Recycled Programs Really Bug Me... | Golden Skate

Recycled Programs Really Bug Me...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I really don't understand why Orscher and Lucash had to recycle their SP from last year (which I didn't like then and don't like now--it's the music I dislike more than anything). If I understood correctly, their LP is another program taken from the recycle bin. They have MONTHS to prepare a new program. What's up with THAT? :p

Also, Jenny Kirk looks like she's wearing last year's dress. Is she doing that "Chicago" program again?

Vash01

Medalist
I too hate recycled programs. I feel it is unfair to other skaters when one skater (or pair) is skating a program he/she has skated a year longer. Of course there is no rule against it and no deductions but I think there should be a rule.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
because it's ok for a competitive skater to skate the same thing over and over

Heaven forbid a pro skater skate teh same number 2 shows in a row though you'll have 95% of the message board people screaming ;) :rofl:

Linny

Final Flight
Jenny's recycling

Jenny had so much off-ice time that I imagine getting another program together would have been difficult. If it's a choice between seeing a recycled program and seeing a program that has not had enough preparation, I'd prefer the former.

Naturally, my first choice would be for all skaters and their programs to be healthy, fresh, and fully prepared.

Linny

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The only prgram that should be recycled is Kurt Browning's "Brickhouse" :love:. I could also watch Kwan's "East of Eden" everyday and not tire of it.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
They should have a deduction of some sort. It is not fair to other skaters and not fair to us, the spectators! Who wants to see the same stuff over and over?

Yana

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
It can be really annoying, if you hate the music and/or the program. Especially the music. Brian Orser had a tendency to use either the same short or same long in his eligible days, but claimed that in the SP, with the new elements required each season, it always turned out to be a different program anyway.

Actually, there have been some programs (none of which I could list off the top of my head right now without digging through my archives, which I'm not in the mood to do at the moment :biggrin: ) that I wish WOULD have been repeated for another season; some programs get better and better the more they are done and some I've seen could have really evolved into something terrific given another season.

One example of a recycled program that really impressed me was Tatyana Malinina's "Aladdin" program, which she used for the 97-98 and 98-99 seasons. Then she dusted it off when she qualified for her last GPF (2001, I think) but she had almost completely re-done it and it didn't look like the same program at all, except the music was exactly the same.

But yes, there are ones that fall under the category of "Oh, Good Lord, is/are he/she/they dragging that tired old thing out one more time?" Too many of them, actually.

Peaches1972

Rinkside
Piel said:
The only prgram that should be recycled is Kurt Browning's "Brickhouse" :love:. I could also watch Kwan's "East of Eden" everyday and not tire of it.

I agree I loved Kurt Browning's :love: "Brickhouse"

I would like for Michelle to recycled Salome.

In general I wish skaters didn't recycle programs but I understand why they do.

Jhar55

Medalist
Oh Yeah!! Brickhouse, when ever I hear the song I think of Kurt and those shinny blue pants and white shirt :love: :rock:

nubka

Final Flight
Recycled programs...

Hadn't S & P's "Love Story" already been around for awhile when they used it at the SLC Olympics?? Not quite sure about that...

Hikaru

Final Flight
Piel said:

I don't remember much of Michelle's program, but I do love that piece of music of "East of Eden", it is a good piece for skating, I have it on a CD I listen to when I want a good night sleep, it's very relaxing.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
nubka said:
Hadn't S & P's "Love Story" already been around for awhile when they used it at the SLC Olympics?? Not quite sure about that...

yup, at least 2 or 3 seasons. I hated that LP..

Yana

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
More so than recycled programs, they should put a block on recycled "music"........but I think we already discussed that theme a couple hundred threads ago........ :p 42

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I thought Victor used that same program for many years longer than that. :rofl:

sure disliked his dog one too.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Doesn't bother me at all if they recycle a good program. Love O&L short. Love Jenny's Chicago.

Seems pretty often skaters keep one or the other program for 2 seasons. Makes sense to me.

Of course, some skaters pick new music, but do the same routine with a slight variation, maybe the dress color. Oh well, that's okay too. ;)

Kasey

Medalist
I think it annoys me because it affects my sense of "fairness". Like, it's not fair that one skater or pair has taken all the effort and work to put forward into new music, new costumes, new program, new moves, etc, and a different person or pair just reuses the "same old thing". I can understand when there has been illness or injury to be dealt with, maybe that needs to be done....but in other cases, it rather annoys me.

Kasey

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Then again, there have been some skaters in the past -- I'm not going to name names because that'll just start a whole firestorm I don't want to start, especially with Nationals going on [Perhaps I'll save it for the off season when we need more to talk about.... ;) ] who actually DO present new programs every year BUT the new programs pretty much look like the last 4 or 5 new programs they'd come up with in previous seasons so they may as well be using the SOS.... :sheesh: