New Skating Movie | Golden Skate

New Skating Movie

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Titled "Ice Princess", this is supposed to be released March 18. (Worlds week, ironically; tho I'm sure this is a coincidence as I doubt any studio bigwigs in charge would know that, tho you never know.) It stars Kim Cattrall (of all people) as a "pushy mother trying to live her ice-skating dream through her reluctant daughter until her daughter's friend proves to be a more eager pupil."

We'd probably do better to wait for it on DVD; I rather suspect this one is going to vanish fast.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Johnny,
Kim Catrell stars as a pushy COACH. Joan Cussack stars as the pushy mom. Seems destined to be a "feel good" family/teen angst movie. Though I usually don't waste my money on such, I will go see it to watch the skating on a big screen. What the hay, I spent 9.00 to watch the fabulous Julianne Moore act through a mindless piece of drivel called "The Missing" or whatever that unmemorable movie was. :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Thanks for the additional info, sk8m8; I was just going by the little blurb they had in USA TODAY this morning. Joan Cusack is always hysterical, so this might have some promise, especially if it gets marketed correctly.

I read that Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitano have small parts in the movie as television commentators.

Mathman

Glacierskater

On the Ice
sk8m8 said:
Johnny,
Kim Catrell stars as a pushy COACH. Joan Cussack stars as the pushy mom. Seems destined to be a "feel good" family/teen angst movie. Though I usually don't waste my money on such, I will go see it to watch the skating on a big screen. What the hay, I spent 9.00 to watch the fabulous Julianne Moore act through a mindless piece of drivel called "The Missing" or whatever that unmemorable movie was. :laugh:

Are you thinking of THE FORGOTTEN?

Our club will be organizing an outing with the skaters to see this at the theater when it comes out. I doubt that it will be a cinematic masterpiece, but it is skating, an it is always interesting to see how Hollywood perceives skating.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I just hope it's not another one of those movies where the girl is competing in an eligible competition (Sectionals, Regionals or the like) and she's skating in SPOTLIGHTS. That kind of thing annoys the crap out of me. I liked -- what was it called, the one about the ex-hockey player teaming up with the neurotic pairs champion -- The Cutting Edge, something like that -- but it drove me absolutely NUTS when they were supposed to be competing in the Olympics and the rink was completely dark except for the spotlights!!

backspin

On the Ice
This movie has gotten abysmal reviews, and if I recall, Ebert & Roper commented on how, even though this movie is based on skating, there's almost no skating in it. Maybe check around & see if you can find a plot summary before spending your money----might not be worth it if you're going to see the skating.

ETA--I tried to find the review online & couldln't--maybe I'm thinking of a different movie? Could have sworn it was this one.......

Last edited:

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I read that Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitano have small parts in the movie as television commentators.

Mathman

I'm sure they'll give Dick Button and Peggy Fleming a run for
their money ! :rofl:

--Hermy, who can't wait to see Michelle's movie debut ! :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
backspin said:
This movie has gotten abysmal reviews, and if I recall, Ebert & Roper commented on how, even though this movie is based on skating, there's almost no skating in it. Maybe check around & see if you can find a plot summary before spending your money----might not be worth it if you're going to see the skating.

ETA--I tried to find the review online & couldln't--maybe I'm thinking of a different movie? Could have sworn it was this one.......

I read that this wasn't supposed to be out till March 18, and that was just last week when I read it, so you might have it mixed up with something else. You might be thinking of this movie that was supposed to be out already or is coming out soon starring Claire Danes as a figure skater; I think it's a romantic comedy or a romantic drama of some sort. Mikkeline Kierkgaard, the former Danish champion, does the skating scenes for Claire Danes in it.

Jhar55

Medalist
I just went and saw Phantom of the Opera, oh god it was good :rock: I want to see it again. Not much talking, almost all the lines are sung, loved, loved, loved it. The ending was sad :cry:
But they show a preview of the ice movie and IMO wait for the DVD unless your bored and want something to do. The big deal is the girl takes up skating and can do triple axel, yeah right :rofl: :rofl: .