Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The US Men - Brilliant at Nationals !!

SkateFan4Life

The US Men - Brilliant at Nationals !!

Here's the write-up from the USFSA website on the men's short program.

Goebel, Weir, Lysacek, Savoie -- You Go, Guys !!!

http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=28520

SkateFan4Life
    It's great to see Goebel skating so well, and with some artistry, to boot!

SkateFan4Life
    It looks as though the USA may be sending the strongest men's team to the World Championships that it's sent in many years. Two of the three men are solid contenders for medals.

Thumbs up

I must say that timmy looked great. His artistic side it starting to show somewhat. Much better than it the past.

Johnny Wier: what a great skater. However, He will need a quad or two in order to win an olympic medal or world medal. Right now Plush is all by himself. Brian J. can compete yes. But, with a clean plush Brian is a silver meadlist.

But, With the way Both timmy & Johnny are skating right now. I am very pleased.

Custom Title
    Jonny W was brilliant in the LP!!!! And NO..he will not need a quad to get the silver World and Oly medal behind, Plushy...Jonny, has the advantage under the new judging system over Brian J..
    Last edited by equestrianguy; 01-15-2005 at 05:56 PM.

It's all about Plushenko.

Thumbs up

This was an excellent competition!
    Shaun Rogers reminded me a little bit of Ilia Klimkin.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Johnny -- Well, I wasn't especially a fan of his before, but after he skates like that and all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW for about 45 seconds, I guess I am now! BRILLIANT!!! He skated just like he was skating on a pond someplace in the middle of a forest and he heard the music come from some unknown source and just started skating to it for the fun of it. This, I understand, is how Janet Lynn used to skate. Absolutely magical.

Tim -- One of his better performances, IMO, despite a few rough spots. I wonder what he was saying (to himself or to Somebody Up There) before he started? Anyone good at lip-reading?

Evan -- This program has come a long way from the mishmash mess I thought it was at Skate America. He was having a lot of fun out there and given the overall demeanor of the rest of the top 5, that was a pleasure to see.

Matt -- I don't think style really works for him. The skating itself was of very high quality, but I found the choreography a bit off and he could have used more spark.

Michael -- He seems to lose ground every year, IMO, and this as far as I was concerned was a new low. Slow, tedious, and really a half-a***ed mess that was an insult to anyone who paid to see it. He showed more spark strutting around catching footballs after the performance than he did during it. NO energy whatsoever. It looks to me like he's lost more weight; it occurs to me that he was a much better skater back when he was all buffed up.

Shaun -- I think Uncle Dick was a little hard on him (tho for the most part I agreed with most of what Uncle Dick had to say, which is odd); I think he did very well for his Final Group debut, and following the rather mellow or listless efforts of Savoie and Weiss, it was good to see someone show actually even a LITTLE spark. And the jumps that he didn't have problems with were just incredible; terrific height.

I agree that Johnny was spectacular. Wow! I actually think that a world medal is a real possibility for him even without the quad. Even with it, I don't see him challenging Plushenko yet; though if Evgeni stays on after Turin, it can certainly become a bona fide rivalry.

Wasn't impressed with Tim at all. Why can't he hold those positions longer? I also felt no connection between him and the music. Also, I don't think his program was build to CoP -- oto much empty skating between elements.

Enjoyed Evan a lot. A well deserved bronze. He really seemed to have fun out there. Glad we'll get to see him at Wolds as well.

P.S. I thought it was classy of Johnny to mention both "other" Americans on the team as potential Plushy rivals.

Custom Title
    Johnny made a couple of mistakes on the footwork and one of his spins traveled a lot. I thought 5.9 technical (without a quad) were too high for that performance. Can't disagree with the presentation marks though. He can get away with a few mistakes because of his artistry.

I did not care for Evan's program that much. He is no Gene Kelly. He is just a 19 year old kid with talent and a bright future. In the present, Matt should have placed 3rd, higher than Evan.

This is definitely a very strong US mens team at worlds. In fact this could be the strongest US team in all 4 disciplines. In the ladies the top 3 are going to be strong again, regardless of who places 1,2,3. We even have a really strong ice dance team now.

Vash

It's all about Plushenko.
    Just need a strong pairs program, and I'll be pleased as a pig in blank!

Quote Originally Posted by nicole_l
    Just need a strong pairs program, and I'll be pleased as a pig in blank!
    it's coming. give them a season or two.

Lightbulb

When Timothy Goebel skated right after Michael Weiss, I couldn't help but notice that the competition briefly turned into a showdown between Led Zeppelin and Queen. You know, I would never have pegged Dick Button to be such an authority on 70s heavy metal.

ok, now I officially want to see that part of the competition. Hey, did Evan use the same costume for his singin' in the rain program as he did in Marshall's? is it me or it looks very much alike to Timmy's an american in paris costume??

Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru
    Hey, did Evan use the same costume for his singin' in the rain program as he did in Marshall's? is it me or it looks very much alike to Timmy's an american in paris costume??
    Well why not? Since they're both skating to music made famous by Gene Kelly, they might as well dress similarly.

I must be in the minority but I wasn't thrilled with Evan's program. Tim looked like he was rather bored and lackluster, although I think his presentation has improved a lot. Johnny was FIRST RATE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast