Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smucker's Sky Cam

Skating enthusiast

Smucker's Sky Cam

Is FANTASTIC!!! We will finally be able to capture more of what the relative speed of the skaters' performances are with respect to one another, and we get to view PATTERNS.

This is a great step forward for TV viewers, and I love it!!

How do you all feel about it?

Custom Woman
    What you said, ChiSk8Fan, ITA! And I think they're using it in combination with the traditional camera work in a good proportion. Great step ahead in TV coverage for figure skating. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Rgirl

That is very intereting, for we can see how well the skaters cover the ice (specially when they do the circular footwork, to see if it really is circular), and the speed as well. Can't wait to see it!! But it won't be until the end of the month according to the espn latino calendar.... wonder if they'll use it at worlds as well...

I was not thrilled with the skycam...it didn't seem to keep up with the skaters very well....quite a few times I saw a leg, a foot and then blank ice for a second or so.
    Some of the vantage points it gave were nice, but overall it annoyed me. Maybe with more use and practice???

Custom Title
    I hate the thing. I makes me dizzy and whoever directs the choice of shots is doing a poor job. For example, during Michelle's final footwork section of her LP he/she used the SmuckCam shot and it diminished the clarity and impact of what she was doing. It spoiled it for me totally. It should be shelved along with the other Smucker's products.

Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh
    I hate the thing. I makes me dizzy and whoever directs the choice of shots is doing a poor job. For example, during Michelle's final footwork section of her LP he/she used the SmuckCam shot and it diminished the clarity and impact of what she was doing. It spoiled it for me totally. It should be shelved along with the other Smucker's products.

Actually, I totally agree with you. I found it disconcerting and it made me dizzy, too! I lost perspective of where the skater was on the ice.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....

RealtorGal & Yelyoh --

I completely agree with both of you. HATED IT!! At the very best, it gave you a perfect idea of what it's like to sit in the cheap seats (loved Terry Gannon's remark about "Are there any cheap seats anymore?", btw ) and at worst, it made me almost seasick, with the camera spinning up and around in one direction while the skater is going in an entirely different direction; I actually got a split-second of vertigo during Katy Taylor's program and just about fell off the couch. And I too think that had they just shown Michelle's footwork sequence in the NORMAL fashion, it would have had much more impact, ESPECIALLY given that this was not one of her stronger programs to begin with and it could have used some. One of the advantages of seeing competitions live as opposed to actually being there is you get a much more intimate, close-up view of the program; if the cameras are gonna be hung from rafters, that pretty much destroys that.

I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    IS NOT FANTASTIC! Although I like the fact that I feel likeflying over the ice, I'm kinda scared that the thing would break from its wires and crash on the ice. KNOCK ON WOOD! :[ It makes me dizzy a little, too.

I posted my comments on another thread. I don't like it one bit. It's like watching from a hot air balloon. I couldn't get a feel of what the skater was doing. I need to see their face, their expressions, etc. I am going to e-mail someone (I'm not sure yet) and complain. This is a step "backwards" in my opinion.......42

What would Brian Boitano do?
    In the arena we were pretty interested to see the skycam, but just from the shots they showed on the monitor, I didn't like it.

Then we got back to the hotel last night, and since everything is tape delayed on the west coast, saw the ladies final again on tv. Skycam really is bad! Surprisingly bad! I can't believe no one at ABC took a look at some of the shots and said "scrap it." Maybe they were too invested at that point (it being sponsored and all).

Condolences to Joannie Rochette and her family cosmictears10's Avatar

Thumbs down

Bleh, I didnt enjoy it. It made me quite dizzy actually!

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

Crotch Cam

Is what I thought especially during some of the pairs and dance lifts. It made me dizzy at times too. But then I was sipping some wine so who knows.

I did not like it at all during footwork since you can't see the feet. It might have a place, but I would rather see them use it on more of an experimental basis to show some replays while we wait for scores.

Maybe I'm just getting too old to appreciate new tricks LOL.

DG

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh
    I agree with you and realtor gal completely.!

I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    Haha doggygirl. Crotch cam. They do a lift and they cut to the sky cam and the viewers are all "Oooh crotches".

I liked it, hope thye keep it for worlds. I see a lot don't care for it, but what if they only used it on the replay?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast