An Interesting Idea For GS Members | Golden Skate

An Interesting Idea For GS Members

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
In another thread (I can't remember which one) a member (I can't recall who) raised this question, "How do you think the skaters would feel if they were to read what is written about them (in forums, etc.)?"

This started me thinking that we have the very resources here to find out how WE would feel!

Who are your Gold, Silver and Bronze medalists here at Golden Skate? Follow the rules, and absolutely NO BASHING, and we are looking for comments about the best!

My top 3:

Joesitz: You are the Dick Button of the forum! :rock:

mzheng: Great "spy" reports and knowledge of skating. Not artistic in written English, but technically great like Chencheng Li.

ptichka (sic): Great European/Russian information, translations, point of view. :rock:

p.s. As for myself---eh, bland, sarcastic with pragmatic viewpoints regarding skating and sport. Not much to write home about, but OK.

Have fun, but no bashing!

p.s. Moderators---if this thread is too silly or volitile, remove it!!!

Linny

Final Flight
GS members

Gold for Mathman. He brings intelligence to his posts, but also laughs at his infatuations.
Silver and Bronze, I have no idea.
Pewter to ME ME ME for keeping it succinct.
Linny

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ah, bronze for me - I'm flattered. :eek:

Platinum - RGirl. OK, so she hasn't been too much around here laterly (hint, hint), but when she is here she can always be counted on to write extremely thoughtful very detailed analyses of whatever is needed.

Gold - MM. Intelligent, sometimes passionate, but doesn't let his emotions run away with him.

Silve - Joesitz. A slightly cynical but never evil look.

Bronze - Hockeyfan. Our own CoP expert!!!

Pewter - Tonichelle. Very committed to the forum, patriotic, and passionate.

Nickel - tie between Bronzeis and Piel. Always look at any problem from a human perspective.

Tied for Aluminum - Show42 (intelligence), IDLERACER (fun), mzheng (inside knowledge), Ladskater (feminitnity), GGrandma (wisdom and warmth), RealtorGal, ThisThingCalledLove, Jaana, euterpe, and all others I can't recall right now.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Oh...these are always so difficult to do! Everyone brings something to the table, but I will write about the other members that I often have exchanges with.

GOLD: RGirl - Come back! LOL.....no, I haven't had time to be around much lately, either. RGirl is extremely intelligent and can always be counted on to deliver a very detailed, humorous analysis of...well...just about anything!

SILVER: Mathman - I hate math, so I'm glad there is someone here that can calculate the weight of the earth, etc! He also is very intelligent and compassionate and usually tries to look at things from every angle. We also have matching Michelle Kwan hair dolls!

BRONZE: Ptichka - I love Russian history and I find her input on different topics fascinating. She is also quite intelligent and can be counted on to offer insightful posts on everything from skating and history to politics.

PEWTER: Granny (I think she has such a gentle/sweet quality), Ladskater (my forklift operating movie buddy), Tonichelle (great photography!), Show42 (very agreeable), Piel (Politically....I think we are twins..lol!), Joesitz (definitely our Dick Button), Vash (interesting opinions), RealtorGal (a great mind and sense of humor!), and many, many others.

Actually, I enjoy GS so much because I like everyone. Occassionaly, we have some nasty poster that disrupts things, but generally they go just a quickly as they come. I guess I am one of the those bleeding heart cornballs that would give a ribbon to everyone!

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, Joesitz and Mathman score gold medals. I enjoy reading many of the views expressed by many of you, but of course I don't agree with everything you write. That's perfectly OK with me.

I guess none of you appreciate my long-winded "Flashback" posts on past World Championships? Oh well...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I love the personality of this board!!

The World Wide Web is a big place, and there is a place for everyone. I have huge respect for freedom of speech, so that's all good!

That being said, I think any discussion community has a right to evolve a particular style that a particular audience is comfortable with. I love the fact that GS is a warm and friendly board, and that the moderators and regular posting members encourage keeping it that way. There are plenty of other place on the Web that chosse a different personality - more along the lines of sniping and griping, slashing and bashing.

There is obviously a group of FS fans who prefer a more respectful environment - me included. I am grateful to have discovered the GS community. I love the fact that the community itself enjoys this climate, so it's not just the moderators "enforcing rules" or anything that helps create and maintain it. (not to underestimate the important roles of the moderators in this!!)

I couldn't possibly rank participants as I don't view discussion board participation as a competition. Just want to say that I appreciate the community as a whole, and I have really enjoyed the companionship here over the last 1+year!! I am looking forward to hopefully meeting many of you at 2006 nats.

DG

S

SkateFan4Life

Doggygirl said:
The World Wide Web is a big place, and there is a place for everyone. I have huge respect for freedom of speech, so that's all good!

