9.8 10.0 9.4 9.7 9.5 9.8 9.9 10.0 9.5

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Current Standings:
1. Brittany Vise and Nicholas Kole
2. Julian Burns and Themistocles Leftheris
3. Katie Beriau and Joseph Gazzola

JOHIO2

Medalist
Sailor, I second that emotion! (about hating basketball. at least this time it didn't take 15 minutes to play less than 3 minutes on the clock.)

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
don't celebrate too soon

STL_Blues_fan said:
Final standings are posted at

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Live_Event_Results.asp

Katie and Garret win
Rena and John second
Aaron and Marci 3rd (yeah!!! can't wait too see them on TV!)

Tiff and Scott pull up to 4th.
Don and Hunt in 6th

Yana

This was a travesty!!! Okay, first, thank God someone actually WON the pairs event this year. Orscher and Lukash did it!! Rena and John were a close second.

I am at a complete loss as to how to explain how Hinzmann and Parchem ended up 3rd???? :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging:

I had to go get drunk after this competition. (And I like Marci and Aaron, don't get me wrong. It's not their fault)

Their program was a DISASTER and was recognized as such by everyone in the audience and by Marci and Aaron. Marci even fell taking her final bow; we cheered her on, but everyone felt, yeah, that about sums up your skate. Loads of sympathy!!

But then the judges gave them VERY generous marks. Some booing and consternation from what has been an extremely polite and enthusiastic crowd.

Then Evora and Ladwig skate last. Admittedly it's not a perfect program- a double and a fall. But beautiful choreography, passion... And they were placed FIFTH!! OUTRAGE!! DISBELIEF!! Polite Portlanders near riot!! SHAME. 6.0 is a farce. USFSA is worse than ISU, worse than that French judge from SLC. Who cares if you know what judge makes what mark if they are free to completely disregard clear evidence?

SLC may have been a bigger stage, and heightened by the fact that it was for the gold, but this judging was the worst I've ever seen. Un$@#*ingbelievable.

It should have been:

O & L
I & B
Evora & Ladwig !!!! (the only clean short program, too, by the way.)
D & H
S & D
H & P

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well, I'm withholding judgement until I actually see the thing this evening, but according to the paper, Orscher & Lucash actually skated a CLEAN program, and that is certainly a step in the right direction. We haven't seen one of THOSE win National Pairs in QUITE a long time.....

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
Well, I'm withholding judgement until I actually see the thing this evening, but according to the paper, Orscher & Lucash actually skated a CLEAN program, and that is certainly a step in the right direction. We haven't seen one of THOSE win National Pairs in QUITE a long time.....

Yes, they definitely won it, and it was great to see. They got a huge roar from the crowd and standing ovation. I thought he had a bit of a two-foot on a landing. Their footwork at the end was slow (he was sick with a virus recently- you could tell he was winded in practice). Great to see them pull it out. Her landings on the throws were excellent, particularly the 3-salchow (I think). She gets such height she's able to open up completely in the air, like there's a pause before she lands.

Inouye and Baldwin stand it up- he two-foots the lutz, a shaky turn-out from a throw.

The rest- okay, no one was clean, but judges have a lot to answer for... :mad:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
From what I'm reading, this [Evora & Ladwig vs. Hinzmann & Parchem] is starting to sound like the Courtland & Reynolds vs. Kuchiki & Marval controversy from the 94 Nationals, when supposedly (I say that because I didn't see it) Kuchiki & Marval WAY outskated Courtland & Reynolds, and yet C & R won the bronze anyway, putting K & M in 4th. Maybe this kind of thing is why we don't see a lot of clean programs in National Pairs -- they figure why bother??

It reminds me of something that Carol Heiss once said about a Sectionals competition a student of hers was in where there were mistakes galore, and Heiss (who loves to handicap events) said, "Well, with all those mistakes, it's just a question of who they like". This does seem to be the theme with National Pairs. The question is, why are some liked better than others when no-one is especially outstanding?

Spinner

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
From what I'm reading, this [Evora & Ladwig vs. Hinzmann & Parchem] is starting to sound like the Courtland & Reynolds vs. Kuchiki & Marval controversy from the 94 Nationals, when supposedly (I say that because I didn't see it) Kuchiki & Marval WAY outskated Courtland & Reynolds, and yet C & R won the bronze anyway, putting K & M in 4th.
Exactly. C/R tripped over each other and/or fell **3** times in their LP while K/M were relatively clean (I can't remember exactly, I don't have them on tape). C/R were a complete mess, yet that's the team they sent to the Olympics--super embarrassing. I remember cracking up when Lloyd Eisler said right to the camera after he and Isabelle finished skating, "This one's for you, Rocky!". Even he knew it was a crap judgment call.

lulu

Final Flight
Besides O&L and I&B, who seemed solidly 1/2, there seemed to a lot of different opinions between posters and the judges over what order 3-6 should have been in.

I would have loved to see D&H end up higher than 6th. On paper, it seemed as if they should have been higher. But, at the same time, their SP didn't seem as solid as they're Grand Prix SPs. So maybe they we're having some "quality" issues with their LP? I would love to see them come back next year and end up on the podium. :)

Were H&P's unision/stroking/speed/edging that good to provide them a cushion with their mistakes? Obviously, there is more to skating besides just landing the jumps.Peter C. mentioned their stroking, I believe during the K&C, to explain why they got their marks. I know things look different live, but on paper and on TV, it was a little bit suprising.

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I'm probably going to get shot for this, but I thought Garrett was just too stiff, especially in the final footwork sequence. He looked like he wasn't attacking the program. It looked more like he was fighting the movement, rather than MOVING. Granted, I am glad they finally skated clean and won, but he needs to work with a modern dance teacher or something...someone who'll help him move.

Inoue and Baldwin's FS music needs to be RECUT. I don't think the Intermezzo fit in the middle as the slow section. There are TONS of TransSiberian Orchestra pieces that would've fit better in that middle section. The Mozart section in the end sounds horrible...but, I do think they had more charisma and are more natural with their movement than Orsher and Lucash.

*ducks*