America than many Americans I know.

While I would love to see Tanith and Ben at the Olympics, I would hate to see a citizen spot "grandfathered" to a sports figure over the many people who are just as important to our American infrastructure and following the rules, no matter how long and frustrating the process might be.

Now. If I could figure out a way to campaign politicians to make both Tanith AND Toribio (our personal friend) citizens prior to Olys 2006, now we're talking.

DG

Last edited:

Panther2000

On the Ice
I agree with your statement. & alot of people probably feel the same way. But, I look at it this way.

Their jobs for the olympics anyways Depends on both being citizens of the US. Other people their jobs don't necessarily require that they be citizens.

But, I can see where you are comig from. I just wish tha they took care of this issued maybe last season. & getting a sponsor from a sen. I see nothing wrong with that.

I wish them luck