That being said, I think any discussion community has a right to evolve a particular style that a particular audience is comfortable with. I love the fact that GS is a warm and friendly board, and that the moderators and regular posting members encourage keeping it that way. There are plenty of other place on the Web that chosse a different personality - more along the lines of sniping and griping, slashing and bashing.

There is obviously a group of FS fans who prefer a more respectful environment - me included. I am grateful to have discovered the GS community. I love the fact that the community itself enjoys this climate, so it's not just the moderators "enforcing rules" or anything that helps create and maintain it. (not to underestimate the important roles of the moderators in this!!)

I couldn't possibly rank participants as I don't view discussion board participation as a competition. Just want to say that I appreciate the community as a whole, and I have really enjoyed the companionship here over the last 1+year!! I am looking forward to hopefully meeting many of you at 2006 nats.

DG

Thank you, Doggygirl! I, too, appreciate having found this wonderful message board where the spirit is friendly, the participants are knowledgeable and passionate about the sport of figure skating, and everyone shares their views in an easy, non-critical way (for the most part).

I really do not care to "rate" my fellow participants, as this kind of reminds of of Valentine's Day at grammar school, in which the "popular" kids received all the Valentines' and the other kids received just a handful. Personally, I don't think this kind of popularity contest is needed, but of course, in the spirit of free speech, it's perfectly acceptable.

I appreciate all of you, ladies and gentlemen. May we all have many years to enjoy ourselves as participants on GS. :biggrin:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
We can't let the folks at nationals have them all so I say 6.0 across the board for the entire board! :rock: :rock: :rock:

IDLERACER

Medalist
I shudder at the thought of any well known female skater reading anything in these forums, especially if her last name ends with either "ova" or "aya." They'd all probably want to put police restraining orders on me. :p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
awwwwwww a pewter for me? really? aw shucks!

now I can say I'm the Jenny Kirk of Golden Skate (ha ha)

thanks! :)

*back to sitting and waiting to go to the rink*

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't think the poster that came up with this idea meant for it to be a "popularity" contest. I looked at it as a chance to say nice things about the people I have the most contact with. Naturally, you can't form relationships with everyone on this board because there are so many, but I think the basic idea/purpose was a good one. Perhaps next time we will disregard any type of ranking system!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Bronzeis I am honored to be your political twin. I say we make a run for the Whitehouse in 2008. You can be the prez and do all the work while I attend royal weddings and state funerals. :p We will need to bring on as our staff:
Princess Leppard as Secretary of Fashion
RGirl as press secretary
Show as secretary of education
RGal administrator over all goverment property
Grgranny head of protocol
Ptichka secretary of foriegn affairs
Toni will be our token Republican and official White House photographer
Bronx for surgeon general
RedDog to represent us at the UN
Doggygirl as secretary of animal rescue
Michelle Kwan for secretary of the newly formed department of figure skating, our goal....a rink in every school :rock:
and...
Mathman to do all of the number stuff

You may have noticed that we have no need for a defense department. :agree:

Do you think we could get Dick Button to speak at our inauguration? ;)

The Lincoln Bedroom is always open for a GS slumber party! :)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hey, this is a cool idea :)

Seriously, I think Golden Skate is the best general skating board on the net. We're a large, yet close community. Of course we have our arguments and misfits (which message board does NOT have that? :laugh: ) but in the end, we forgive each other and get back to business as usual. I'm thankful to have found this community, and am most comfortable posting and expressing my opinion here.

(Now if people would just stop calling me a (fill-in-the-name-of-the-skater) fan! :biggrin: )

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I would like to award everyone here a "Ribbon of Participation" for being a great group of figure skating fans........... :agree: 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
Bronzeis I am honored to be your political twin. I say we make a run for the Whitehouse in 2008. You can be the prez and do all the work while I attend royal weddings and state funerals. :p We will need to bring on as our staff:
Princess Leppard as Secretary of Fashion
RGirl as press secretary
Show as secretary of education
RGal administrator over all goverment property
Grgranny head of protocol
Ptichka secretary of foriegn affairs
Toni will be our token Republican and official White House photographer
Bronx for surgeon general
RedDog to represent us at the UN
Doggygirl as secretary of animal rescue
Michelle Kwan for secretary of the newly formed department of figure skating, our goal....a rink in every school :rock:
and...
Mathman to do all of the number stuff

You may have noticed that we have no need for a defense department. :agree:

Do you think we could get Dick Button to speak at our inauguration? ;)

The Lincoln Bedroom is always open for a GS slumber party! :)

:laugh: Yeay!!!!!!!! I like that idea.. but watch out if you do something to Alaska that I don't like! :laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Grgranny,

Good idea (song leader). I would like to volunteer for the job. That is, if RG turns it down.

I don't "know" all of you, except for Tonichelle and iluvtodd, well enough to decide which ranking you should get....
But I, too, appreciate the fact that everyone here is respectful, kind and courteous.....so if only for that....
6.0's and Gold for everybody!